Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default If you had to replace HD 580 headphones...

My wife and I took a 2 week backwoods camp-and-canoe vacation just lately.
Unfortunately, our roving bionic security facility (an edgy Jindo bitch
named Sidney) was kenneled elsewhere. Thief or thieves broke in, removing
about $3,500 worth of bicycles, computer LCD displays and printer,
headphones, and a nice GPS. Yes, there's insurance.

There were a few jokes on the thieves. Among the headphones they took were a
well-abused pair of ATs that were held together with polyurethane glue, hot
melt glue, and solder.

Unfortunately, the thieves also took my prized HD-580s, unwashed ear pads
and all. So, they have a little bit of me to remember me by! ;-)

That leads to this question: What is *your* nomination for replacements for
my HD-580s?

HD 580s seem to have disappeared from the new equipment marketplace. :-(

Are HD 595's the answer?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

A used pair of HD414s. Get the original ones, not the reissues. They sound
very different.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioetc@bellsouth.net is offline

On Oct 20, 9:24*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
[...]

Give a listen to the Ultrasones if you can.

Eric
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf Cyberserf is offline

On Oct 20, 8:24*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
[...]

If you can't find the reissue 414's, the 595 is a good step up ;-)

Enjoy, CS
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Glenn Carlson" wrote in message

On 20 Oct 2008 10:26:30 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

--scott

Are those the ones with the yellow foam pads?
If so, I had the originals, 2 pairs in fact and they
always seemed to end up buzzing after a few years.
I dyed the ear pads blue BTW
(Hey, maybe then didn't like the blue!)

I've been occasionaly auditioning and avoiding HD 414s for decades, like
since they first came out in the 1960s, if memory serves.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

[...]

There's still the HD-600, and the HD-650, too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

"nebulax" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second the recommendation on the HD-600, I have that and the 580 and
find that I reach for the 600's whenever I want the truth about a
recording...it's the natural (and improved) successor to the 580. Perhaps
not quite as comfortable on the ears as the 580, especially a well-worn-in
pair, as the 600's exert a fraction more side pressure, but the design is
very similar and the enhanced fidelity is worth any slight discomfort :-)
Give the 600's an audition, the insurance payout should cover the cost. They
use the same cable as the 580, so you know about the shortcomings there with
dodgy connections, etc.
Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro

If you liked the 580s, I'd go with buying a pair of high-end Sennheisers.

It's a shame electrostatics have gotten so expensive, but if you are a
serious (that is, "sit down and listen attentively") listener, you should
consider a pair of STAX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Earspeakers

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ExportProducts.html

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...tax-Headphones

PS: The SR-001 "earphone" model is excellent, but I don't recommend it for
home use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agua Agua is offline

Don't forget that you can go to headphone.com because somewhere on
their site you can compare the frequency responses of up to four (I
think) different headphones. If you liked your 580s, then I'm sure
you could find something similar to them by using their chart. It's
also fun to compare your headphones to earbuds and see how different
they are.

For what it's worth, I have thoroughly loved my hd650s and have for
years. But honestly, you're just gonna have to go get your ears on
different models to truly find what you are looking for.

~S
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

My best wishes to you and your wife. If you can, turn the lemon into
some sweet lemonade.

I gotta admit, I am impressed with the AT ATH-M50. It's closer to the
mark in terms of accuracy than any headphone I have ever spent time with.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"david correia" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

My wife and I took a 2 week backwoods camp-and-canoe
vacation just lately. Unfortunately, our roving bionic
security facility (an edgy Jindo bitch named Sidney) was
kenneled elsewhere. Thief or thieves broke in, removing
about $3,500 worth of bicycles, computer LCD displays
and printer, headphones, and a nice GPS. Yes, there's
insurance.

One other loss - a digital weather station that I picked up for less than
$20 as a clearance, "special purchase" item at my favorite Aldi store. The
big shock - I can't touch a similar item for much less than $100.

There were a few jokes on the thieves. Among the
headphones they took were a well-abused pair of ATs that
were held together with polyurethane glue, hot melt
glue, and solder.

Unfortunately, the thieves also took my prized HD-580s,
unwashed ear pads and all. So, they have a little bit of
me to remember me by! ;-)

That leads to this question: What is *your* nomination
for replacements for my HD-580s?

HD 580s seem to have disappeared from the new equipment
marketplace. :-(

Are HD 595's the answer?

My best wishes to you and your wife. If you can, turn the
lemon into some sweet lemonade.

That appears to be in the hands of our insurance company.

The bicycles were the more emotional loss - I will especially miss my old
Nishiki. However, I must admit that the Trek that replaced it simply does
everything I need now, a whole lot better. My wife's Trek was relatively new
so it was totally replacable, but the depreciation of the dollar has pushed
the price tag of its similar replacement up about 20%.

I gotta admit, I am impressed with the AT ATH-M50. It's
closer to the mark in terms of accuracy than any
headphone I have ever spent time with.

That's no fun, I already have a pair of those! ;-)

For some reason, the thieves didn't take the AT ATH-M50. Perhaps they look
too ordinary. As your comments suggest, they don't sound ordinary.

BTW, this suggests that looking ordinary is not a fault for a true
professional tool, it may even be a virtue. I call that "Inherent
theft-proof" My 1995 Mystique sedan had that, too. ;-)

The thieves left the 7506s as well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

My wife and I took a 2 week backwoods camp-and-canoe
vacation just lately. Unfortunately, our roving bionic
security facility (an edgy Jindo bitch named Sidney) was
kenneled elsewhere. Thief or thieves broke in, removing
about $3,500 worth of bicycles, computer LCD displays
and printer, headphones, and a nice GPS. Yes, there's
insurance.

The thieves *left the 7506s as well.

I have the 580s and a friend had the 600s. They sound a feel close
enough that I'd bet you'll really like them.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

On 2008-10-22, david correia wrote:

I gotta admit, I am impressed with the AT ATH-M50. It's closer to the
mark in terms of accuracy than any headphone I have ever spent time with.

I found the ATH-M50 much more coloured than the HD 580. Better
than all closed headphones I've tried, but unfortunately far
from being as neutral and fatigue-free as the HD 580. Other
problems include :
- the pressure make my jaw hurt after a while,
- nasty coiled cord hanging off the left can,
- mediocre isolation.

Still, they're my least-hated closed headphones for short runs.
For long periods, I have to go back to the AKG K271 that sound
far worse but do not physically HURT me.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-10-25, Glenn Carlson wrote:

I went on a mission today listening to various headphones,
amongst them the M50's.
I agree with you concerning comfort.
They hurt my head, but it was weird because it was more like
my teeth and top of head hurt, not my ears or the side of my
head which is typical with uncomfortable phones.

Hi Glenn. Yes, the places that hurt are the jaw and teeth, not
those on which there is any direct pressure. It's interesting
that I'm not alone in getting that from the ATH-M50.

I did however find them very flat sounding.
In fact I was listening in a room that had wall to wall
monitors and while not the best place to listen, I bopped
between the Mackies, Dynaudio BM15 and Event ASP8 (My studio
monitors) and then to the phones and these sounded pretty
much, within reason, the same as the monitors.

I hear a general grunginess on the ATH-M50 and an emphasis on
the mids. Not as obnoxious as the K271, but bad enough that I
wouldn't want to have to judge tonal balance with them. If the
ATH-M50 work for you, all the better, though.

I put a set of 7506's on and obviously the difference between
the monitors, any of them, and the 7506 was huge...

Never heard those, but from the reputation they have, I'm not
surprised.

I also listened to the Senny 595 which sounded very nice IMHO
and was a heck of a lot more comfortable.

But the HD 595 are open, aren't they ? Good-sounding closed
headphones are hard to come by, that's the problem. Let us know
how you like the Grados.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not
the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists -- Abbie Hoffman.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Glenn Carlson" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:24:28 +0000 (UTC), Andre Majorel wrote:

I know this sounds strange and it is very difficult to describe so I
suggest people try for themselves.

The FR of headphones is affected by the shape of your pinnae (or auricles or
outer ears). Since everybody's pinnae are different, a given set of
headphones won't deliver the same acoustic signal to their ear canals.

There are similar effects with IEMs, only they involve differences in
individual ear canals instead.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I know this sounds strange and it is very difficult to describe so
I suggest people try for themselves.

The FR of headphones is affected by the shape of your pinnae (or auricles
or outer ears). Since everybody's pinnae are different, a given set of
headphones won't deliver the same acoustic signal to their ear canals.

But doesn't that depend on how the headphones' output interacts with the
pinnae?

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to FR).
But there is very strong agreement.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I know this sounds strange and it is very difficult to describe so
I suggest people try for themselves.

The FR of headphones is affected by the shape of your pinnae (or auricles
or outer ears). Since everybody's pinnae are different, a given set of
headphones won't deliver the same acoustic signal to their ear canals.

But doesn't that depend on how the headphones' output interacts with the
pinnae?

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to FR).
But there is very strong agreement.

This would be particularly true for ear-bud types, which don't interact
with the pinna at all. All the individual sound everyone is used to from
their own ear shape is absent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I know this sounds strange and it is very difficult to describe so
I suggest people try for themselves.

The FR of headphones is affected by the shape of your pinnae (or auricles
or outer ears). Since everybody's pinnae are different, a given set of
headphones won't deliver the same acoustic signal to their ear canals.

But doesn't that depend on how the headphones' output interacts with the
pinnae?

Yes.

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to FR).

Not necessarily.

It's the usual question about what is the weakest link, and what determines
what the listener hears.

Some headphones are so bad that nobody's pinnae can help them. Others are
really good.

Other headphones manage the pinnae problem better than others.

Take a headphone with a good flat, smooth driver, position and surround that
driver in such a way that it interfaces well with most people's pinnae, and
reliably create a sound that meets or exceeds market expectations. Lots of
people are going to line up, money in hand.

But there is very strong agreement.

It all fits.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
om...

The FR of headphones is affected by the shape of your pinnae (or
auricles
or outer ears). Since everybody's pinnae are different, a given set of
headphones won't deliver the same acoustic signal to their ear canals.

There are similar effects with IEMs, only they involve differences in
individual ear canals instead.

But doesn't that depend on how the headphones' output interacts with the
pinnae?

Yes.

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to
FR).
But there is very strong agreement.

The agreement is to be expected.

It's the usual question about what is the weakest link, and what determines
what the listener hears.

Some headphones are so bad that nobody's pinnae can help them. Others are
really good.

Other headphones manage the pinnae problem better than others.

Take a headphone with a good flat, smooth driver, position and surround that
driver in such a way that it interfaces well with most people's pinnae, and
reliably create a sound that meets or exceeds market expectations. Lots of
people are going to line up, money in hand.

This would be particularly true for ear-bud types, which don't interact
with the pinna at all.

No, but they do interact with the ear canal.

In my travels I found a text that was written for people who fit hearing
aids. It describes the inside-the-ear acoustic effects that various kinds of
ear canals, and how to modify IEMs to optimize them for these conditions.

All the individual sound everyone is used to from their own ear shape is
absent.

Only part of the story.

What we hear is affected by:

(1) The shape of our head, which is individual.

(2) The shape of our pinnae, which is individual

(3) The shape of our ear canal, which is individual

(4-...) The shape and construction of our ear drum, inner ear, the little
bones, the basilar membrane, the whole 9 yards. Everybody's is different.

And then it all gets dumped into that wet sponge we call our brain. ;-)

So there is no marvel to the fact that going from speakers to headphones to
IEMs are three different experiences.

Some day we will be able to stimulate the hearing parts of our brain
directly, but non-invasively. That will be yet another *sound*. I think a
little of this is already happening.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

All true, but my point was that for ear buds the pinna is bypassed and
can play no part in the shaping of the sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...

Arny Krueger wrote:

This would be particularly true for ear-bud types, which don't interact
with the pinna at all.

All true, but my point was that for ear buds the pinna is bypassed and can
play no part in the shaping of the sound.

Well, that was one of my points a couple of posts back, but thanks for
agreeing that it is a significant point. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to
FR). But there is very strong agreement.

The agreement is to be expected.
It's the usual question about what is the weakest link, and what
determines what the listener hears.
Some headphones are so bad that nobody's pinnae can help them.
Others are really good.

Then, by that reasoning, the better the headphones, the _greater_ the
disagreement among listeners as to what they sound like.

But this isn't true.

If you (Arny) picked out three headphones you thought were unusually good,
and three you thought were unusually bad, and I auditioned them blind (so
that my own biases were minimized), I'd be willing to bet that there would
be close to 100% agreement on which were good, which were bad, and why.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Only true if you ignore the following:

"Take a headphone with a good flat, smooth driver, position and surround
that
driver in such a way that it interfaces well with most people's pinnae, and
reliably create a sound that meets or exceeds market expectations."

Merely using a good driver is not sufficient to have a headphone that is
widely agreed upon to be good sounding.

The driver must be positioned and surrounded with ear cups in such a way
that it interfaces well with most people's pinnae.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article ,
david correia wrote:

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

I've switched over to the ATH-M50s recently and they seem to translate
pretty well, but I've been hearing some high frequency oddities since
getting an Apogee Mini-Dac that don't show up on the 7506s.

Also just got some Sennheiser HD-280 Pro sets at work that sound a bit
like the ATs at first impression. They're mechanically similar to the
ATs, so might produce the same comfort issues but I haven't worn them
that long yet.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message

I've switched over to the ATH-M50s recently and they seem to translate
pretty well, but I've been hearing some high frequency oddities since
getting an Apogee Mini-Dac that don't show up on the 7506s.

Hmm.

My take is that M50s are less colored than 7506s, and less colored generally
means more telling about subtle differences.

Also just got some Sennheiser HD-280 Pro sets at work that sound a bit
like the ATs at first impression.

Please listen again. ;-)

I have a pair of HD 280s that came out of storage after the thefts, if you
catch my drift...

They're mechanically similar to the
ATs, so might produce the same comfort issues but I haven't worn them
that long yet.

I can live with my M50s pretty well, but the 280s fit my head like a vise.
The good news is that tight fit is good for the bass, but the bass isn't the
most important thing to me. Actually, the 280s sound somewhat thumpy to me.