Posted to rec.audio.high-end
neuroman53 neuroman53 is offline

Default Interesting NAD quandry for the experienced! Need advice

Hello, everyone, this is my first post.
I have a 5 year-old NAD T-753 receiver that I really dig. It is, in my
opinion, quite a workhorse, and sounds as close to separates as you're
likely to get in an integrated unit. The trouble is, about 3 weeks
ago, it started shutting down after about 45 minutes of use. When I
say "turns off" I mean that if you interact with it in any way, or
affect a signal that is being fed to it, the amplifier portion shuts
down, generally along with the front display. If you leave it
completely alone, however, it will run indefinitely (i.e., hooking up
an iPod on shuffle for three hours). The moment you pause the source,
change the channel, or move to increase the volume on the amp, it's
done. To get it back up and running, I hard power down for about 30
minutes, and everything is back to new. This happens reliably.
Finally, it's not going into protect mode, as I've seen it do that
before (PROTECT flashes on the front display, and the amp remains
unresponsive until it cools down).
I have always had it running through a powervar 12 amp conditioner,
along with my Sony 9000ES SACD/DVD player and a 50" Hitachi plasma. I
know it's not a power problem there. I tried moving the main rig to
another room, to see if it was an issue, perhaps, with a worn breaker.
Not the case. The amp reliably turned off after about 45 minutes.
So, what's going on? Is there a bad/loose fuse inside? A bus, perhaps?
Which of you knows the answer?
Thanks for reading, hope I gave enough info

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stephen McElroy Stephen McElroy is offline

In article ,
neuroman53 wrote:

Which of you knows the answer?

Bad board? My T-753 shuts downs with a pop as soon as it powers up.

The last thing it amplified properly was the Who Isle of Man concert
film. Probably not related to the problem.

I replaced it with a cheaper NAD receiver that is working fine.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mary Miller Mary Miller is offline

On Aug 7, 5:42*pm, neuroman53 wrote:
[...]

It sounds like a thermal issue of some sort but it is indeed unusual.
You might want to buy a can of circuit cooler (Freez-it) and see if
you can isolate what circuit component is causing the problem.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Fred. Fred. is offline

[...]

I have a NAD 742 I bought on closeout, not long before you bought your
receiver. I'm very fond of mine, so you have my sympathy. I have no
idea what your problem is, but, given the consistant timing, I'd
expect it could be heat related. Maybe something heats up and then
fails when you demand something of it, or you have a protective device
gone bad when something gets to a normal peak temperature. If so, it
may need professional help.

On the other hand, once, when my unit was doing bizarre things, I was
able to clear the condition by doing a sytem reset on the the unit to
the factory settings. The instruction manual will tell you how, and
if it's missing you can probably find a pdf version on the NAD website
under support at http://nadelectronics.com. Make a note of your
settings and tuner presets as this will wipe them out.

Luck,

Fred.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

neuroman53 wrote:
Hello, everyone, this is my first post.
I have a 5 year-old NAD T-753 receiver that I really dig. It is, in my
opinion, quite a workhorse, and sounds as close to separates as you're
likely to get in an integrated unit. The trouble is, about 3 weeks
ago, it started shutting down after about 45 minutes of use.

You almost certainly have a heat-related problem within the
unit itself. Since you're losing, it seems, both the power
amp and the display, I'd suspect something in the power supply.

If I were to try to diagnose this myself, I'd get a can
of component cooler spray. Carefully spray a little on
each component in the power supply and wait a few seconds
and see if the problem goes away. If it is a heat-related
component problem, this could pinpoint the faulty component
in a fairly short period. One complication may be that it
has to power cycle to reset itself, but the cooler spray
will shorten the cycle from hours to seconds. Another
complication is that it could be several components.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I have repaired a few of these beasts - and yes, it is heat-related.
Sadly, it is a combination of ill-chosen components in a minimalist
design, so the fixing of it by replacing the bad component in-kind
only defers the problem until the next failure.

Yes, it is heat-related. If you can find the bad component, and it is
accessible (there is a little space around it), you might try super-
gluing a bit of flat copper or aluminum on it as a heat-sink.
Definitely try this if you have to replace it on the new component -
if space permits. See "execution" below.

I dislike NAD components. They are that combination of very nice
sounding, decent looking items together with wretched execution. A
reasonable automotive parallel would be the Jaguar XKE 12-cylinder
with the six SU carburetors. Glorious when it runs - but it doesn't
run much.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Fred. Fred. is offline

On Aug 9, 4:00*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I may have had exceptional luck, but my T742, which was very late
production, has run, with one processor reset, since 2001. However,
one of the things I did when I realized how much heat it generated was
immmediately move it to a completely open shelf.

Fred.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

I've had similar issues with other gear, don't have a NAD

invariably it is one of two things, in this order:
1. bad solder connection (or hairline crack in circuit board)
2. internally bad component

I've seen a LOT of #1, only one case of #2, that was the vert oscilator on a
TV set 25 or more years ago, but heat stress, particularly with the
transition to non-lead solder will cause problems - I would go through the
power supply and resolder every connection, and I'd inspect the other boards
with a loup and see if I can see anything suspicious (and repair as
required)

"neuroman53" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Thomas Thomas is offline

On 8 Aug, 03:58, "Fred." wrote:
[...]

Fred.- Dölj citerad text -

- Visa citerad text -

I have a NAD 741 receiver that suddenly stopped receiving commands
from the remote control. I think a system reset would be one way to
clear this condition, but I can not find information about how to make
a system reset. I see that it has been done successfully on the 742
model, but I have looked through the 741/742 manuals without finding
any information on how to do a reset. Does anyone know the secret?

Thanks,
Thomas

Anyone experienced with soundcards? Ken in Dallas Pro Audio 17 July 23rd 06 06:29 PM
Any one experienced JBL SCD180.6S? GR Audio Opinions 1 March 12th 06 10:02 PM
slave subwoofer impedance quandry Sugarite Vacuum Tubes 9 September 30th 04 06:16 PM
2 deck quandry rick donnelly Car Audio 9 December 16th 03 02:49 PM
Are you experienced ? Lionel Chapuis Audio Opinions 3 July 31st 03 09:56 PM