Posted to rec.audio.pro
zikester zikester is offline

Default laptop rec for live performance

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a 13-in white Macbook with Firewire for about
$949 w/ student discount. I will need to spend another $50 on third-
party RAM. My main purposes for the laptop:
- a sound module for live MIDI keyboard playing ( I need reliable low-
latency, low-jitter MIDI )
- pull of some highly-sculpted pads and sweeps found in the house
music genre
- run loops/samples triggered in Ableton Live
- do some light recording of demo quality, single-track at a time

I have an additional $500 to spend on a sound module + software
( again with student discount ) ( if I went with the macbook, I was
thinking Tascam FireOne for $99, Ableton Live, and a lite version of
Reason or Cubase ).

For about $1000 or less, is there a Windows XP based laptop that could
do as a good a job for live performance?
I'm concerned with crackling, and noisy audio, and have heard that
Apple is well-engineered for live audio.
I've heard bad things about Windows reliabilty for live performance.
I have also heard that latency can be greater in an Apple, however,
but maybe this is due to using Firewire instead of a PCI sound module.

Technology changes fast, so I was wondering if any of you could help
out on some new non-mac alternatives to the macbook...particulary
including a good low-latency sound module that you like, total budget
around $1200.

Thanks,

Isaac
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article
,
zikester wrote:

[...]

Doesn't the Macbook ship with Garageband as part of the iLife Suite?
Maybe you don't need a sound module:

http://www.macjams.com/article.php?s...40128064923856

Tons of loops too.

I had a client come in with something they did in Garageband, and the
sounds they used were quite good.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

Consider:

Not necessarily. You need to check the firewire chip. See

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

and:

The speed of the machine is not important. I have recorded 12 channels,
24/96, with the aforementioned Asus, which has a 1gHz processor.It's

mainly
a question of the BIOS. The one Asus I use has a very friendly BIOS for
audio purposes, since it implements an extended interrupt system. But this
machine is 4 years old. Look for a deal where the supplied Vista has a
"downgrade to XP" option. It will save you alot of heartache.

Then the conclusion must be: buy a macbook. It simply works. Period.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Oct 22, 7:05*am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message

m...

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ozilla%3Aen-US...

and:

The speed of the machine is not important. I have recorded 12 channels,
24/96, with the aforementioned Asus, which has a 1gHz processor.It's

mainly
a question of the BIOS. The one Asus I use has a very friendly BIOS for
audio purposes, since it implements an extended interrupt system. But
this
machine is 4 years old. Look for a deal where the supplied Vista has a
"downgrade to XP" option. It will save you alot of heartache.

Then the conclusion must be: buy a macbook. It simply works. Period.

Meindert

You did not read:http://www.google.com/search?client=...ozilla%3Aen-US...

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Seems like this problem with the Agere firewire chip is limited to
Macbook Pros, correct? I didn't see this explicitly stated, but every
post that discussed this mentioned a MBP, not Macbook. But thanks for
the heads-up, this is exactly the type of problem I wanted to be aware
of *before* plopping down cash...similarly, if any of you have a
configuration that is windows-based that works, and is low-latency,
rock solid, then that's also something I'd love to hear...Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

zikester wrote:

Seems like this problem with the Agere firewire chip is limited to
Macbook Pros, correct? I didn't see this explicitly stated, but every
post that discussed this mentioned a MBP, not Macbook. But thanks for
the heads-up, this is exactly the type of problem I wanted to be aware
of *before* plopping down cash...similarly, if any of you have a
configuration that is windows-based that works, and is low-latency,
rock solid, then that's also something I'd love to hear...Thanks!

The fact is, that the latest MacBooks do *not* have FireWire built-in and no
expansion slot for a FW card.
If you want/need FW, you have to buy a "MacBook Pro"...

Windows-based laptops with FW controllers (and usually expansion slots, too)
can be found at lower prices than a MBP.
I´ve used a 4 year-old Dell Inspiron laptop with a TI FireWire chipset a few
times now without any issues.
MOTU 828 Mk2 - laptop via FW - Cubase SX3

Recorded up to 10 tracks at once successfully - at 24 bit / 44,1 kHz WAV.

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message
You did not read:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

Indeed, i did not. This is a very serious problem and very bad for Apple's
reputation.

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"zikester" wrote in message
On Oct 22, 7:05 am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
Seems like this problem with the Agere firewire chip is limited to
Macbook Pros, correct? I didn't see this explicitly stated, but every
post that discussed this mentioned a MBP, not Macbook.

But the latest Macbooks come without firewire....

Meindert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DeeAa[_4_] DeeAa[_4_] is offline

On 21 loka, 23:10, zikester wrote:
[...]

I would by a small-sized laptop with an SSD drive. HD troubles
gone...and they're QUICK.

I've a tiny Toshiba Portege, and I record with a Proteus Firepod
(firewire) eight tracks onto it, with Cubase, in 24bit. Then I toss
the audio tracks to an USB memory stick and bring in for mixing on
another machine.

To my utter surprise it all works very well - and quick too in Vista
Business. (I wouldn't choose Vista for music but so far everything's
worked absolutely hitchless. We'll see later on.

Cheers,

Dee