Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Irish, Scots-Irish, and Southern

Irish, Scots-Irish, and Southern

Posted by Bob on September 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm

"I got some comments on “Me and the Irish” that made me want to make some points that people today are not exposed to. Pretty random, but interesting at least to me.

It is true that the “Scots-Irish” are not Irish, but Scot Protestants
who lived in Ireland for generations and then moved to America. That
does not mean, though, that they are not Celtic. Gaelic, aka, “Irish”
us spoken in large parts of Scotland because of a combination of words
you don’t hear much: Irish Imperialism.

Back in the first millennium, the Picts controlled a huge part of
Scotland. They spoke a language just as Celtic as Gaelic, in the same
way that Italian is just as Latin as Spanish, but Pictish was a
different language, just as Italian is different from Spanish. The
Irish conquered that area and today its Gaelic is the same as Irish
Gaelic. By the time of Cromwell a lot of the Pictish blood was in the
Scots who went to Ireland as enemies.

Another thing that is forgotten today is that in New England the
inferiority of Southern blood was explained by the heavy admixture of
Celtic in it. You can still see some of that in Mencken.

The Buckleys always correct people and insist they are “ANGLO-Irish.”
In the Southern Partisan in the 1980’s, Bill Buckley’s brother wrote a
vicious column about Irish blood that offended my friend Doctor Shanty
deeply.

Most people wouldn’t understand these complications today. The Scots
Irish were not Irish, but they were heavily Celtic. Those Scots Irish
were sent in to crush the wild Irish and then they went to America.
The poor Indians didn’t stand a dog’s chance against the product of
all that.

Both Calhoun and Jackson were prototypical Scots-Irishmen. In fact,
they looked so much alike that in Europe their portraits would get
mixed up. If I were an Indian, I wouldn’t want to run into either one
of them in a dark forest."

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2...-and-southern/
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Sep 26, 4:28*am, Bret L wrote:
[...]

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2...ts-irish-and-s...

The more correct name for Scots-Irish would be Ulster Scots -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Scots_people

-Neb

Me and the Irish Bret L Audio Opinions 0 September 24th 09 11:19 PM
Any good Irish jokes ? Phil Allison Vacuum Tubes 14 March 26th 08 05:49 AM
New Irish Discussion Group Mr.Brewer Tech 0 June 12th 06 11:18 PM
Microphone for recorder and Irish whistle Markus Geigl Pro Audio 7 November 17th 03 11:01 AM