Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Mike Cawood, HND BIT Mike Cawood, HND BIT is offline

Default Technics MASH CD-Players have always been massively underrated

"Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer" wrote in
message eriade.it...
In the early nineties I listened to Technics' MASH CD players on
various audio fairs and I was blown away by the sound quality, the
dynamics, the tonal reproduction and the 'live' sound of these players.
Now after nearly two decades I decided to purchase a used Technics MASH
player for a pittance and I found it to be superiour in sound quality
to my brand new Denon (which uses comparable Delta-Sigma D/A
converters).

I am of the opinion that the Technics MASH based CD-players have always
been massively underrated by the audio press. If you really listen
you'll hear that the MASH players sound much better than their
counterparts. The audio press is dominated by commercial interests and
hardly by sound quality and in the past they rated the Technics players
as good but unexceptional.

I'm now bargain hunting for a cheap, used, high-end Technics model.
Last I heard these (in the 90's) its sound quality really shocked me.
And I've never heard anything comparable since.

My advise to everyone would be to get yourself a used Technics CD-
player, preferably one of the higher end models, which you can buy for
around $100-$150. It's really sad that Matsu****a stopped making
Technics equipment in 2005 due to lack of demand. MASH based CD-players
can still be found in the hifi audio sets from Panasonic, though.

I HEREBY DECLARE THE TECHNICS MASH CD-PLAYERS TO BE THE BEST SOUNDING
CD-PLAYERS ON THE PLANET

I'm pleased with mine (SL-PG490) which I got for a tenner (ten pounds for
aliens) on ebay.
Regards Mike.

Beatle remixes & mash ups [email protected] Pro Audio 35 March 5th 07 04:59 PM
older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both? spronk Audio Opinions 4 November 1st 06 11:43 AM
MP3 players Sean Scott Car Audio 17 February 25th 05 01:26 PM
cd/mp3 players Fred Bloggs Audio Opinions 8 October 1st 03 03:37 PM
Any difference between cheapo CD players and super expensive high end cd players? William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 6 August 4th 03 11:49 AM