Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 2:58 pm, "Walker" wrote:
It's similar to a top level wine from the same
vineyard and winery but a year apart.

And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
accepted in the high end audio realm?

Any of
us, even wine connoisseurs unfamiliar with that
particular wine, will think that both wines are
identical and so will the guy writing for the food
magazine but those used to that wine will recognize
the difference immediately.

And are more than willing to submit themselves to
properly controlled blind testing.

Your preconceived notions are showing. You might
want to see to that.

What I was referring to is that someone who is familiar with something
notices subtle changes before anyone who is not familiar with it and I was
using the fine wine as the concept of high end and not run of the mill.

I have no qualms about double blind testing and I've issued a challenge if
you read that far. I'm willing to be tested under my controlled conditions
and by people who are qualified. I'm not about to let every Tom, Dick and
Harry into my house and I'll only do it two or three times but I'm willing
and prepared to be shown up if that's what reality dictates.

Bob W
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:58:44 -0700, Walker wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:07:28 -0700, Walker wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

A lot of people get deluded this way, so you're not alone. But believe me
if
you were to switch between your old cables and the new ones in a
double-blind
evaluation, you would not be able to tell one cable from the other. No one
ever has been able to it. You see, the properties of wire are well known.
Have been for decades. Between DC and about 100KHz, there is nothing that
you
can do to Interconnects less than 10 ft long or speaker cables less than
25
ft long without external components added to them that would affect the
sound
in any way.

Have any of you actually tried a set of these cables or are you simply going
by what you've read or heard and accepted it as fact because it looks good
on paper?

No, I have not actually tried a set of these expensive cables lately, but on
the other hand, I haven't flapped my arms while I jump off a roof either,
but I know that doing so will NOT result in my flying. Just as I know that
nothing that one can do with wire and a set of connectors will have any
affect on an audio signal, and for the same reason. The laws of physics says
that wire is wire from DC to at least 50 KHz. I have, in the past, however
been privy to a number of double-blind listening tests of highly touted and
expensive cables vs the cheap molded variety, and nobody on a panel of audio
experts, including some rather famous ones, could detect any difference
whatsoever between the two.

It's a point of refining what is already highly refined and the difference
is very subtle but obvious when you know your system. It's not going to make
any difference with a Radio Shack system but it blends in with the upgraded
parts of a high end system and doesn't become the weak link in the chain.

I do advocate the use of good interconnects which are well made. In fact, I
recommend the use "quasi-balanced" interconnects (where the shield is not
part of the cable, carries no current, and is just an electromagnetic and
electrostatic shield. Good connections, kept clean and as air-tight as
possible are important. It is also important for the wire used in the cables
to be well soldered to the connectors and not just crimped. This is in the
name of reliability and a low noise floor, however, not in the name of one
cable sounding better than another.

There's nothing wrong with decent lamp cord and interconnects slightly
better than those that come with stereos but neither are the OEM connectors,
transformers, tubes, capacitors, resistors and coils etc on high end gear
yet some of us can't wait to upgrade them. Why not the cables that connect
them all?

As long as you understand that simple cables will neither enhance or detract
from your system's performance as long the above criteria are met, there is
nothing wrong with upgrading one's cables. Just don't expect a $1000 pair of
say, speaker cables, to sound any "better" than the same length of 14 gauge
lamp cord.

It's similar to a top level wine from the same vineyard and winery but a
year apart. Any of us, even wine connoisseurs unfamiliar with that
particular wine, will think that both wines are identical and so will the
guy writing for the food magazine but those used to that wine will recognize
the difference immediately.

No, it's not similar at all. Wine is the result of a long process filled with
variables, many of which are NOT under the wine maker's direct control.
Weather, rainfall, soil conditions vary from one growing season to the next,
the wine maker cannot control these and they make a big difference in the
quality of the final product. Wire. OTOH, is wire. as long as it's copper,
connected firmly to the connectors at each end and the connectors themselves
make decent contact, there are no variables. Now different cable
manufacturers will tell you that the way they orient the cable strands in
their products or the type of insulation they use make them sound "better"
and may spew-out marketing mumbo-jumbo about suppressing spurious outside
magnetic fields, etc., but this is all stuff and nonsense AT AUDIO
FREQUENCIES. Now, at 100 MHz, it is every bit possible that these things
might make a difference, but from DC to 50 or even 100 KHz in runs for
speaker cable of less than 50 Ft from the amplifier and in interconnects less
than 20 ft from component to component, these things simply do not apply in
any audible way.

If a couple of you are interested and have enough experience with audiophile
systems to report back on it here I'll agree to participate in a test at my
house with my system and the recordings of my choice. I'll have the
components outside the stand with easy access to the interconnects and the
speaker wires are all on banana plugs. It's all tube gear and can't be
turned off and on rapidly but this can't be a rapid test and will take time
between changes. It may be weird and I'll only do it a few times but if I
can't convince you with 80% accuracy from 10 changes over a couple of hours
I'll buy you lunch. However, if I do hit 8/10 you'll buy me lunch and suffer
my ridicule. Who knows; it might be over quickly with three wrong choices
but even on blind guessing I'll probably hit 50% and not crap out before six
tries. Worse thing that can happen to you, aside from buying lunch, is that
you'll enjoy a couple of hours with a kick ass system and you might even say
"Screw the test and I'm buying lunch but I just want to listen to music".

Could be That I would enjoy your system immensely, but OTOH, WRT your test,
been there, done that. and there is no difference. There can't be. It's as
impossible as jumping off a roof, flapping your arms and flying. Physics says
that both are impossible and so they are.

I'm in Las Vegas and some of you will be coming here because that's what a
lot of people do. Email me and we'll trade phone numbers and maybe set up
something. If you don't have a car I'll come and get you and take you back
to your hotel.

There are only three options; I can tell the difference, I can't tell the
difference or I just like going out to lunch.

Bob Walker

Will do next time I'm heading out to Vegas.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Scott wrote:
:
: And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
: is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
: accepted in the high end audio realm?

It is, unfortunately, not de rigeur in wine tastings.
It seems more common that in audio, but, for example,
Robert Parker, the most powerful man in the wine world,
refuses to do blind tastings, apparently:

http://www.slate.com/?id=2067055

: I know a few wine connoisseurs, none of which have done any double
: blind taste testing in building their wine collections. do you think
: that is a problem?

Depends on whether they make claims to the effect that wine X is remarkably
superior to wine Y, X represents the terroire better, or whatever parallels
the claims among audio delusionists. If it's just "I like French burgundies,
and I particularly like this one, so I bought a case", then of course not.

But suppose, to make up an example, a wine company started
marketing bottle label demagnetizers, for $2000 each, and some
influential wine critic said that the wine in the demagnetized
bottle was smoother, richer, had a longer aftertaste, and
expressed the winemaker's true intent with more
clarity that one would think possible. And then someone started marketing
wine racks made from African blackwood (mpingo), and gosh darn it if
Michael Fremer's brother-in-law didn't see an immediate improvement in
the flavor and nose of his Sauternes, which improvement only
got more pronounced the closer they were to the center of the rack!

Would you

a) nod wisely and hope to save the scratch for the label demagntizer and
blackwood rack, or
b) laugh at these guys, and think they were deluding
themselves, and should do a double-blind taste test to back up the
claims?

And sighted wine tastings give results that show people who think a wine is
expensive experience it as tasting better, even if it's the SAME wine
from the SAME bottle that they had previously tasted as a cheap one:

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2008/...tes_better.php

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Scott wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:04 am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Scott wrote:
On Jul 8, 3:06?am, Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On Jul 7, 8:07?am, "Walker" wrote:
?new ones. You don't have to believe me and even if you can convince

me with medical devices that it's in my head it's an improved sound and
worth the money.
Bob Walker

Well then I expect soon we will read a newspaper story about how the
JREF foundation has given you a million dollars for proving that you
can hear such differences under blind conditions. ?Such a test should
be trivial for you to pass and surely you would not turn down an easy
million dollars?
That's an article that will never be written. JREF are basically
running a shell game with their so called challenge. Any real
demonstration of cables having different sound will ultimately be
disqualified since the cause of such a difference will be within the
laws of physics.

Audiophiles routinely claim audible difference among classes of
devices whose typical measured performance does not predict audible
difference -- CDPs and cables, for example. (assuming level-matching
for output devices, of course).

And yet we found audible differences between CDPs under blind
conditions.

WHO did, and under *what* conditions?

Which simply showed that not all the relevant things were
being measured. And yet this same psuedo-scientific misinformation
continues to be pawned off as true and supported by "science' to this
day.

I know of no case where a measurable reason for audible difference was not found.
Do you?

There is also of course the whole
realm of devices, treatments, and tweaks that have only the faintest
(or no) rational basis for having the claimed audible effect in the
first place, much less the substantial differences reported. In that
category we can put the Belt's tweaks, Shakti stones, Mpingo discs,
the Hallograph, the craziness at Machina Dynamica, LP demagnetizers,
cryogenic treatment of CDs, and the like.

So there are plenty of pairs of devices, including cables, or
treatmetns, that would fit the requirements -- if measured performance
does not predict an audible difference, yet the subject 'passed' the
challenge, then they would be eligible for the million, because there
would be no known physical cause.

OK then do tell us about the "measured" performance of all the tweaks
you just cited as paranormal. You are refering to measured
performance. So it must be fair to assume someone has actually done
some measurements.

Except, that's not always necessary, Scott. It's not like science
starts from a blank slate when confronted with every claim. Something
that has no rational basis for making a difference -- based on known
laws of physics and engineering -- requires evidence FROM THE PEOPLE MAKING THE
CLAIM that is actually works.

The challenge is for someone to show evidence of the paranormal.

Michael Fremer made much the same objection during the Pear/Tara
cables dustup.

Randi replied: "We define "paranormal" as describing an event or a
phenomenon that can actually be shown to occur, but has no explanation
within scientific reasoning.

So Fremer was right. Because it follows that any audible difference
between cables will have a scientific explination.

Now all Fremer has to do is show that the differences HE claims to hear
ARE due to those well-known scientific explanations. Because cables
typically shouldn't be different enough in the known parameters, to
have differences. Yet he hears them routinely.

Detecting differences between two varieties of excellent conductors of
low-voltage electrical signals . speaker leads . via a direct auditory
test, would fall within this usage.

There in lies the debate. But it seems that some simply debate by
declaring they are simply right. Why Randi decided to jump into this
is beyond me. It isn't a question of paranormal activity but a
question of whether or not the distortions of any cable are audible.
The dead moose in the room for everyone on the JREF side of this
debate is that it is quite easy to make cables sound different.

Regardless, we of course have the right to accept this claim as
paranormal in nature, and we hereby do accept it as such. We will even
create, for the purposes of this experimental protocol, a special
category of "golden ears," just for [Fremer]".

I suppose yoy have the right to misuse words for the sake of fueling
the flames between objectivists and subjectivists if that is what you
are into doing. But it doesn't change the *fact* that any audible
differences between cables will have a scientific explination and none
of this has anything to do with the paranormal.

Fremer still objected: "But there are scientific explanations for
sonic differences among cables, including (among others) inductance,
resistance and capacitance, all of which can have an effect on
frequency response. Effective shielding (or not) can and does affect
measurable noise spectra due to the intrusion (or not) or RFI/EMI.

The word "excellent" is meaningless IMO.

According to Webster it does have meaning. I think I'm taking Webster
over you. Not sure what relevance your unorthodox opinion about the
meaning or lack of about that word has on any of this though.

LOL. It's *Fremer* you're replying to there, not me, Scott. *He's* the
once who was quibbling about the word 'excellent'.

That is one side of it. But the fact still remains Randi never managed
to put any audiophile claims to the preliminary test.

The onus is on the claimants to submit to the preliminary process,
where the claimant works with JREF to come to a suitable protocol.

Dowsing, ESP and other reported phenomena also have scientific explanations
on tap (typically to do with psychological effects). So really, by your criteria,
nothing he's testing is really 'paranormal'.

He resolved
nothing with all his grandstanding. He kinda made a bit of an ass of
himself on the whole subject by painting people with an overly broad
brush. Then when faced with his numerous misrepresentations of the
facts he dismissed them as unimportant.

And Fremer made a typical ranting lunatic of himself in his replies.
Meanwhile, Stereophile decided Randi was a fraud because his real
name isn't Randi. Atkinson later clains that was all sarcasm.

Of course the convenient reality is that if one proves something to
be true it ceases to be "paranormal." I mean would quantum physics
have qualified for the JREF challenge before physicists figured it
out?

You're seriously equating the claims and effects that audiophiles
tout, with quantum effects whose existence was confirmed repeatedly by
multiple scientists doing careful experiments?

No, I was asking a question in regards to the rules of JREF challenge.
Certainly you realize that there was a time when many of the
implications of quantum mechanics had not been confirmed by any
experiemtnal evidence? Did you catch the part where I said "before
physicists figured it out?"

Before physicists 'figured it out' they had observed these puzzling
effects under laboratory conditions. Big difference.

But now I have to ask. With all this grandstanding what is stopping so
called skeptics from simply taking on these so called "voodoo" beliefs
in audio by actually testing the objects that are found to be so
objectionable?

What is stopping subjectivists -- the ones who actually beleive in this stuff --
from volunteering to win $1 million?

If objectivists want to debunk things....why not
actually do it? I would expect things like Belt tweeks to be easy
pickings. Personally I just don't care that much. If Peter Belt and
his followers are having fun I see no point it trying to stop that.

Gee, and what is the typical response from subjectivists when presented
with data gathered by objectivists?

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mr. Finsky[_2_] Mr. Finsky[_2_] is offline

This discussion about cables and double-blind testing is absurd
because the debaters have already made up their minds. The greatest
scientist in the world could not convince Arny that he was wrong
unless he had used Arny's preferred testing method. The most
"rational" objectivist could not convince Harry Pearson, Gordon Holt
or any subjectivist that they cannot hear the difference between
products. Has anyone ever been convinced by what they read in this
subject matter? Every explanation I have read that demonstrates why
double-blind testing does not work makes sense to me. Arny would
probably never bother to read past the first line. On the other hand,
Harry Pearson would probably never read an article "proving" that you
cannot hear the difference between cables or amps.

In the end, everyone is preaching to the converted but no one is
really convincing anyone to change.

As for me, I know that $30 cables do not sound the same as $400
cables, which do not sound like $5000 cables. Whether the difference
is worth the money is the better question. I believe that if you spend
about 2-5% of your budget on cables, you would be content with the
sound and not feel like you have been conned.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:07:22 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 9, 12:37*pm, Dick Pierce
wrote:
On Jul 9, 2:58*pm, "Walker" wrote:

It's similar to a top level wine from the same
vineyard and winery but a year apart.

And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
accepted in the high end audio realm?

Um, it certainly is used in *some* cases. I'm pretty confident that
the vast majority of wine tasting is not done with double blind
protocols.

Actually, that depends upon whether or not we're talking about formal or
informal wine tastings. No formal does not mean tie and tails, it means that
wines are being formally tested for rank, and yes, formal tasting is a wine
test, and is always double blind as are food tastings such as those done by
serious food magazines.

I think a more interesting question would be how do the
results of the double blind comparisons in wine tasting differ from
the sighted ones. i don't think that question has ever been carefully
studied. then my next question would be who buys wine by the bottle or
glass blind? As for the lack of acceptance for blind protocols in high
end audio, I use blind protocols in my auditions, does that mean I am
not participating in the high end?

The problem with sighted evaluations is that the label sets up expectations.
If I were to give you two glasses of Merlot to taste, and you saw me decant
one from a bottle marked Chateau St, Jean from Sonoma CA and the other was a
bottle of "Two-Buck-Chuck" from Trader Joe's, you would have expectations
that the much more expensive Chateau St Jean Merlot would be the better wine,
and so it would be. This has been proven over and over and over again.
Sighted biases spoil the test. In fact, tests have been conducted where the
exact same wine was poured into both a cheap labeled bottle and an expensive
labeled bottle and the wine from the expensive labeled bottle has won, every
time even though both were the same wine!

Any of
us, even wine connoisseurs unfamiliar with that
particular wine, will think that both wines are
identical and so will the guy writing for the food
magazine but those used to that wine will recognize
the difference immediately.

And are more than willing to submit themselves to
properly controlled blind testing.

I know a few wine connoisseurs, none of which have done any double
blind taste testing in building their wine collections. do you think
that is a problem?

No. They are choosing wines that they like, they are not usually trying to
choose wine based on which of a number of bottles is the best of that type.
Double-blind testing in wine is done to rate wines for awards or for
publications where ranking is important irrespective of cost or brand. Back
in the 1970's, for instance, the wine world was shocked to find that a famous
French wine institute had awarded their grand prize to a bottle of California
cabernet. Nobody was more shocked by this result than the tasting panel of
French wine connoisseurs who unanimously voted for the California wine. All
said that had they known the wine was not French, they probably wouldn't have
given it as high of a score as they did, thus validating the value of
double-blind wine tasting in such judgings.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:59:17 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 7, 8:07?am, "Walker" wrote:
[...]

It would but there isn't any just as the "scientific explanation" says there
won't be.

Detecting differences between two varieties of excellent conductors of
low-voltage electrical signals . speaker leads . via a direct auditory
test, would fall within this usage.

There in lies the debate. But it seems that some simply debate by
declaring they are simply right. Why Randi decided to jump into this
is beyond me. It isn't a question of paranormal activity but a
question of whether or not the distortions of any cable are audible.
The dead moose in the room for everyone on the JREF side of this
debate is that it is quite easy to make cables sound different.

Well, in a left-handed way, I think I understand. Since the laws of physics
dictate that there can be no differences between the "sound" imparted by two
different cables of the same length, then if such differences ARE found to
exist, then the reason why they sound different must lie outside of the
physical world, I.E. the reasons must be metaphysical; in other words
paranormal.

Regardless, we of course have the right to accept this claim as
paranormal in nature, and we hereby do accept it as such. We will even
create, for the purposes of this experimental protocol, a special
category of "golden ears," just for [Fremer]".

I suppose yoy have the right to misuse words for the sake of fueling
the flames between objectivists and subjectivists if that is what you
are into doing. But it doesn't change the *fact* that any audible
differences between cables will have a scientific explination and none
of this has anything to do with the paranormal.

But science tells us that there can be no differences at audio frequencies.

Fremer still objected: "But there are scientific explanations for
sonic differences among cables, including (among others) inductance,
resistance and capacitance, all of which can have an effect on
frequency response.

He's right except in one all-important regard: while differences in
inductance, resistance and capacitance do have an effect on frequency
response, the values of those inductors, capacitors, and resistors would have
to be orders of magnitude higher than it is possible to build a couple of
meters of coaxial cable to have or for a reasonable length of sufficiently
heavy speaker cable to have in order for these cables to have to cause any
audible affect on signals in the audio passband. Of course, some cable
manufacturers can add external capacitance, resistance, and inductance to
their cables to consciously alter the frequency rsponse characteristics of
their cables, but that's cheating, isn't it? The whole idea of high-end cable
marketing is that each brand of cables advertises that their product
compromises the signals LESS than do their competitors.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Seedhouse[_2_] Ed Seedhouse[_2_] is offline

On Jul 9, 8:06*pm, Scott wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:59 am, ScottW2 wrote:

Well then I expect soon we will read a newspaper story about how the
JREF foundation has given you a million dollars for proving that you
can hear such differences under blind conditions. *Such a test should
be trivial for you to pass and surely you would not turn down an easy
million dollars?

That's an article that will never be written. JREF are basically
running a shell game with their so called challenge. Any real
demonstration of cables having different sound will ultimately be
disqualified since the cause of such a difference will be within the
laws of physics.

As it should be as most exotic cable manufacturers make claims of
magical properties outside the laws of physics.

the question isn't claims by manufacturers.

It is to me and it quite obviously is to the JREF challenge.

If so then why are they bothering reviewers? Why not make the
challenge to the cable manufacturers. maybe because it is silly to
challenge advertsing copy which is abundant in hyperbole and vague
assertions that are pretty much unchallengable? I guess the real
question is why on earth would you concern yourself over ad copy in a
world where it is silly to take any advertisement at face value. Ads
are sales pitches not documentaries.

A little google searching comes up with http://www.randi.org/jr/2007-09/092807reply.html
which shows you what he actually said, and that he actually challenged
Pear Audio's claims directly. You'll need to scroll down the page to
the headline: MORE CABLE NONSENSE.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JWV Miller JWV Miller is offline

On Jul 9, 10:40*pm, "Mr. Finsky" wrote:
This discussion about cables and double-blind testing is absurd
because the debaters have already made up their minds. The greatest
scientist in the world could not convince Arny that he was wrong
unless he had used Arny's preferred testing method.

Certainly some of the debaters have made up their minds since they
claim to hear differences that can't be substantiated using unbiased
testing. One would be hard pressed to find competent scientists let
alone the world's greatest scientist (nominations please?) who would
have confidence that sighted tests of speaker cables can reliably
differentiate between small differences in sounds. Arny's methodology
tries to minimize biases and yet be as sensitive as possible to
detecting small sound differences. Please cite any instances where
Arny has indicated that only his testing methods will produce valid
results.

The most
"rational" objectivist could not convince Harry Pearson, Gordon Holt
or any subjectivist that they cannot hear the difference between
products.

So let them reliably identify the differences with blind testing and
then everyone will believe.

Has anyone ever been convinced by what they read in this
subject matter? Every explanation I have read that demonstrates why
double-blind testing does not work makes sense to me.

Really? How about blind testing doesn't work because the wind is
blowing from the northeast or blind testing doesn't work because
hearing can't take place without hearing. Its quite easy to come up
with hypotheses why blind testing doesn't work but demonstrating
convincingly that there is any validity in such notions is much
harder.

Arny would
probably never bother to read past the first line. On the other hand,
Harry Pearson would probably never read an article "proving" that you
cannot hear the difference between cables or amps.

Arny often reads past the first line to point out the absurdities
associated with sighted testing.

In the end, everyone is preaching to the converted but no one is
really convincing anyone to change.

Are you sure of that? It seems that the number of die-hard
subjectivists here has declined significantly over the past several
years. The subjectivists in this thread are greatly outnumbered by
those disputing magic cable claims.

As for me, I know that $30 cables do not sound the same as $400
cables, which do not sound like $5000 cables. Whether the difference
is worth the money is the better question. I believe that if you spend
about 2-5% of your budget on cables, you would be content with the
sound and not feel like you have been conned.

Everyone is free to believe what they wish. Unbiased testing has never
demonstrated that there is any advantage to using exotic expensive
cables over competent low-cost cables suitable for the application.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 11:54:53 -0700, Guenter Scholz wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Guenter Scholz" wrote in
message

.... snip the glib comments...

an inductor is a coil of wire.

An inductor is a coil of wire that has surprizingly little in common with a
cable. In fact, cables minimize their inductance by simply having two
conductors that are close to each other and have current flowing in them in
opposite directions.

.... well, I guess, it all depends on how the speaker cable is physically
arranged; ie, how the individual strands are arranged etc

At VHF and UHF frequencies, yes, performance MIGHT well be dependent upon how
"strands are arranged, etc" but at audio frequencies? No.

Heck, you can buy wire would
resistors that are non-inductive and they are not very
long....

????

FYI, a wire wound resistor is a small 1 cm or so cylinder with wire wound
on it and it is used to provide resistance.

Of course this wire is a high resistance wire like nichrome and not simple
copper. It is used to make wire-wound resistors simply because it has high
resistance and dissipates current as heat.

There won't be more than about
10 cm or so of wire. The inductance this coil of wire causes can be problem
some in certain applications... ie you don't need 10's of feet depending on
the application - in this case - the amp.

Wasn't Kimber cable braided flat so it could fit
into carpets...

Braided speaker cable was not an innovation of Kimber.

... fine, I'm getting old and don't remember the brand...

many parallel strands of wire make a good capacitor.

Simply not true. Most cables are formed of parallel strands of wire, and
few if any of them are very good capacitors.

Arnie, you'd be correct iff the wires were not individually insulated as is
the case of the above speaker wire.

He's correct anyway. Kirchoff's law and all that.

nevertheless, even the strands of wire
in your zip cord, not insulated as they are, will provide capacitance because
of an effect known as the skin effect ... the gist of which is that depending
on the frequency electrons do not travell uniformely in the wire

What, pray tell, does skin effect have to do with frequencies between DC and
20 KHz? Skin effect comes into play at frequencies above somewhere around 10
MHz, but below that, the effect is nil. In fact at microwave frequencies,
skin effect is the operative conductor model. So much so that at those
frequencies one can dispense with the core of the conductor altogether. Ever
heard of a wave guide?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr. Finsky" wrote in message

This discussion about cables and double-blind testing is
absurd because the debaters have already made up their
minds.

It appears that you have made up your mind, for better or worse.

The greatest scientist in the world could not
convince Arny that he was wrong unless he had used Arny's
preferred testing method.

That would be a proven false claim, given my support for the ABC/hr and a
number of other reliable testing procedures that I did not personally
develop, unlike ABX.

The most "rational" objectivist
could not convince Harry Pearson, Gordon Holt or any
subjectivist that they cannot hear the difference between
products.

There seems to be some indications that some of the leading subjectivist
reviewers may have private thoughts and doubts about their life's work.

Has anyone ever been convinced by what they
read in this subject matter?

Yes, tons of people. Even I had to be convinced to do the first ABX test.

Every explanation I have
read that demonstrates why double-blind testing does not
work makes sense to me.

The false claim here is that DBTs do work. What they fail to do are things
that are known by other reliable means to be impossible.

Arny would probably never bother
to read past the first line.

Easy to say, hard to prove.

On the other hand, Harry
Pearson would probably never read an article "proving"
that you cannot hear the difference between cables or amps.

Krueger has no doubt read far more Pearson, Atkinson, Fremer, even
Moncrieff, than vice-versa.

In the end, everyone is preaching to the converted but no
one is really convincing anyone to change.

There are actually a large number of people who have adopted the reliable
listening test way. You can find them here and on other forums.

As for me, I know that $30 cables do not sound the same
as $400 cables, which do not sound like $5000 cables.

Talk about someone with their mind made up!

Whether the difference is worth the money is the better
question.

Whether there is any signficant difference once the hype and bad science is
stripped way is the best question.

I believe that if you spend about 2-5% of your
budget on cables, you would be content with the sound and
not feel like you have been conned.

I know that there is generally no electronic or audible difference between
$3, $30, $300, and $5,000 cables. In every reasonable case, what comes out
is an excellent facsimile of what went in.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

Have any of you actually tried a set of these cables or are you simply
going
by what you've read or heard and accepted it as fact because it looks
good
on paper?

No, I have not actually tried a set of these expensive cables

Then you're not qualified to speak about them and anything that you say is
nothing but conjecture based on a common belief or doctrine of physical
reality. Reality is challenged and disproven every day and we call it
progress. That's why we have solar power, LCD TVs and cell phones and are
planning a manned trip to Mars. Otherwise we'd still be churning butter and
watching TV by candle light.

The cable thing has been challenged and may well be proven in a few years
with new instruments that are more sensitive or looking for something else
to measure. Until it relates to something important no one will care but to
the initiated it doesn't matter because we have it already and are enjoying
it.

I'll sum up by saying that I've done it and I've seen it and I know others
who have as well and unless you've tried and failed several times you can't
objectively say that I'm wrong and even then you won't convinve me otherwise
but I'll respect you for trying and honor your right to pontificate. You are
welcome to your beliefs but don't confuse doctrine with fact and I choose to
explore and will continue to do so.

Bye, it was nice.

Bob W

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 7, 8:07?am, "Walker" wrote:
[...]

Dennis Drake among others when listening to various test pressings of
his Mercury CDs, under double blind conditions if memory serves me
correctly.

Which simply showed that not all the relevant things were
being measured. And yet this same psuedo-scientific misinformation
continues to be pawned off as true and supported by "science' to this
day.

I know of no case where a measurable reason for audible difference was not found.
Do you?

You seem to have been claiming that standard meausurements predict
that all CDPs sound the same. I simply pointed out that "those"
measurements clearly did not tell the whole story and only served to
fuel urban legend under the guise of science about the sound of CDPs.

[...]

I'm pretty sure that if one wanted to do this "scientifically" one
would have to actually do some meaningful measurements to pass peer
review. You spoke about "measured" performance. Are you now saying
that we can speak about "measured performance" without the need of
actual measurements? That strikes me as rather unscientific not to
mention just plain wrong headed. Why are you refering to "measured
performance" when no such measurements have been made?

The challenge is for someone to show evidence of the paranormal.

Michael Fremer made much the same objection during the Pear/Tara
cables dustup.

Randi replied: "We define "paranormal" as describing an event or a
phenomenon that can actually be shown to occur, but has no explanation
within scientific reasoning.

So Fremer was right. Because it follows that any audible difference
between cables will have a scientific explination.

Now all Fremer has to do is show that the differences HE claims to hear
ARE due to those well-known scientific explanations. Because cables
typically shouldn't be different enough in the known parameters, to
have differences. Yet he hears them routinely.

Actually Fremer doesn't "have" to do anything. The challenge fell
apart and never made it to the preliminary stage of testing. Nothing
was proven or resolved.

[...]

I have no problem disagreeing with Fremer. But your reference to that
opinion lacked any context. you just floated it out there for no
apparent reason or attribution to it's author.

That is one side of it. But the fact still remains Randi never managed
to put any audiophile claims to the preliminary test.

The onus is on the claimants to submit to the preliminary process,
where the claimant works with JREF to come to a suitable protocol.

No the onus is on both parties and is pretty much acknowledged by JREF
in their webpage. they acknowledge that a failure to reach an
agreement on protocols and is not proof of anything about the claims
being considered for testing.

Dowsing, ESP and other reported phenomena also have scientific explanations
on tap (typically to do with psychological effects). So really, by your criteria,
nothing he's testing is really 'paranormal'.

It's not my criteria it is the criteria of the JREF. I have already
posted the relevant quotes from their webpage on the subject. If you
disagree with them then take it up with them.

He resolved
nothing with all his grandstanding. He kinda made a bit of an ass of
himself on the whole subject by painting people with an overly broad
brush. Then when faced with his numerous misrepresentations of the
facts he dismissed them as unimportant.

And Fremer made a typical ranting lunatic of himself in his replies.
Meanwhile, Stereophile decided Randi was a fraud because his real
name isn't Randi. Atkinson later clains that was all sarcasm.

Fremer often resorts to such behavior. it is not one of his qualities
as a personality in the business. But it has no bearing on the fact
that Randi was making numerous factual errors in this whole mess and
dismissed them as trivial when faced with them. Fremer's volitility
does not excuse Randi's behavior.

Of course the convenient reality is that if one proves something to
be true it ceases to be "paranormal." I mean would quantum physics
have qualified for the JREF challenge before physicists figured it
out?

You're seriously equating the claims and effects that audiophiles
tout, with quantum effects whose existence was confirmed repeatedly by
multiple scientists doing careful experiments?

No, I was asking a question in regards to the rules of JREF challenge.
Certainly you realize that there was a time when many of the
implications of quantum mechanics had not been confirmed by any
experiemtnal evidence? Did you catch the part where I said "before
physicists figured it out?"

Before physicists 'figured it out' they had observed these puzzling
effects under laboratory conditions. Big difference.

They had? I think not. I believe physicists had concluded they had
pretty much figured out everything there was to figure out with
Newtonian physics except for this one little problem with black body
radiation. I'm pretty sure they had not observed the many "puzzling
effects" of quantum physics at that point. If they had I don't think
they would have drawn such profoundly eroneous conclusions about the
state of physics.

But now I have to ask. With all this grandstanding what is stopping so
called skeptics from simply taking on these so called "voodoo" beliefs
in audio by actually testing the objects that are found to be so
objectionable?

What is stopping subjectivists -- the ones who actually beleive in this stuff --
from volunteering to win $1 million?

I have already explained that a few times. a shell game is a shell
game no matter how you dress it. But back to the point, why didn't you
answer my question? what is stopping so called skeptics from simply
taking on these so called "voodoo" beliefs in audio by actually
testing the objects that are found to be so objectionable?

If objectivists want to debunk things....why not
actually do it? I would expect things like Belt tweeks to be easy
pickings. Personally I just don't care that much. If Peter Belt and
his followers are having fun I see no point it trying to stop that.

Gee, and what is the typical response from subjectivists when presented
with data gathered by objectivists?

I'll tell you when the objectivist do a proper job of it. But I guess
you think all the posturing and name calling instead is....more
effective? more rational?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 9, 5:25*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
Scott wrote:

:
[...]

Neither. I have no interest in laughing at others simply because I see
the world differently. That is the first step on the road to
intolerance. IMO we have seen more than enough of that in this world.
heck, you could have cut to the chase and just asked me about the LP
demagnetizer given that I am an audiophile with a rather extensive LP
collection. I have neither saved up for one nor laughed at anyone for
enjoying theirs. Why is it about "laughing rights" for some? Why is it
so bothersome that people enjoy things that likely are nothing more
than a placebo.

And sighted wine tastings give results that show people who think a wine is
expensive experience it as tasting better, even if it's the SAME wine
from the SAME bottle that they had previously tasted as a cheap one:

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2008/...tes_better.php

So one can improve the percieved taste just by changing the price tag.
Sounds like a cool wine tweek. And one that is quite effective.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 19:40:48 -0700, Mr. Finsky wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Well, if they don't. then some cable manufacturers are purposely designing
their cables to be fixed "tone controls" because simple runs of coax or 16
gauge or larger stranded conductors used as speaker cable have no sound. They
merely conduct the signal applied to them. extremely long runs can cause a
build-up of impedance factors that can cause a slight roll-off above 10-15
KHz, but that's about all.

Whether the difference
is worth the money is the better question. I believe that if you spend
about 2-5% of your budget on cables, you would be content with the
sound and not feel like you have been conned.

If you spend any more than is necessary to do the job reliably expecting to
get some increase in performance by doing so, you have been conned.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce Dick Pierce is offline

On Jul 9, 10:40*pm, "Mr. Finsky" wrote:
This discussion about cables and double-blind
testing is absurd because the debaters have
already made up their minds.

.... snip ...

As for me, I know that $30 cables do not sound
the same as $400 cables, which do not sound
like $5000 cables.

Q.E.D.

Thank you for providing both a premise and proof
in one post.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Guenter Scholz" wrote in
message

.... snip the glib comments...

an inductor is a coil of wire.

An inductor is a coil of wire that has surprizingly
little in common with a cable. In fact, cables minimize
their inductance by simply having two conductors that
are close to each other and have current flowing in them
in opposite directions.

.... well, I guess, it all depends on how the speaker
cable is physically arranged; ie, how the individual
strands are arranged etc

Actually, strand arrangement does not make much difference. Even extreme
cases of that, where the strands are separately insulated, makes no
difference.

FYI, a wire wound resistor is a small 1 cm or so
cylinder with wire wound on it and it is used to provide
resistance.

FYI, wire wound resistors can be up to 50 cm long. Even low powered
wirewound resistors are generally far longer than 1 cm.

There won't be more than about 10 cm or so of wire.

Just completely wrong. Wire wound resistors can have dozens of meters of
wire in them.

The inductance this coil of wire causes can be
problem some in certain applications... ie you don't need
10's of feet depending on the application - in this case
- the amp.

OTOH, if you you wind a wire wound resistor like it was wound with speaker
cable, with parallel wires carrying current flowing in opposite directions,
you have what is known in the trade as a "non-inductive wirewound resistor".

Wasn't Kimber cable braided flat so it could fit
into carpets...

Braided speaker cable was not an innovation of Kimber.

... fine, I'm getting old and don't remember the brand...

many parallel strands of wire make a good capacitor.

Simply not true. Most cables are formed of parallel
strands of wire, and few if any of them are very good
capacitors.

Arnie, you'd be correct iff the wires were not
individually insulated as is the case of the above
speaker wire.

?????

Speaker wire is geneally composed of two individually insulated wires. But,
it still isn't a very good capacitor.

nevertheless, even the strands of wire in
your zip cord, not insulated as they are, will provide
capacitance because of an effect known as the skin effect

Bad science. Skin effect is not a capacitive (electrostatic) effect. It is
actually an electomagnetic effect. Skin effect is not due to insulation.

... the gist of which is that depending on the frequency
electrons do not travel uniformely in the wire

That much is true, but the reason why has nothing to do with insulation.
Skin effect has to do with the density of the magnetic field around the
wire. A tube has far less skin effect than a cylinder with equal
current-carrying capacity because the magnetic field created by the
conductor is more widely dispersed due to the larger diameter of the tube.

We certainly noticed doing ABX texting.

ABX texting? Are you talking about cell phones????

But most critical we found was level matching
across the audible frequency spectrum and that proved
next to impossible to do.

Sounds like a very pathological setup.

you'd be suprised how poorly matched channels can be on
older 'audiophile' tube stuff...

Not really, because I am an older "audiophile" and did extensive testing of
tubed gear back in the day.

No, its very easy to ear a few dBs over many octaves.
But how do you hook up normal audio components in a
normal audio system and obtain such incredibly large
differences that are simply due to reasonable speaker
cable, and nothing else?

.... like I said, you use some of the 'audiphile' cables,

Been there done that.

a longer run does help,

Have to stay relevant here.

and then use your ABX box to
switch between said and, say, zip cord to your hearts
content.

Been there, done that.

Suprising how difficult it is if your betting
some money (beer) on your opinion :-)

I'm not betting on my opinion, I'm betting on what I've done, what others
have done, and what the basic science behind it says.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"JWV Miller" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 10:40 pm, "Mr. Finsky" wrote:

snip

Really? How about blind testing doesn't work because the wind is
blowing from the northeast or blind testing doesn't work because
hearing can't take place without hearing. Its quite easy to come up
with hypotheses why blind testing doesn't work but demonstrating
convincingly that there is any validity in such notions is much
harder.

snip

It is interesting to note that my attempt to define how such validation of
ABX testing for evaluation of differences in musical reproduction might be
done, here on RAHE a few years ago, the attempt wasn't met by constructive
dialog but rather repeated attempts to ridicule and disparage (a) the idea
of the validation itself ("it wasn't needed...abx was 'settled science' ")
and (b) the specific suggestions of test techniques and sequences made by me
(themselves used extensively in the realm of food testing and psychological
experimentation). This dispite the fact that the validation techniques I
was proposing were to some degree incorporated within ABC/hr testing,
considered even by the double-blind enthusiasts as superior to abx for
evaluation of music.

I'm afraid I agree with Mr. Finsky, attempts at constructive dialog on this
subject go nowhere.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:
"JWV Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly Harry, and you were trying to co-opt test designs/validations
appropriate for *preference* testing into a *difference* detection test
(ABX). I and others attempted to explain the fallacy of that conflation
relative to validation. The methodology to validate a preference test
is not the same as that for a differentiation test, as *purpose* of the
test is different, thus the confounding variables that need controlled
are different. You refuse to accept this, and choose to consider such
criticism as "disparagement". That's your choice, of course, but it's
hardly a fair evaluation of the history of this subject.

I'm afraid I agree with Mr. Finsky, attempts at constructive dialog on this
subject go nowhere.

If you choose to interpret any disagreement with your preconceived
opinions as "not constructive", then I would agree with you.

Keith Hughes

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Scott wrote:

: I'm pretty sure that if one wanted to do this "scientifically" one
: would have to actually do some meaningful measurements to pass peer
: review. You spoke about "measured" performance. Are you now saying
: that we can speak about "measured performance" without the need of
: actual measurements? That strikes me as rather unscientific not to
: mention just plain wrong headed. Why are you refering to "measured
: performance" when no such measurements have been made?

There are well-established means of doing perception tests for
peer-reviewed science journals. Subjwcts can try to differentiate two
stimuli; judge them to be the same or different; rank them on a 5-point
scale of preference; etc.

ABX, plus a subject and stimulus sample size big enough
to do simple stats on, would pass peer review at
any good journal.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:16:42 -0700, Walker wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

Have any of you actually tried a set of these cables or are you simply
going
by what you've read or heard and accepted it as fact because it looks
good
on paper?

No, I have not actually tried a set of these expensive cables

Then you're not qualified to speak about them and anything that you say is
nothing but conjecture based on a common belief or doctrine of physical
reality. Reality is challenged and disproven every day and we call it
progress. That's why we have solar power, LCD TVs and cell phones and are
planning a manned trip to Mars. Otherwise we'd still be churning butter and
watching TV by candle light.

Hogwash, Three years in Lockheed Missile and Space Company's Cable Lab taught
me more about conductors than all the double-blind tests ever conducted.
There is no way for a simple speaker cable of adequate wire size or an
interconnect of the lengths generally used in people's stereo systems can
possibly have any affect on the sound of the signal passing through them.
It's simply not possible. If you want to believe in that kind of snake oil,
be my guest, but you are deluding yourself. No difference exists because no
difference CAN exist. That's been proved over the years by countless
double-blind evaluations.

The cable thing has been challenged and may well be proven in a few years
with new instruments that are more sensitive or looking for something else
to measure. Until it relates to something important no one will care but to
the initiated it doesn't matter because we have it already and are enjoying
it.

Not likely. There is nothing in wire left to measure that isn't already
measurable. Let me repeat: No one has EVER been able to tell the difference
between expensive cables and cheap (but properly functioning) cables in any
double-blind test ever conducted. Wire is wire at audio frequencies

I'll sum up by saying that I've done it and I've seen it and I know others
who have as well and unless you've tried and failed several times you can't
objectively say that I'm wrong and even then you won't convinve me otherwise
but I'll respect you for trying and honor your right to pontificate. You are
welcome to your beliefs but don't confuse doctrine with fact and I choose to
explore and will continue to do so.

They aren't "beliefs" they are simple laws of physics Just as you can't flap
your arms and fly like a bird for very good physical reasons, cable can have
no "sound" for other very good physical reasons.

Bye, it was nice.

Bob W

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"JWV Miller" wrote in message
[...]

")
[...]

I pointed out to you several times that in fact tests of statistical
"difference" are routinely applied to the scalars in using such tests. Thus
the base tests for validation were large samples with proven statistical
differences in total and across attributes, across a chosen and agreed upon
population of audiophiles. All the ABX test had to do was to show a similar
set of overall differences among a fairly large sameple of people, using 17
point samples, to validate. That seemed too threatening, I guess.

In other words the base test did measure "preference", but the preference of
large groups of people of equipment reproducing music, with a proven
statistical "difference" of this preference as a starting point. What other
standard would you use to illustrate that there was a real subjective
statistical difference (in preference of musical reproduction)? Moreover,
the subjects do not even know that equipment is the variable being tested
since they are monadically evaluating a musical sample.

I'm afraid I agree with Mr. Finsky, attempts at constructive dialog on
this
subject go nowhere.

If you choose to interpret any disagreement with your preconceived
opinions as "not constructive", then I would agree with you.

I beg to differ. You raised the point...I refuted it...and you and others
simple insisted as you do here that you were right and ignoring the fact
that I was talking about a demonstrably statistically significant preference
as the starting point.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 10, 8:17*am, ScottW2 wrote:
On Jul 9, 1:06*pm, Scott wrote:

*maybe because it is silly to
challenge advertsing copy which is abundant in hyperbole and vague
assertions that are pretty much unchallengable?

Didn't the UK just tell a cable manufacturer to stop the false ads?

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/123...on-bs-audio-ca...

I read something about it. but I am much more familiar with the state
of advertising here in the U.S.
Enough so that i don't ever confuse advertising copy with impatial
objective information.

I guess the real
question is why on earth would you concern yourself over ad copy in a
world where it is silly to take any advertisement at face value.

*Some people hope for a better world.
*With so much information flowing around in media, a requirement
for truth in advertising isn't a bad thing IMO.

A better world? seriously aren't there more significant ways to better
the world than policing ad copy in the high end of audio?

are sales pitches not documentaries.

*I don't know anyone who likes to get ripped off.
*Do you?

Indeed I don't. But I have only run across one person so far that
actually felt ripped off after buying a cable. Have you bought
expesive cables only to feel ripped off afterwards?

I'm not going to take you to task for any of your personal subjective
opinions. But I hope you understand that such opinions are just that,
personal and subjective as opposed to universal and objective.

*I prefer to consider them informed opinions.

And this sets you apart from every other audiophile how? They are
still personal and subjective. And I still support you in having those
opinions. After all it is what sounds good to you that matters in your
persuit of excellent sound.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:22:13 -0700, ScottW2 wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 9, 1:06*pm, Scott wrote:

*maybe because it is silly to
challenge advertsing copy which is abundant in hyperbole and vague
assertions that are pretty much unchallengable?

Didn't the UK just tell a cable manufacturer to stop the false ads?

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/123...on-bs-audio-ca...

I read something about it. but I am much more familiar with the state
of advertising here in the U.S.
Enough so that i don't ever confuse advertising copy with impatial
objective information.

As you must. Too bad an honest manufacturer cannot be believed
because of the nonsense of others.
It's also too bad that manufacturer won't get any interest from
dealers
when trying to get his product represented in the audio shops.

I guess the real
question is why on earth would you concern yourself over ad copy in a
world where it is silly to take any advertisement at face value.

*Some people hope for a better world.
*With so much information flowing around in media, a requirement
for truth in advertising isn't a bad thing IMO.

A better world? seriously aren't there more significant ways to better
the world than policing ad copy in the high end of audio?

Is that a reasonable justification...that there is always a more
heinous crime to condemn?
I've managed to enjoy this hobby without dealing with Pol Pot,
but I haven't been able to avoid bs cable sales.
Call me selfish.

are sales pitches not documentaries.

*I don't know anyone who likes to get ripped off.
*Do you?

Indeed I don't. But I have only run across one person so far that
actually felt ripped off after buying a cable. Have you bought
expesive cables only to feel ripped off afterwards?

No, I either buy on the cheap or build my own. But the sales pitches
once only pushed at over priced salans have moved mainstream into
Radio Shack and Best Buy pushing overpriced monster crap.
That over priced garbage is even showing up on home depot shelves and
displacing other reasonably priced interconnects off the shelves
which is getting very annoying. The crap is as pernicious as caulpera
taxifolia.

I believe that one has to pay a certain amount above the price of Radio Shack
crappola to get interconnect cables that are quasi-balanced and decently
made, but this level of quality addresses reliability and a low noise floor,
not sonics. I.E. I'm perfectly all right with buying Monster Cable's lowest
price quasi-balanced cable (about $30 give or take a few bucks for 1 or 2
meter lengths.) It's well made, reliable and worth the price for the peace of
mind.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 9, 1:06*pm, Scott wrote:

*maybe because it is silly to
challenge advertsing copy which is abundant in hyperbole and vague
assertions that are pretty much unchallengable?

Didn't the UK just tell a cable manufacturer to stop the false ads?

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/123...on-bs-audio-ca...

I read something about it. but I am much more familiar with the state
of advertising here in the U.S.
Enough so that i don't ever confuse advertising copy with impatial
objective information.

*As you must. Too bad an honest manufacturer cannot be believed
because of the nonsense of others.
*It's also too bad that manufacturer won't get any interest from
dealers
when trying to get his product represented in the audio shops.

Huh? Who in particular has had this problem?

I guess the real
question is why on earth would you concern yourself over ad copy in a
world where it is silly to take any advertisement at face value.

*Some people hope for a better world.
*With so much information flowing around in media, a requirement
for truth in advertising isn't a bad thing IMO.

A better world? seriously aren't there more significant ways to better
the world than policing ad copy in the high end of audio?

*Is that a reasonable justification...that there is always a more
heinous crime to condemn?

Yes, extremely reasonable IMO.

I've managed to enjoy this hobby without dealing with Pol Pot,
but I haven't been able to avoid bs cable sales.
Call me selfish.

you haven't? So you have bought expensive cables and felt ripped off?
If that was the case you should have gone with a vendor that offered a
free home trial. there are many that do so.

are sales pitches not documentaries.

*I don't know anyone who likes to get ripped off.
*Do you?

Indeed I don't. But I have only run across one person so far that
actually felt ripped off after buying a cable. Have you bought
expesive cables only to feel ripped off afterwards?

*No, I either buy on the cheap or build my own.

Then how is it you are not avoiding cable sales as you claimed above?
you kind of lost me there. It would seem that you have avoided the
very trappings you seem very concerned about. I don't see where you
have a problem.

*But the sales pitches
once only pushed at over priced salans have moved mainstream into
Radio Shack and Best Buy pushing overpriced monster crap.
That over priced garbage is even showing up on home depot shelves and
displacing other reasonably priced interconnects off the shelves
which is getting very annoying. *The crap is as pernicious as caulpera
taxifolia.

Oh c'mon. I have been to Home Depot. They still sell the same stuff
they always sold. If that is what you want. I would think that even
folks who are convinced that all cables sound the same would at least
buy something along the lines of Blue Jean cables simply because they
are well made.

I'm not going to take you to task for any of your personal subjective
opinions. But I hope you understand that such opinions are just that,
personal and subjective as opposed to universal and objective.

*I prefer to consider them informed opinions.

And this sets you apart from every other audiophile how?

Is every other audiophile alike?

In the belief that their opinions are informed? I have never met one
that thought otherwise. If you have please point em out.

Just in this thread alone we've had
numerous false
claims debunked. * If I've said something false, I'm open to a
rational explanation of what and why.

I wish I could put you in touch with Andy Payor. I think he would have
a few things to say about your assertions on the sound of TT platters.
But I don't know how to get a hold of him. Many audiophiles do many
home brewed auditions/tests/comparisons all with various indeterminal
levels of rigor and out of that we find a multitude of opinions many
of which directly contradict other opinions. I don't doubt your
sincerity or integrity. but I do respectfully doubt a few of your
opinions.

They are
still personal and subjective.

*Not really. *They are based on simple and long proven fundamentals of
electronics and mechanics. *It is the uninformed that must declare all
things subjective as they have no other recourse.

Again I have my suspicions that Andy Payor had you beat on that and he
clearly drew very different conclusions than you did on a number of
specific things when it comes to TT design and sound. Unfortunately
the last time I saw his data was in Hong Kong 8 years ago. I wish I
had copies.

*And I still support you in having those
opinions.

*Some of my statements are speculation in the absense of sufficient
detail to declare as "applicable" fact to situation described. *But in
general the reasons I give are based in simple fundamental physics and
indisputable.

After all it is what sounds good to you that matters in your
persuit of excellent sound.

*In the pursuit of excellent sound, I think why is as important as
what.
What gives a single data point. *Why can provide you a compass and
direction.
Without why you are left with trial and error your only tool in a
world of inifinite options.
Knowing why can also reap great rewards in maximizing price/
performance ratio.

I don't have a problem with trial and error.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message

snip

Exactly Harry, and you were trying to co-opt test designs/validations
appropriate for *preference* testing into a *difference* detection test
(ABX). I and others attempted to explain the fallacy of that conflation
relative to validation. The methodology to validate a preference test
is not the same as that for a differentiation test, as *purpose* of the
test is different, thus the confounding variables that need controlled
are different. You refuse to accept this, and choose to consider such
criticism as "disparagement". That's your choice, of course, but it's
hardly a fair evaluation of the history of this subject.

I pointed out to you several times that in fact tests of statistical
"difference" are routinely applied to the scalars in using such tests.

For "preference" yes. Showing that the results of group A are or are
not statistically different is not at all the same as a *difference*
(i.e. a/b with other variables - such as participants - held constant)
test with sufficient replicates to evaluate the response statistically.

Thus
the base tests for validation were large samples with proven statistical
differences in total and across attributes, across a chosen and agreed upon
population of audiophiles. All the ABX test had to do was to show a similar
set of overall differences among a fairly large sameple of people, using 17
point samples, to validate. That seemed too threatening, I guess.

Threatening, no. Uninformative, certainly. You want to use *as a
reference* a test that a) has not been validated for difference
distinction and b) that focuses on another parameter altogether, i.e.
preference, and c) presents numerous confounding variables (
"...across attributes..." as you stated above).

In other words the base test did measure "preference", but the preference of
large groups of people of equipment reproducing music, with a proven
statistical "difference" of this preference as a starting point. What other
standard would you use to illustrate that there was a real subjective
statistical difference (in preference of musical reproduction)?

One that looks for difference Harry, not one that looks at "preference",
however that may be defined for any given individual. That is the
problem with your approach. When preference can be affected by a whole
assortment of parameters, parameters that vary from individual to
individual, from day to day for any particular individual, the results
cannot then be correlated to any particular stimulus. You can say that
there was a statistically significant preference for A, for example, but
you cannot unambiguously associate that preference with the *difference*
between A and B, only with the fact that the "A" population, at the time
of testing, were more inclined to rate music from "A" higher than were
the population that ranked music from "B". You have, in essence,
performed a "music appreciation" test between two populations, where the
changing of equipment is actually a *confounding* variable in evaluating
the results. If you had each participant rate both A and B, then you
must, perforce, introduce a significant time delay that introduces all
the other physical/emotional variations that can affect enjoyment, and
thus scaling, OR you have to use a quicker switching methodology that
then brings all of your purported flaws of ABX with it. And throws in a
variable scaling method to further reduce precision.

Moreover,
the subjects do not even know that equipment is the variable being tested
since they are monadically evaluating a musical sample.

Ergo, they cannot have training in detection of relevant differences
either. They will, of course, also be subject to all the other "faults"
leveled at ABX (ad nauseum) relative to focus, and attention, etc.

I'm afraid I agree with Mr. Finsky, attempts at constructive dialog on
this
subject go nowhere.

If you choose to interpret any disagreement with your preconceived
opinions as "not constructive", then I would agree with you.

I beg to differ. You raised the point...I refuted it...and you and others
simple insisted as you do here that you were right and ignoring the fact
that I was talking about a demonstrably statistically significant preference
as the starting point.

I beg to differ as well. You provided a refutation, the efficacy of
which has not been demonstrated.

OK Harry, here's a very possible scenario for you:

Case A: Two different systems, A and B (and what the differences are is
not important to the point) are tested using an ABX methodology. 20
people are tested, 20 trials each, and at p=0.01 the results for
difference were significant. Systems A and B are measured electrically
and acoustically, and are shown to be clearly and significantly
different in response.

Posit: The differences in A and B, while measurable and detectable by
trained listeners, *on average* does not affect the musical enjoyment
either system provides.

Case B: The same systems A and B are tested monadically for preference.
100 people are tested for each system. The results show that at p=0.01
or 0.05, the scalar means are not statistically different, nor are the
variances.

*Your* conclusion: ABX has been shown to be inaccurate, and is thus
discarded. No other conclusion is possible if the monadic preference
test is accepted as a suitable standard.

The *correct* conclusion: ABX has been shown to provide detectability
for a measurable acoustic difference below the threshold at which that
difference affects 'musical appreciation' however defined by the scalar
descriptions used in your monadic test. Thus the monadic test for
preference is shown, in this instance, to be an inappropriate reference.

For your proposed test to be of *any* utility as a comparison standard
for ABX, it would have to demonstrate detectability for the range of
parameters for which ABX is used. You haven't done that, and IMO, it
cannot be done, for the reasons provided in the case presented above.

Please examine the case study and feel free to provide any rationale for
why that situation cannot or would not arise, and if it does arise, how
that does not invalidate your monadic preference test as a reference to
validate ABX. You will keep in mind, I hope, that any reference
standard must be shown appropriate across the range of probes to be
validated.

Keith Hughes
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:45:29 -0700, ScottW2 wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 9, 1:06*pm, Scott wrote:

[...]

That very much depends on what RS crapola. They used to offer a
decent moderately priced interconnect. Not the bottom of line unplated
contact stuff.
A decent gold plated connector. Last time I went to a store (over a
year ago)
I checked on line to confirm stock. When I got to the store they only
had their
overpriced RS gold line (which as far as I can tell is just
repackaging what I want
and marking it up), Monster cable and some extremely cheap crap. When
I asked for the cable I wanted, I found it was only in the stock room
and only customers who actually asked for it could get it. Now they
don't even stock having priced up the RS to monster levels.

to get interconnect cables that are quasi-balanced

Not sure what you mean by "quasi-balanced". All my interfaces are
se.

Quasi-balanced - Most premium interconnects are made this way. In a quasi
balanced coaxial interconnects, there are three conductors: The shield, and
two wires inside the shield. One of the wires is "hot", the other is "return"
and then there's the shield. The "hot" conductor is affixed to both RCA
connector tips, the return is affixed to both RCA connector barrels
(completing the circuit) and the shield is connected to the barrel on only
one end. It covers the whole cable from end to end but since it is connected
at only one end, it carries NO SIGNAL and is a shield only. Cheap
interconnects are only half shielded because the shield is also the return.
One can easily tell a Quasi-balanced interconnect because there is always
arrows on either the connectors, printed at intervals on the cable itself, or
on labels affixed to the cable. The arrows point AWAY from the end that has
the shield connected to the barrel of the RCA plug. Proper proceedure is to
use the pre-amp or the integrated amp/receiver as the common ground plane so
that all arrows on all cables point away from that component. Most people
wrongly interpret the arrow to mean signal direction and usually arrange
these cables with the arrow pointing in the direction of signal flow. I.E.
FROM the tuner or CD player TO the preamp, FROM the pre-amp TO the power amp,
etc. This is wrong the arrows should point away from the pre-amp/
integrated/receiver toward everything else. So there is one common reference
point for all of the shields. THis arrangement is best for the lowest noise
and prevents ground-loops. I also ground my preamp to a cold water pipe, but
this is optional, especially if your listening room has three prong mains
plugs where one is grounded.

and decently
made, but this level of quality addresses reliability and a low noise floor,
not sonics. I.E. I'm perfectly all right with buying Monster Cable's lowest
price quasi-balanced cable (about $30 give or take a few bucks for 1 or 2
meter lengths.)

My biggest complaint with monster is that tornado RCA connector which
doesn't
meet industry stds and is so tight they have to be practically screwed
on.
They damage receptacles and put unnecessary strain on the entire assy
to remove.

It's well made, reliable and worth the price for the peace of
mind.

Every time I had to remove that monster connector, it was war .

For anything more than the RCA home depot (now only available in 6ft
or more on my last visit as more and more shelf space is gobbled up by
monster), I prefer blue jean cables.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

They tell you exactly what cable they use so if you want to know
shield effectivity or capacitance/ft....you can.

Except that they're only HALF shielded. The center conductor is shielded but
the shield is also the "return" half of the circuit (so it appears from their
description) and carries a signal so the shield is not "shielded". If you're
happy with them, fine, but I wouldn't use them in my system for that reason.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message

snip

[...]

How can you say that? I was proposing two monadic samples of 300 people
each. Much more statistical;u reliable than seventeen sample individual
tests. In fact the JAES has published peer-reviewed articles that show that
at seventeen samples, even the statistical sampling guidelines commonly used
are in error...slightly in favor of a "null" result.

Thus the base tests for validation were large samples with proven
statistical differences in total and across attributes, across a chosen
and agreed upon population of audiophiles. All the ABX test had to do
was to show a similar set of overall differences among a fairly large
sameple of people, using 17 point samples, to validate. That seemed too
threatening, I guess.

Threatening, no. Uninformative, certainly. You want to use *as a
reference* a test that a) has not been validated for difference
distinction and b) that focuses on another parameter altogether, i.e.
preference, and c) presents numerous confounding variables ( "...across
attributes..." as you stated above).

This is a test technique used widely and statistical significance is just
that....significant. Your charges are pure fantasy. You can't have
statistically significant difference in preference without there being a
difference.

[...]

Looke Keith. People are listening to MUSIC. THEY are asked to rate the
experience. THEY are asked to RATE the reproduced music on a "liking" scale
(that's how they express their "preference".) They are also asked to rate
specific musical attributes (the sound of the violins, for example, or the
sound of the tympani, or the sound of the guitars, etc.)

When you have two large samples, exposed to the same music, and with only
one variable changed (lets say the CD player use) if you get statistically
significant differences in the ratings you KNOW that it is the variable
creating it. The ratings are very similar to those use in ABC/hr, and is
one of the reason it is prefered to ABC...it measures quality differences,
not just differences.

There IS *no direct preference* expressed in monadic testing....the only way
a preference shows up is because of statistical sampling of two large bases
or respondents. That is WHY I proposed this very expensive and cumbersome
test as the "touchstone" demonstrating that a real difference in preference
exists. Isn't that after all what we as audiophiles hope to achieve in our
own testing? And as an added benefit, it is able to give an indication of
in what area of musical reproduction that rating preference exists.

Just like two years ago, you just keep raising the same old cannards and in
the process show you really don't stop to understand the technique I am
expousing. If you doubt it, consult a real experiemental psychologist or
statistician.

Moreover, the subjects do not even know that equipment is the variable
being tested since they are monadically evaluating a musical sample.

Ergo, they cannot have training in detection of relevant differences
either. They will, of course, also be subject to all the other "faults"
leveled at ABX (ad nauseum) relative to focus, and attention, etc.

Absolutely not, since they are not doing comparisons nor quick switching.
They are simply listening to one set of music, taking notes as they see fit,
and at the end rating the experience overall and on certain attributes.
Their are NONE of the problems of ABX.

I'm afraid I agree with Mr. Finsky, attempts at constructive dialog on
this
subject go nowhere.
If you choose to interpret any disagreement with your preconceived
opinions as "not constructive", then I would agree with you.

I beg to differ. You raised the point...I refuted it...and you and
others simple insisted as you do here that you were right and ignoring
the fact that I was talking about a demonstrably statistically
significant preference as the starting point.

I beg to differ as well. You provided a refutation, the efficacy of which
has not been demonstrated.

Except every day in many fields. I am not talking about a technique
restricted to audio. It is a general technique used to objective subjective
judgements in general.

[...]

First, 100 is too small a sample. I posited 300, which is generally
accepted as large enough to show small rating differences if they exist due
to the variable under test.
Second, the test in both tests is for positive difference. There is no
sense in a statistical "no difference". The applied statistics are
different, but the concept is the same.

The worst that can happen is that there is "no difference" (signicant at the
95% level) in overall rating, but there are differences in attribute ratings
(again at the 95%+ level). However these are still valuable, and show that
their *are* perceived differences in sound atributes even if their is no
difference in overall ratings. So in this case, you conclude that their are
audible differences.

If both the overall rating and the individual attribute ratings show no
difference at the 95% level, then you can conclude that in all liklihood
their is no difference due to the variable under test.

The point of this is to find a variable that does show up as a difference in
monadic preference amongst a large group of audiophiles (or perhaps
sub-seqment of same) in a test that is equally double-blind and which is
evaluative and ratings based, relaxed, music-focused, and which doesn't
require a forced choice.

Then to subject the same variable to the standard abx tests for difference
and find out how well that test fares in spotting those same
differences....how many people succeed, how many fail, how obvious does the
difference seem to show up. Only if ABX failed to detect the differences in
any appreciable way would ABX be judged a failure. That's why I call it a
validation test. If ABX is doing its job and is as good at evaluating
musical reproduction differences as it is in spotting distortion artifacts
among trained listeners, then this test should be a piece of cake for
ABX.....especially as you keep insisting that the monadic test is less
sensitive than ABX.

However, insisting that such a test not be done because it is not needed
("proved science") or somehow inappropriate is simply begging the question.

I propose that we see. That's a validation test.

[...]

I have done just that above.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Mr. Finsky wrote:
unless he had used Arny's preferred testing method. The most
"rational" objectivist could not convince Harry Pearson, Gordon Holt
or any subjectivist that they cannot hear the difference between
products.

Wanna bet?

Here's Gordon Holt, interviewed in 2007 for Stereophile's 25th anniversary
issue

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1107awsi/

"Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real
world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s,
when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls
(double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other
serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of
endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual
embarrassment for me..."

As for me, I know that $30 cables do not sound the same as $400
cables, which do not sound like $5000 cables.

No, you don't *know* that. You *believe* that.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Jul 7, 8:07?am, "Walker" wrote:
[...]

That's not a very detailed description. I assume you would want the test
to meet the strict criteria *you* keep saying tests to date
usually haven't met.

I know of no case where a measurable reason for audible difference was not found.
Do you?

You seem to have been claiming that standard meausurements predict
that all CDPs sound the same.

Nope. Straw man. And you should know better.

Before physicists 'figured it out' they had observed these puzzling
effects under laboratory conditions. Big difference.

They had? I think not. I believe physicists had concluded they had
pretty much figured out everything there was to figure out with
Newtonian physics except for this one little problem with black body
radiation. I'm pretty sure they had not observed the many "puzzling
effects" of quantum physics at that point. If they had I don't think
they would have drawn such profoundly eroneous conclusions about the
state of physics.

You might want to look up 'photoelectric effect', for example, before
you attempt such arguments, much less claim that 'physicists',
wholesale, had 'concluded they they had pretty much figured out everything
there was to figure out with Newtonian physics'.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 9, 1:06*pm, Scott wrote:

*As you must. Too bad an honest manufacturer cannot be believed
because of the nonsense of others.
*It's also too bad that manufacturer won't get any interest from
dealers
when trying to get his product represented in the audio shops.

Huh? Who in particular has had this problem?

*Who hasn't? *I don't see any low cost cables being offered in
salons.

I don't see ipods there either and yet millions of people have managed
to get them. again I don't see the problem. Would you actually be in
favor of dictating what private business owners offer for sale? I'm a
free enterprise kind of guy. I'd rather let the "salon" owners pick
their products and I'll pick my places to shop. I really don't see any
cheap cable crisis.

I've managed to enjoy this hobby without dealing with Pol Pot,
but I haven't been able to avoid bs cable sales.
Call me selfish.

you haven't? So you have bought expensive cables and felt ripped off?

*No, I've tried to politely endure sales droids on a mission
but worse, I see declining retail availability everywhere.

Seriously? You seriously see a cheap cable crisis?

*But the sales pitches
once only pushed at over priced salans have moved mainstream into
Radio Shack and Best Buy pushing overpriced monster crap.
That over priced garbage is even showing up on home depot shelves and
displacing other reasonably priced interconnects off the shelves
which is getting very annoying. *The crap is as pernicious as caulpera
taxifolia.

Oh c'mon. I have been to Home Depot. They still sell the same stuff
they always sold. If that is what you want.

*No, they don't. *They used to sell a 3 ft. cable. Last time I was
there
Monster was occupying that space.

Is every other audiophile alike?

In the belief that their opinions are informed?

No, with opinions that are actually informed.

Would you consider your beliefs on TT design better informed than Andy
Payor's? You are simply trying to set yourself apart by declaring your
beliefs are facts while other peoples' beliefs are just beliefs. Can't
go there with you. But alas, many many audiophiles do seem to share
your self confidence.

Just in this thread alone we've had
numerous false
claims debunked. * If I've said something false, I'm open to a
rational explanation of what and why.

I wish I could put you in touch with Andy Payor. I think he would have
a few things to say about your assertions on the sound of TT platters.
But I don't know how to get a hold of him. Many audiophiles do many
home brewed auditions/tests/comparisons all with various indeterminal
levels of rigor and out of that we find a multitude of opinions many
of which directly contradict other opinions. I don't doubt your
sincerity or integrity. but I do respectfully doubt a few of your
opinions.

*Likewise. *My methodology in this case was simple. Take a bad case
platter which rings like a bell and listen to the record strongly
coupled to the
platter and then decoupled from the platter. *If platter resonance was
an
audible factor, it should have been easy in such a case to hear a
difference.
I didn't.

But you can't draw any universal conclusions on one particular test
that lacked any number of controls including a same sound bias that
may have been present. Certainly you can see the difference between
your home brewed comparison and the sort of data that one would use to
draw universal conclusions. You have set one listener up as a
reference, yourself. You failed to provide important bias controls.
You did nothing to calibrate the sensitivity of the test. what of the
number of trials? maybe you had a bad day? I actually saw the write
ups on a good deal of the work Any Payor did on developing the
Rockport Sirius III. I have to give him a huge edge on rigor.

*Not really. *They are based on simple and long proven fundamentals of
electronics and mechanics. *It is the uninformed that must declare all
things subjective as they have no other recourse.

Again I have my suspicions that Andy Payor had you beat on that and he
clearly drew very different conclusions than you did on a number of
specific things when it comes to TT design and sound. Unfortunately
the last time I saw his data was in Hong Kong 8 years ago. I wish I
had copies.

* So do I.

I'm going to check with the folks at Continuum. They seem to have done
research that may have actually been more extensive than Andy Payor's.
The problem with this sort of stuff is that not everyone wants to
share their research. I can understand why. I will also check with the
folks at SME.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Andrew Barss wrote:
Scott wrote:
:
: And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
: is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
: accepted in the high end audio realm?

It is, unfortunately, not de rigeur in wine tastings.
It seems more common that in audio, but, for example,
Robert Parker, the most powerful man in the wine world,
refuses to do blind tastings, apparently:

http://www.slate.com/?id=2067055

The bigger the name as a 'connoisseur', the more they have to lose
in a controlled situation.

It's analogous to the sitch in the audio industry too.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

Have any of you actually tried a set of these cables or are you simply
going
by what you've read or heard and accepted it as fact because it looks
good
on paper?

No, I have not actually tried a set of these expensive cables

Then you're not qualified to speak about them and anything that you say is
nothing but conjecture based on a common belief or doctrine of physical
reality. Reality is challenged and disproven every day and we call it
progress. That's why we have solar power, LCD TVs and cell phones and are
planning a manned trip to Mars. Otherwise we'd still be churning butter and
watching TV by candle light.

Did we ever 'watch TV by candlelight'?

The 'common belief or doctrine of physical reality' is what lets you
predict, with pretty good accuracy, that your TV and cell phone
will work tomorrow. Indeed, that 'science' itself will continue
to work .The laws of physics aren't likely to change
wholesale overnight.

Which is what some of the loopier audio tweaks would actually
require. Would you say we should hold off considering them unlikely
to have real effects, just because some audiophiles claim to they do?

I'll sum up by saying that I've done it and I've seen it and I know others
who have as well and unless you've tried and failed several times you can't
objectively say that I'm wrong and even then you won't convinve me otherwise
but I'll respect you for trying and honor your right to pontificate. You are
welcome to your beliefs but don't confuse doctrine with fact and I choose to
explore and will continue to do so.

Your highly uncontrolled 'observations' do not necessarily generate
the 'facts' you believe them to.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Scott wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:04 am, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Audiophiles routinely claim audible difference among classes of
devices whose typical measured performance does not predict audible
difference -- CDPs and cables, for example. (assuming level-matching
for output devices, of course).
And yet we found audible differences between CDPs under blind
conditions.

WHO did, and under *what* conditions?

Dennis Drake among others when listening to various test pressings of
his Mercury CDs, under double blind conditions if memory serves me
correctly.

That's not a very detailed description.

You didn't ask for a detailed desciption. You asked who did it and
under what conditions. I answered your question.

*I assume you would want the test
to meet the strict criteria *you* keep saying tests to date
usually haven't met.

I asked Dennis himself about these tests. He said they were level
matched time synched double blind. What more do you want?

I know of no case where a measurable reason for audible difference was not found.
Do you?

You seem to have been claiming that standard meausurements predict
that all CDPs sound the same.

Nope. Straw man. *And you should know better.

here are your words from this thread. "Audiophiles routinely claim
audible difference among classes of devices whose typical measured
performance does not predict audible difference -- CDPs and cables,
for example. (assuming level-matching for output devices, of course)."
You might want to check thse things before crying strawman. (note for
moderator: I am leaving all quotes in tact for sake of showing that
these were Steve's words in context)

Before physicists 'figured it out' they had observed these puzzling
effects under laboratory conditions. Big difference.

They had? I think not. I believe physicists had concluded they had
pretty much figured out everything there was to figure out with
Newtonian physics except for this one little problem with black body
radiation. I'm pretty sure they had not observed the many "puzzling
effects" of quantum physics at that point. If they had I don't think
they would have drawn such profoundly eroneous conclusions about the
state of physics.

You might want to look up 'photoelectric effect', for example, before
you attempt such arguments, much less claim that 'physicists',
wholesale, had 'concluded they they had pretty much figured out everything
there was to figure out with Newtonian physics'.

So that adds up to "many" puzzling things? I think you are grasping at
straws here. And missing the point. That being many things derived
from quantum physics would have seemed like magic 150 years or so ago
and would have actually met the Randi challenge.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 12, 3:17*am, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Andrew Barss wrote:
Scott wrote:
:
: And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
: is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
: accepted in the high end audio realm?
It is, unfortunately, not de rigeur in wine tastings.
It seems more common that in audio, but, for example,
Robert Parker, the most powerful man in the wine world,
refuses to do blind tastings, apparently:
http://www.slate.com/?id=2067055

The bigger the name as a 'connoisseur', the more they have to lose
in a controlled situation.

It's analogous to the sitch in the audio industry too.

Do tell us how Robert Parker stands to diminish his name should he
choose to use blind protocols in his evaluation of wines? If it has
been so widely accepted among wine connoisseurs I see no logical
reason that he would stand to lose anything by such a change in his
protocols.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

Scott wrote:

: Do tell us how Robert Parker stands to diminish his name should he
: choose to use blind protocols in his evaluation of wines? If it has
: been so widely accepted among wine connoisseurs I see no logical
: reason that he would stand to lose anything by such a change in his
: protocols.

He assigns wines points on a 100 point scale (though I've never seen anything
rated below around 76-80 points). He also claims to be able to recall with
precision every wine he's ever had.

Suppose he were subjected to blind taste tests, and it were discovered that
his point scores vary tremendously from those assigned when he knew
the wine, its year, its maker, etc. Down goes his reputation.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Scott wrote:
[...]

I'd like to know the exact CDPs were tested. *Were they current
generation DACs or is this a test of obsolete DAC technology?

they were not current for sure. These tests were done in service of
the production of his 1994 remasters of the Mercury classical catalog.
This particular anomly was discovered when he was testing the physical
product from various manufacturers. He discovered that with certain
CDPs the CDs from some manufaturers were quite less than transparent
compared to the masters. This observation was later confirmed in a
number of other tests conducted by other parties.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:24:24 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

Andrew Barss wrote:
Scott wrote:

And explain why double-blind taste testing of wines
is de rigor in wine comparisons and is not
accepted in the high end audio realm?
It is, unfortunately, not de rigeur in wine tastings.
It seems more common that in audio, but, for example,
Robert Parker, the most powerful man in the wine world,
refuses to do blind tastings, apparently:
http://www.slate.com/?id=2067055

The bigger the name as a 'connoisseur', the more they have to lose
in a controlled situation.

It's analogous to the sitch in the audio industry too.

Do tell us how Robert Parker stands to diminish his name should he
choose to use blind protocols in his evaluation of wines? If it has
been so widely accepted among wine connoisseurs I see no logical
reason that he would stand to lose anything by such a change in his
protocols.

What if Robert Parker were to find that his DBT results were at odds with
his stated (and published) opinions? It would diminish his credibility, and
he probably realizes that.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 03:19:08 -0700, Steven Sullivan wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

The bottom line here is that the laws of physics (including the electrical
theory that governs the behavior of electrical conductors with frequency)
are immutable. Perpetual motion is impossible and always will be. Humans
cannot fly without the use of machines, one cannot lift a locomotive by his
muscle power alone, and normal runs of audio cables, by themselves, can have
no effect on the signal passing through them. They either are conductors are
they aren't.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Jul 12, 10:52*am, Andrew Barss wrote:
Scott wrote:

: Do tell us how Robert Parker stands to diminish his name should he
: choose to use blind protocols in his evaluation of wines? If it has
: been so widely accepted among wine connoisseurs I see no logical
: reason that he would stand to lose anything by such a change in his
: protocols.

He assigns wines points on a 100 point scale (though I've never seen anything
rated below around 76-80 points). *He also claims to be able to recall with
precision every wine he's ever had. *

Suppose he were subjected to blind taste tests, and it were discovered that
his point scores vary tremendously from those assigned when he knew
the wine, its year, its maker, etc. Down goes his reputation.

That is a very differnt thng than simply transitioning protocols and
continuing to make judgements. Yes you make a legitimate supposition.
But then haven't other wine connoisseurs actually done quite well in
literally recalling and identifying wines even under blind conditions?
Blind protocols might not be the grand diminisher that your
supposition proposes. It assumes he would fail quite miserably. An
assumption I would not make.

Top 100 Reasons For Despising Arnie Jenn[_2_] Audio Opinions 1 February 5th 09 12:22 AM
About Arnie K tubeguy Audio Opinions 184 July 22nd 05 07:40 AM
rec.audio.Arnie.Krueger Willi Audio Opinions 10 March 3rd 05 01:26 PM
*Thank Heaven For Arnie Kroo* Le Lionellaise Audio Opinions 0 September 15th 03 01:44 AM