Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

Default DJ mixers XLR output capability or caveats

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Powell wrote:
Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,

Many DJ mixers have line level outputs on XLR connectors, but don't
assume anything. I think it's fair to expect that anything other than an
utter piece of junk will have +4 dBu nominal line level outputs on
either XLRs or 1/4" phone jacks which may be balanced or unbalanced. If
you're going to be working with someone else's mixer, don't leave home
without some adapters.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Powell" wrote in message
Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Most DJ mixers are providing the same function that any other mixer
performs. The output goes to some sort of PA or recording device. The only
caveat I can think of that the smaller cheaper DJ ones sometimes have
everything on RCA.s. Unbalanced obviously.

A pair of DI's and appropriate cables to connect to any desk and your camera
will get you out of most situations and is pretty much essential if you are
turning up equipment unknown anyway.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:57:27 -0400, "Powell"
wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

All DJ desks will have a Line Out. Sometimes it will be on XLR, more
often than not it will be an RCA jack. What they may not have is a
SPARE Line Out, over and above the one used for their own sound
system.

If you're aiming to walk into clubs etc. and ask for a feed from the
desk you need an assortment of adapter cables and other equipment. If
there's a pair of XLR Line inputs on the camera, presumably there's
also a pair of XLR Mic inputs? I'd start off with a pair of DI boxes.
Place these near the desk and hook up whatever outputs are available.
Then run XLRs to the camera. This gives you input flexibility and a
ground lift - useful should you wish to run the camera on it's mains
power adapter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Powell wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Mostly on crappy RCA / phono / Cinch connectors IME.

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:57:58 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Mostly on crappy RCA / phono / Cinch connectors IME.

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

But adequate for its purpose. No need to get snooty :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Powell wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Mostly on crappy RCA / phono / Cinch connectors IME.

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Graham

There's crap DJ gear and decent DJ gear out there, same as anything else. A
lot of it is designed for home use, that tends to be the poorer quality
stuff cos its dead cheap. Other is more professional for use in venues etc.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Eeyore wrote:

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Some is, some is very sophisticated and well built because it takes a
lot of abuse. Get back out of asshole mode. You were doing pretty well
here for a while.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Powell Powell is offline

"Laurence Payne" wrote

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

All DJ desks will have a Line Out. Sometimes it will
be on XLR, more often than not it will be an RCA jack.
What they may not have is a SPARE Line Out, over
and above the one used for their own sound system.

Good points. In high end audio, for example, a preamp's
output is sometimes referred to as an active line level
because voltages typical vary from 1 to 10 volts. And in
the case of some tube equipment like Audio Research
XLR output can reach 50 volts. If a DJ board only had
single ended or XLR outputs which are used to drive
power amps, I would think that these types of active
(non-line level / 2 volts) outputs should be avoided, no?

If you're aiming to walk into clubs etc. and ask for a feed from the
desk you need an assortment of adapter cables and other equipment. If
there's a pair of XLR Line inputs on the camera, presumably there's
also a pair of XLR Mic inputs? I'd start off with a pair of DI boxes.
Place these near the desk and hook up whatever outputs are available.
Then run XLRs to the camera. This gives you input flexibility and a
ground lift - useful should you wish to run the camera on it's mains
power adapter.

Thank you. I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs to
drive XLRs over a distance. I'm not thrilled about asking
the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart but a
battery power unit might work, if they are available.

Another option would be to place a A/D adaptor to USB at
the DJ mixer. But I'll be about 80' away. That would
require a USB repeater and 80' USB cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Oct 17, 9:57*am, "Powell" wrote:
"Laurence Payne" *wrote

[...]

I'd consider a small flash recorder at the DJ board to record the
sound...then you and the camera can move around without worrying about
cables...

also record the room sound via the camera mic.

combine the sound and video in post..

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Powell" wrote in message

I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs
to drive XLRs over a distance.

Not necessarily. A passive direct box has a step-down transformer which
lowers impedances to microphone standards, which are capable of "driving
XLRs over a distance".

I'm not thrilled about
asking the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart
but a battery power unit might work, if they are
available.

Active direct boxes are almost always powered by an internal battery and/or
phantom power from the mic input. The internal batteries (usually 9V)
usually last for weeks if inadvertently left on.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message

I'd consider a small flash recorder at the DJ board to
record the sound...then you and the camera can move
around without worrying about cables...

also record the room sound via the camera mic.

combine the sound and video in post..

Agreed. I've been thinking about that option every time I saw the thread.

Wild sound is a very viable option in the digital age.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Mostly on crappy RCA / phono / Cinch connectors IME.

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

But adequate for its purpose. No need to get snooty :-)

Adequate for going 'thump thump' SURE !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Powell wrote:

Do most DJ mixing boards have a line level
(voltage/impedance) XLR output capability
needed to drive a signal to a XH-A1 camera,
I'm assuming yes, but are there any caveats?

Mostly on crappy RCA / phono / Cinch connectors IME.

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

There's crap DJ gear and decent DJ gear out there, same as anything else. A
lot of it is designed for home use, that tends to be the poorer quality
stuff cos its dead cheap. Other is more professional for use in venues etc.

The good stuff is very much in the minority and it sounds like the OP has no
idea what he's likely to encounter which could be disastrous. If he's near
enough, he ought to check it out.

'Spare' outputs are very rare btw.

Rane make some decent DJ mixers btw.

This is one I designed and is right up there with the best, optical VCAs and
all.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

It does actually have spare 'record' outputs too.
http://www.studiomaster.com/productspic/fusion-lrg2.jpg

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Some is, some is very sophisticated and well built because it takes a
lot of abuse. Get back out of asshole mode. You were doing pretty well
here for a while.

Maybe I should have said "the bulk of DJ gear is the lowest of the low" ?
It probably has a lower reputation in the UK than the US due to really ****
cheap imports. And 'DJ Amps' are execrable.

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote in message

****
cheap imports. And 'DJ Amps' are execrable.

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

Graham

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.
Why do you keep doing this? Nobody else does.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Mike Rivers wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Some is, some is very sophisticated and well built because it takes a
lot of abuse. Get back out of asshole mode. You were doing pretty well
here for a while.

Maybe I should have said "the bulk of DJ gear is the lowest of the low" ?
It probably has a lower reputation in the UK than the US due to really
**** cheap imports. And 'DJ Amps' are execrable.

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.
Why do you keep doing this?

Because it's what I do (design audio) plus it's an example of some kit that
would actually satisfy the OP's requirements.

Nobody else does.

How many actual high-volume pro-audio designers are there here aside from me ?

Got an interesting SSL4000E/G conversion job coming up btw if I'm lucky.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.

Did you actually look at it btw before mouthing off ? I don't think even Rane
has anything like it, although they've had a few years to catch up now.

Why do you keep doing this?

Maybe it's over-compensation for Phildo's libels in aapl-s You could help stop
that if you actually cared.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Got an interesting SSL4000E/G conversion job coming up btw if I'm lucky.

This is some new definition of "lucky" that I have never heard used before.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Got an interesting SSL4000E/G conversion job coming up btw if I'm lucky.

This is some new definition of "lucky" that I have never heard used before.

LMAO ! I know what you mean Scott. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say
about it right now (pre-contract) but it's basically about building a new
monitor section to 're-purpose' them.

And if it's as successful as initial enquiries suggest, we're likely to do one
for Neve Vs too.

I'm really keen btw.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:57:17 -0400, "Powell"
wrote:

Thank you. I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs to
drive XLRs over a distance. I'm not thrilled about asking
the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart but a
battery power unit might work, if they are available.

That's not why you choose an active DI box. Unless your camear has a
VERY long lens (and it's a VERY large club:-) you'll have no problem
with long cables.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.

Did you actually look at it btw before mouthing off ? I don't think even
Rane
has anything like it, although they've had a few years to catch up now.

Why do you keep doing this?

Maybe it's over-compensation for Phildo's libels in aapl-s You could help
stop
that if you actually cared.

Graham

Well actually I don't. Whatever you THINK has happened is IMHO trivial.
Recently you have become one of the most reviled and mistrusted people on
Usenet. I think you are in deep ****.

I suggest you stop abusing whatever substance you are abusing, or take a
holiday. Preferably both.

We are not amused.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Gareth Magennis wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.

Did you actually look at it btw before mouthing off ? I don't think even
Rane has anything like it, although they've had a few years to catch up now.

So you didn't then.

Why do you keep doing this?

Maybe it's over-compensation for Phildo's libels in aapl-s You could help
stop that if you actually cared.

Well actually I don't. Whatever you THINK has happened is IMHO trivial.
Recently you have become one of the most reviled and mistrusted people on
Usenet.

Conversations in other groups (and IMing plus emails) confound your assertion.

I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got £4000
left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

I suggest you stop abusing whatever substance you are abusing, or take a
holiday. Preferably both.

We are not amused.

I suggest you leave Phildo's cabal of whining, libelling ****bags and
stirrer-uppers and damn well grow up. You know, become an adult as they say.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000
left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

Hmmmm, lets put that back into context shall we.

I said:

Well actually I don't. Whatever you THINK has happened is IMHO trivial.
Recently you have become one of the most reviled and mistrusted people on
Usenet. I think you are in deep ****.

You replied:
Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000
left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

This is typical of what you do. You do not answer or even read the question
posed, but decide to answer a completely different one that you just made
up. Almost always to try and put a few more feathers in your cap.

(Allison has been screaming this for years, I don't take credit for this
observation)

I'm sure there is a name for this condition.

You really are in deep ****.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000 left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

Hmmmm, lets put that back into context shall we.

No let's not you superficial stinking turd. You wouldn't understand 'context' if
someone hit you hard round the head with it.

You're a clueless MORON and a Phildo lover (yuck).

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

(Allison has been screaming this for years, I don't take credit for this
observation)

Allison is MENTALLY ILL ! You can see because he's reasonable and very lucid
sometimes, he's even given me help with an enquiry ot two, then he completely
goes off his rocker and makes death threats (presumably when he forgets to take
his medication).

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000 left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

Hmmmm, lets put that back into context shall we.

No let's not you superficial stinking turd. You wouldn't understand
'context' if
someone hit you hard round the head with it.

You're a clueless MORON and a Phildo lover (yuck).

Graham

Completely avoiding the subject again .................

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

(Allison has been screaming this for years, I don't take credit for this
observation)

Allison is MENTALLY ILL ! You can see because he's reasonable and very
lucid
sometimes, he's even given me help with an enquiry ot two, then he
completely
goes off his rocker and makes death threats (presumably when he forgets to
take
his medication).

Graham

Graham, we're all mentally ill. I don't know anyone (me included) I would
consider to be "normal". The trick is how you deal with it.

Upsetting the populace doesn't usually work in your favour.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Gareth Magennis wrote:

(Allison has been screaming this for years, I don't take credit for this
observation)

Allison is MENTALLY ILL ! You can see because he's reasonable and very
lucid sometimes, he's even given me help with an enquiry or two, then he
completely goes off his rocker and makes death threats (presumably when he

forgets to
take his medication).

Graham, we're all mentally ill.

I do not subscribe to that POV.

I don't know anyone (me included) I would
consider to be "normal". The trick is how you deal with it.

There are huge degrees of difference. I fail to see how your comment helps in
any way.

Can we get over this please ? And do please get some more maturity.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Gareth Magennis wrote:

I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000 left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

Hmmmm, lets put that back into context shall we.

No let's not you superficial stinking turd. You wouldn't understand
'context' if someone hit you hard round the head with it.

You're a clueless MORON and a Phildo lover (yuck).

Graham

Completely avoiding the subject again .................

It IS the subject. How many arses did you lick today ?

If you can find the maturity in yourself to behave like a responsible adult
(like I pretty much had to do at age 14) and stop this absurd abuse, I'll forget
you ever brought it up.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

If you can find the maturity in yourself to behave like a responsible
adult
(like I pretty much had to do at age 14) and stop this absurd abuse, I'll
forget
you ever brought it up.

Graham

Is this some kind of juvenile threat?

Like, if I behave myself you will forget this ever happened?

Try this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narciss...ality_disorder

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Like, if I behave myself you will forget this ever happened?

It would be a sensible decision.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Mike Rivers wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Some is, some is very sophisticated and well built because it takes a
lot of abuse. Get back out of asshole mode. You were doing pretty well
here for a while.

Maybe I should have said "the bulk of DJ gear is the lowest of the low" ?
It probably has a lower reputation in the UK than the US due to really
****
cheap imports. And 'DJ Amps' are execrable.

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

Graham

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.
Why do you keep doing this? Nobody else does.

Gareth.

Does anyone else here make a living designing audio equipment for the
masses?

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:

Does anyone else here make a living designing audio equipment for the
masses?

I worked as an engineer for a major US consumer electronics manufacturer
shortly after they had been taken over by a Japanese concern, and after
two weeks of cost-containment engineering horror I quit. Does that count?
--scott

I do still do some consulting work on mass-produced products and for the
most part it's even worse now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Powell wrote:

Good points. In high end audio, for example, a preamp's
output is sometimes referred to as an active line level
because voltages typical vary from 1 to 10 volts.

I've never heard of the designation "active line level." I (and most
people who write spec sheets) call them "nominal +4 dBu" or something
like that - often incorrectly leaving off the voltage reference or
calling it dBm, or not saying "nominal" but at least you have an idea of
what to expect.

And in
the case of some tube equipment like Audio Research
XLR output can reach 50 volts.

That's pretty hot, but not something that you're likely to encounter in
the DJ field. I was impressed when I measured an Ampex MX-10 mixer and
found that the output could hit 40 VRMS before visible clipping
occurred. But today's solid state gear at the "prosumer" level (and
that's what most of it is like it or not) will just about push +22 dBu
with a tailwind.

If a DJ board only had
single ended or XLR outputs which are used to drive
power amps, I would think that these types of active
(non-line level / 2 volts) outputs should be avoided, no?

I wouldn't expect even non-differential balanced outputs to be that low.
I'd expect that on an RCA jack 15 years ago or on a home stereo
amplifier, but not a modern DJ mixer. I can't say that there isn't some
piece of gear somewhere that's so feeble, but as I said in my first
reply to the original poster - know what you're connecting to and don't
assume anything when it's someone else's gear.

I'm researching Direct Boxes. It would seem
that an active box would be a better choice if one needs to
drive XLRs over a distance.

That's not the reason for an active DI. An active DI can (and does) have
a higher input impedance on the high level/high impedance side than one
with a transformer. The intent is to more lightly load an instrument
pickup, not to drive a long line. If you want to drive a long cable, you
want a line driver, not a DI. People tend to suggest DIs when they're
not appropriate just because they have the right mix of connectors. It's
what you need if you're interfacing an electric guitar with a mixer, not
if you're interfacing an unbalanced line level output with a balanced
line level input. You don't want to take the loss in level that you get
from a DI (which is intended to interface with a mic level input).

I'm not thrilled about asking
the DJ for AC power for a space eating wallwart

Then don't. Bring your own power strip and if necessary, as him to plug
his power strip into yours. Again, don't assume anything. Batteries are
fine if you got 'em, and they're essential when you have no AC power.
But if there's reliable AC available, by all means, use it. It's not
like you're going to be drawing so much current that the facilities will
be compromised.

Another option would be to place a A/D adaptor to USB at
the DJ mixer. But I'll be about 80' away. That would
require a USB repeater and 80' USB cable.

Or 80 feet of analog cable, which is rarely a problem at line levels
when fed from a low impedance source, even if it's unbalanced. Better
balanced of course, but if you don't have what's best, you use what you
got and get down to work. Never let less-than-optimum keep you from
getting started and learning what you can and can't get away with.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

david correia wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
Mike Rivers wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

DJ gear is the lowest of the low.

Some is, some is very sophisticated and well built because it takes a
lot of abuse. Get back out of asshole mode. You were doing pretty well
here for a while.

Maybe I should have said "the bulk of DJ gear is the lowest of the low" ?
It probably has a lower reputation in the UK than the US due to really
**** cheap imports. And 'DJ Amps' are execrable.

I designed a decent DJ console myself in fact.
http://www.studiomaster.com/products/Fusion.htm

I think we're all a bit sick of you telling us what you designed, Graham.
Why do you keep doing this? Nobody else does.

Does anyone else here make a living designing audio equipment for the
masses?

To the best of my knowledge not a soul.

Here's something I designed in 80/81 btw. My first true commercial design.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:uk

I even made a living making audio equipment for the super wealthy and
corporations when I was a Project Leader at Neve. SSL tried to poach me whilst I
was there btw !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote ...
Gareth Magennis wrote:
I think you are in deep ****.

Not even remotely. Although more money would be nice. But I've only got
£4000 left on the mortgage so nothing too much to worry about.

Hmmmm, lets put that back into context shall we.

No let's not you superficial stinking turd. You wouldn't understand
'context' if
someone hit you hard round the head with it.

You're a clueless MORON and a Phildo lover (yuck).

He seems to have something for Brian McCarty as well.
I don't think I want to know what it is.