Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Margules Audio "Daleth" 5.1 Channel analog preamp

I did something very uncharacteristic of me the other day, which is to be
conservative in my audio purchases, and bought one of these on Audiogon at a
very reasonable price. I've finished programming it but haven't auditioned
it yet...will have to wait until Wednesday when I have time.

It essentially duplicates the form-factor of the McCormick MAP-1
preamp....all analog but with digital controls and relay switching. It
features two 5.1 inputs and three stereo line level inputs. All channels
are individually adjustable for volume level using digitally controlled
potentiometers, have individually controlled analog crossovers at
40,60,80,100, and 120hz, and the stereo channels each have defeatable
analog-derived matrix surround sound. It features Class A preamp circuitry
with no negative loop feedback.

While its control system is a little funky, it is very solidly and heavily
built. Never heard of it? Well, neither had I. Margules Audio is a
well-established Mexican company and its product sold throughout South and
Central America and in Europe, as well as in some places on the West Coast.
The unit cost $1400 when new and sold in small quantities in the US during
the early 2000's when SACD and DVD-Audio were at their peak. It garnered a
few favorable reviews, but never hit the mainstream audio press.

The manufacturer makes a point about its low output impedance and ability to
drive any cable or input capacitance....I'm buying it to have it for the
convenience of ganged switching and volume control as I have now with my
three stacked Onkyo preamps....but without the high-frequency output rolloff
into the lowish 10K input impedance of my Outlaw monoblocks. I hope it
proves as transparent as otherwise the Onkyo's are.

I'll drop a note in the future about how it sounds. Just thought others
might like to know of its existence.

Harry Lavo
Holyoke, MA