Posted to rec.audio.misc
LGLA LGLA is offline

Default Subwoofers and receivers

Hello all, if anyone can help. I am curious, I have an Onkyo two channel from '99 or
'00 (I know it is not 'high-end' please forgive) very basic. It does 50wpc into 8ohm or
105wpc into 4ohm so I picked up a pair of M&K 4ohm speakers used, very accurate,
as an upgrade but I need a subwoofer for them. They have two mids and a tweeter,
not enough bass.

Problem is, I don't know if a powered sub can take the 50 or 105 wpc into it's own
electronics as a pre-amped signal and then power the woofer? Because this receiver
does not have a pre-amp output for a sub. Is it safe to do so, or should I look for a
good passive sub?

Any help is much appreciated, and product recommendations are quite welcome.

--
Alex in SoCalifornia
cravdraa at yahoo dot com

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

LGLA wrote:
Hello all, if anyone can help. I am curious, I have an Onkyo two channel from '99 or
'00 (I know it is not 'high-end' please forgive) very basic. It does 50wpc into 8ohm or
105wpc into 4ohm so I picked up a pair of M&K 4ohm speakers used, very accurate,
as an upgrade but I need a subwoofer for them. They have two mids and a tweeter,
not enough bass.

Problem is, I don't know if a powered sub can take the 50 or 105 wpc into it's own
electronics as a pre-amped signal and then power the woofer? Because this receiver
does not have a pre-amp output for a sub. Is it safe to do so, or should I look for a
good passive sub?

Any help is much appreciated, and product recommendations are quite welcome.

Alex,

No, you should not run speaker level audio into the preamp inputs of a
sub woofer. However, there are subwoofers out there that have speaker
level inputs. The usual configuration is that you run your speaker
cables from the receiver to the subwoofer 'amp in' speaker terminals,
and then connect your speakers to the 'to speakers' terminals also on
the subwoofer. This might limit you choice of sub woofers, especially
if you already own one.

It might also be possible to have a electronics shop make a padding
network to connect between your sub woofer and receiver's speaker outs.
I'm no expert on this, so I can't make any specific suggestions on that.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Nina Nina is offline

On Feb 20, 5:20*pm, "LGLA" wrote:
Hello all, if anyone can help. *I am curious, I have an Onkyo two channel from '99 or
'00 (I know it is not 'high-end' please forgive) very basic. *It does 50wpc into 8ohm or
105wpc into 4ohm so I picked up a pair of M&K 4ohm speakers used, very accurate,
as an upgrade but I need a subwoofer for them. *They have two mids and a tweeter,
not enough bass.

Problem is, I don't know if a powered sub can take the 50 or 105 wpc into it's own
electronics as a pre-amped signal and then power the woofer? *Because this receiver
does not have a pre-amp output for a sub. *Is it safe to do so, or should I look for a
good passive sub?

Any help is much appreciated, and product recommendations are quite welcome.

--
Alex in SoCalifornia
cravdraa at yahoo dot com

Hi! I would get a passive subwoofer, and another power amplifier
source, and connect it to the tape record output of your reciever, and
then connect that second amplifier to your passive subwoofer(s). That
is the arrangement I use. I have a Fisher 210-T driving two Marantz
imperial-9 with disconected tweeters and it works just fine. You have
to adjust the volume seperately--but it is worth it. The old Fisher
will reach all de way down low and watching DVD's with deep bass it
just shakes the house. A good place to find a second amp is e-bay.
They have a Fisher 175-T that would be perfect for your needs I should
think. Remember, when you are talking bi-amplification, the amount of
power needed for effective high fidelity response is greatly reduced,
sic. your subwoofer amp has nothing to worry about exept the low end--
and an old Fisher is not going to be rolled off like the dumbed down
equipment of today! Yikes and Away!
Good listening then.
Janine

Car subwoofers gile Marketplace 0 October 3rd 07 10:36 PM
Looking for BLOWN MA AUDIO SUBWOOFERS & VISONIK SUBWOOFERS! RimShop Car Audio 1 October 22nd 04 07:26 PM
Subwoofers Howard Ferstler Audio Opinions 3 August 12th 04 05:40 AM
Subwoofers Kim Inglar Car Audio 3 November 26th 03 01:02 PM
subwoofers Sonoman Car Audio 1 July 14th 03 04:59 PM