Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
zutroi zutroi is offline

Default The future of audio compression?

Industrial One wrote:
What do you guys think? Will there be a successor to the current state-
of-the-art AAC codec, or do people not give a damn about compression
no more since FLACs and high-bitrate MP3s nowadays download in less
than a minute even in ****ty 3rd world countries? On the other hand,

Jesus, I wish. I'm in Australia and I'd have a hard time getting a FLAC
down in that time :-) We suck!
Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
Sean[_5_] Sean[_5_] is offline

zutroi wrote:
Industrial One wrote:
What do you guys think? Will there be a successor to the current state-
of-the-art AAC codec, or do people not give a damn about compression
no more since FLACs and high-bitrate MP3s nowadays download in less
than a minute even in ****ty 3rd world countries? On the other hand,

Jesus, I wish. I'm in Australia and I'd have a hard time getting a FLAC
down in that time :-) We suck!

Now now. You guys are on fire half the year. That has to count for
something.
Posted to comp.compression,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
Industrial One Industrial One is offline

On Mar 14, 1:13 am, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:33 am, Industrial One wrote:

I predict 16 kbps to
be advertized as comparable quality to 128 kbps MP3 (MP3 will never
die), and 32-64 being the new transparency point in audio.

With bandwidth and data storage increasing rapidly for most people, have you
stopped to ask WHY?
I predict 128-256kbs MP3/WMA/AAC etc may improve, but see no demand for any
thing lower.

MrT.

Mr. T, why do you keep replying to my posts?? Did I miss some
important event during my 6-month absence from rec.audio, such as you
coming out of the closet or something?

On Mar 23, 3:44 pm, Jim Leonard wrote:
On Mar 22, 8:18 pm, Industrial One wrote:

About justification, what about 22.1 audio that will come with
ultrahigh-definition video on HVDs? I'm listening to a .MOD right now,
vocals and everything, 16 channels and only 20 kbps.

That's not a fair comparison. That's like comparing a MIDI file to
a .WAV and asking why .WAV can't be that small. They're completely
different methods of producing audio.

MIDI has no vocals

So do yourself a favor and move outta that desert ********.