Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

Default High prices for suspension equipped turntables

From a review of Jerry Raskin's NeedleDoctor web site it appears the
cheapest turntable with any kind of suspension system, new, is in in
the $2000-2500 range.

That's ridiculous.

I think the bottom line is there's a lot of people out there that have
more money than any sense of what it costs to make things.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] suckerton2@gmx.us is offline

I think the bottom line is there's a lot of people out there that have
more money than any sense of what it costs to make things.

Agreed. But I like the sound of:http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...2&category=347

and

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...table?sc=2&cat...
y=347

and

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...table-Package?...
&category=347

and

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-P3-...2&category=353

and even

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...n-Mk-III_2?sc=...
tegory=352

for example

Ever skip rope in front of one? Ever have someone in the next
apartment skip rope while you're listening to one? That can be even
worse.

You need a suspension with springs AND dampers. Springs don't absorb
energy, they simply hold it in suspension for a certain period.
Dampers-"shock absorbers"-convert the resonant energy into, usually,
heat.

You will wind up with a system with a resonant frequency and a "Q",
like a tank circuit. You do know about tank circuits, yes?

The resonance has to be either above or below the area of interest,
say 20 to 20000 Hertz. With some overlap.

The old console builders knew that. Of course, they cheated by
rolling off early on both ends, because any serious bass response
would have invited "ground resonance" and the box would have shook
like an old washing machine with a bowling ball in the drum.

All this aside, you are talking a matter of cents for the springs and
a couple dollars for the dampers. The expensive bits are the bearing-
$10 to $100, $200 tops for missile grade-and the motor, similar
pricing. If you want electronic active motor control you are looking
at twenty to fifty bucks. The Linn Lingo has about $30 in parts at
Digikey onesy hobbyist prices. (Design costs? Any good designer could
have done it in a day, with PCB, for $500.)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

No, I don't usually skip rope while listening to music. If I did, what
would happen?

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Jenn knows very well what would happen: the needle would start skipping
like crazy.

But a suspension, though very beneficial, is no cure-all. Bottom line is
that modern houses are vinyl-playback-unfriendly.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jun 10, 5:00�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

You'd get a good workout.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Jenn:

"

Depends on several factors. But the problem is generally avoided if one
avoids jumping rope in front of one's TT. "

Don't live in an apartment or condo, then? Well, good.

I hope you also live a long way from airports, rail yards, elevated
superhighways, and any construction work involving piledrivers or
explosives. And in a house built back in the old days with real timbers
and a heavy floor.

Most people can't say all that and for them a non-suspended TT is just
going to be misery.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
outaudio.com,
"BretLudwig" wrote:

Jenn:

"

Depends on several factors. But the problem is generally avoided if one
avoids jumping rope in front of one's TT. "

Don't live in an apartment or condo, then? Well, good.

I hope you also live a long way from airports, rail yards, elevated
superhighways, and any construction work involving piledrivers or
explosives. And in a house built back in the old days with real timbers
and a heavy floor.

Most people can't say all that and for them a non-suspended TT is just
going to be misery.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

I've had a non-suspended TT in a house with a very rickety floor and
never had a problem. Seriously. Why would one jump around in front of
your TT anyway?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 10, 6:26�pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
�Jenn knows very well what would happen: the needle would start skipping
like crazy.

Only if she sets it on a suspended floor. Duh.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
Vinylanach wrote:

On Jun 10, 6:26?pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
?Jenn knows very well what would happen: the needle would start skipping
like crazy.

Only if she sets it on a suspended floor. Duh.

Boon

My TT has rounded "spike" feet, and sets on a heavy Target stand, also
spiked.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jun 10, 7:50�pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

�"BretLudwig" wrote:
Jenn:

"

Depends on several factors. �But the problem is generally avoided if one
avoids jumping rope in front of one's TT. "

�Don't live in an apartment or condo, then? Well, good.

�I hope you also live a long way from airports, rail yards, elevated
superhighways, and any construction work involving piledrivers or
explosives. And in a house built back in the old days with real timbers
and a heavy floor.

�Most people can't say all that and for them a non-suspended TT is just
going to be misery.

--
Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information athttp://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

I've had a non-suspended TT in a house with a very rickety floor and
never had a problem. �Seriously. �Why would one jump around in front of
your TT anyway?- Hide quoted text -

I currently have a suspended TT on a suspended floor and have
occasional issues. There are so many holes in these guys' logic...has
anyone ever heard of a friggin' wall shelf? I just had one sent to me
that retails for $1500. Pretty serious little shelf, and I bet you
can skip rope next to it all day long.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Ever skip rope in front of one? Ever have someone in the
next apartment skip rope while you're listening to one?
That can be even worse.

You need to stop hanging out in poorly-constructed fleabags.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Arnii Krooborg, pathetic loser

The Krooborg is blinded by the beam in its own eye.

You need to stop hanging out in poorly-[sic]constructed fleabags.

Hey there, Mr. ****. Done any arguing with yourself lately? ;-)

One day you'll be locked away for your own protection. When that day
comes, you'll have to reminisce longingly about the beatings you took
from Mistress Jenn. Maybe you should get a tattoo to help you remember
the good old days.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 11, 6:17*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

Ever skip rope in front of one? Ever have someone in the
next apartment skip rope while you're listening to one?
That can be even worse.

You need to stop hanging out in poorly-constructed fleabags.

Finally. A comment from somebody with 'good character'.

Well done, GOIA!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 11 Iun, 00:46, Vinylanach wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:50�pm, Jenn wrote:

In article
outaudio.com,

�"BretLudwig" wrote:
Jenn:

"
[...]

anyone ever heard of a friggin' wall shelf? Â*I just had one sent to me
that retails for $1500. Â*Pretty serious little shelf, and I bet you
can skip rope next to it all day long.

Boon-

I hope the rope costs less.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On Jun 10, 9:46*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*Vinylanach wrote:
On Jun 10, 6:26?pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:
?Jenn knows very well what would happen: the needle would start skipping
like crazy.

Only if she sets it on a suspended floor. Duh.

Boon

My TT has rounded "spike" feet, and sets on a heavy Target stand, also
spiked.

On a concrete slab?

Yep.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

ScottW said:

I used to have most of my collection on cassette as vinyl & parties
are a recipe for disaster. I always felt I could record my albums
on a decent cassette and have much better sound than the prerecorded
ones offered. They seemed to always saturate the tape and the
dolby ones (if you could get them) never matched my players eq.
Then I got a little dbx box and liked that much better than dolby
and of course no prerecorded options for that existed AFAIK.
I still have my old Denon player but haven't plugged it in for
a decade or more. Belts, if it has any, are probably shot.

Yeah, prerecorded tapes were a lottery some great most mediocre.
I never liked using Dolby for recording, a good tape and care with
levels was what i found best.
Never heard dbx, how did that compare?

--
Ken
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Vinylanach Vinylanach is offline

On Jun 11, 4:26�am, George M. Middius
wrote:
The Krooborg is blinded by the beam in its own eye.

You need to stop hanging out in poorly-[sic]constructed fleabags.

Hey there, Mr. ****. Done any arguing with yourself lately? ;-)

One day you'll be locked away for your own protection. When that day
comes, you'll have to reminisce longingly about the beatings you took
from Mistress Jenn. Maybe you should get a tattoo to help you remember
the good old days.

Arny lives in old, dilapidated house. He speaks from experience.

Boon
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Vinylanach" wrote in message

Arny lives in old, dilapidated house. He speaks from
experience.

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective views of my house
(about 2 years ago, before we finished up the new cement work) that can be
found on the web. You can find my street address at www.pcavtech.com .

Let Marc do the same thing, if he's man enough.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Vinylanach" wrote in message

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective views of my house
(about 2 years ago, before we finished up the new cement work) that can be
found on the web. You can find my street address atwww.pcavtech.com.

"This Page Last Revised 11/06/2005 (abk) "

Not only is your house dilapidated, so is your website.
Looks like it was designed in the buggy whip days.
It is so very obsolete!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Vinylanach" wrote in message

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective
views of my house (about 2 years ago, before we finished
up the new cement work) that can be found on the web.
You can find my street address atwww.pcavtech.com.

"This Page Last Revised 11/06/2005 (abk) "

Not only is your house dilapidated, so is your website.
Looks like it was designed in the buggy whip days.
It is so very obsolete!

Let's see your house, Art.

Oh, I forgot - you're not man enough to play this game.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 12 Iun, 18:28, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Vinylanach" wrote in message

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective
views of my house (about 2 years ago, before we finished
up the new cement work) that can be found on the web.
You can find my street address atwww.pcavtech.com.

"This Page Last Revised 11/06/2005 (abk) "

Not only is your house dilapidated, so is your website.
Looks like it was designed in the buggy whip days.
It is *so very obsolete!

Let's see your house, Art.

Oh, I forgot - you're not man enough to play this game.- Ascunde citatul -

- Afiºare text în citat -

http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/romania/buppal.jpg

but soon I will be moving to my summer home in Bran

http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...5216563,00.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:28, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Vinylanach" wrote in message

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective
views of my house (about 2 years ago, before we
finished up the new cement work) that can be found on
the web. You can find my street address
atwww.pcavtech.com.

"This Page Last Revised 11/06/2005 (abk) "

Not only is your house dilapidated, so is your website.
Looks like it was designed in the buggy whip days.
It is so very obsolete!

Let's see your house, Art.

Oh, I forgot - you're not man enough to play this game.-
Ascunde citatul -

- Afiºare text în citat -

http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/romania/buppal.jpg

but soon I will be moving to my summer home in Bran

http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...5216563,00.jpg

Obviously, you're not man enough, Art.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
"Vinylanach" wrote in message

I invite one and all to check out the nice perspective
views of my house (about 2 years ago, before we
finished up the new cement work) that can be found on
the web. You can find my street address
atwww.pcavtech.com.

"This Page Last Revised 11/06/2005 (abk) "

Not only is your house dilapidated, so is your website.
Looks like it was designed in the buggy whip days.
It is so very obsolete!

Let's see your house, Art.

Oh, I forgot - you're not man enough to play this game.-
Ascunde citatul -

- Afiºare text în citat -

http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/romania/buppal.jpg

but soon I will be moving to my summer home in Bran

http://www.news.com.au/common/imaged...5216563,00.jpg

Obviously, you're not man enough, Art.-

With the likes of Bob Morein running around here, it is wise
to keep most aspects of my private life private.
Too bad you didn't do the same.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Obviously, you're not man enough, Art.-

With the likes of Bob Morein running around here, it is wise
to keep most aspects of my private life private.
Too bad you didn't do the same.

Not at all. Mr. **** is proud that everybody knows where he lives. That
makes him a big, brave "man".

Never mind that in the past, he's whined about certain posters "stalking"
him, and certain others making "death threats". As of today, revealing
personal info is "manly".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 12 Iun, 21:49, George M. Middius wrote:
Clyde Slick said:

Obviously, you're not man enough, Art.-

With the likes of Bob Morein running around here, it is wise
to keep most aspects of my private life private.
Too bad you didn't do the same.

Not at all. Mr. **** is proud that everybody knows where he lives. That
makes him a big, brave "man".

Never mind that in the past, he's whined about certain posters "stalking"
him, and certain others making "death threats". As of today, revealing
personal info is "manly".

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 20:41, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:28, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in
message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
[...]

No Art, what you're saying by your cowardly actions is that you are ashamed
of what you do here and don't want to be connected with it in the real
world.

Too bad you didn't do the same.

That's because I'm not a coward like you, Marc, ****R and the Middiot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"George M. Middius" wrote in
message news
Never mind that in the past, he's whined about certain
posters "stalking" him, and certain others making "death
threats".

In fact all those things have happened and are continuing to happen. It
wasn't a whine, it was a statement of fact.

As of today, revealing personal info is "manly".

No, it has always been that way. Middiot, if you were a man you'd stand
behind your RAO antics in the real world. However, Like Art and ****R, you
need the cover of anonymity because you know that what you are up to is
intrinsically wrong.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

You proved yourself again to be 100% coward, Art.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 13 Iun, 06:37, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 20:41, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 18:28, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in
message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
[...]

You are completley insane.
You relish being stalked.
ACtually, you are very upset with me for criticizing Bob for calling
your pastor
and asking him to call opff the dogs.
Its the very last thing you want.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 13 Iun, 06:40, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

You proved yourself again to be 100% coward, Art.

nice troll.
people stalking you at your church.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 06:40, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

You proved yourself again to be 100% coward, Art.

nice troll.

True fact.

church.

Thanks for admitting that you agree that they are stalking me, Art.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 06:37, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 12 Iun, 20:41, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in
message

On 12 Iun, 18:28, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in
message

On 12 Iun, 18:05, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
[...]

You are completley (sic) insane.

No, I've made my point.

You relish being stalked.

I find it amusing in an odd way. In your fear and hate Art, you condone the
stalkers and praise their weirdness.

I think you wish you were brave enough to be like them or your Master
Commander, the Middiot.

ACtually, you are very upset with me for criticizing Bob
for calling your pastor
and asking him to call opff the dogs.

Not at all. That only makes sense. Bob's behavior is way over the top. I
wonder if his minders will put some constraints on him. They will find out
because he will tell them.

Its the very last thing you want.

Wrong again. I would very much prefer to live a quiet life, but these nuts
have imposed themselves on me. However, I try to be a helpful host for them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 13 Iun, 07:08, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 06:40, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

You proved yourself again to be 100% coward, Art.

nice troll.

True fact.

church.

Thanks for admitting that you agree that they are stalking me, Art.

I was taking you at your word.
My mistake!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 13 Iun, 07:12, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Wrong again. I would very much prefer to live a quiet life, but these nuts
have imposed themselves on me. However, I try to be a helpful host for them.-

You purposefully make yourself a quite attractive target
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 07:08, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 06:40, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in
message

I was barely 'man enough' to resist his troll.

You proved yourself again to be 100% coward, Art.

nice troll.

True fact.

stalking you at your church.

Thanks for admitting that you agree that they are
stalking me, Art.

I was taking you at your word.

No Art, you were trapped by your own words.

My mistake!!!!

You make a lot of mistakes like these.

What is your reward for acting like a twit?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 13 Iun, 07:12, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Wrong again. I would very much prefer to live a quiet
life, but these nuts have imposed themselves on me.
However, I try to be a helpful host for them.-

You purposefully make yourself a quite attractive target

How do you know that, Art?

Did God tell you that?

How about the Middiot, did he convince you of that?

Besides, you've just admitted that you willingly allow yourself to be
manipulated by me.

Don't you have something else to do than be my toy?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Pseudonyms

Elsewhere, I got into an argument with a blogger who wants to publish the
real name of a moderately well known pseudonymous Internet pundit. A
couple of years ago, I publicly pointed out that this self-assured
opinion
writer had once been a close associate of a famous crackpot. That
information provided readers some useful perspective in how seriously to
take his complicated views on foreign policy. But I didn't publish his
name because that kind of thing has a "chilling effect" on free speech.

In general, in this era of Watsoning, I am against revealing the
identities of pseudonymous writers, especially ones with day jobs. My
blogroll has a lot of pseudonyms on it, and I don't make much of an
effort
to figure out who is La Griffe du Lion or Audacious Epigone. Five years
ago
I put some effort into figuring out who the War Nerd really was, but then
stopped. I knew who clander of Stuff White People Like was, but didn't
tell
anybody until he started giving interviews as Christian Lander.

We're in an era when there's not much you can reveal about your behavior
that can get you into trouble, but there's plenty of danger in speaking
your mind honestly.

Indeed, I advise anyone thinking of becoming a regular opinionator to
strongly consider picking a pseudonym and sticking with it. If I had to
do
it again, I would have picked a pen name, although that raises its own
problems, such as depositing checks from editors made out to your
pseudonym. And there is the fear that somebody else would horn in on your
work -- that's why, when Vladimir Nabokov was considering publishing
Lolita anonymously, he created the anagrammatic character "Vivian
Darkbloom" to prove his authorship.

My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer
By Steve Sailer on 6/12/2008 Cited by 33 comments

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Paranoa™Borg sprays RAO with a virulent stream of Kroologic.

Never mind that in the past, he's whined about certain
posters "stalking" him, and certain others making "death
threats".

In fact all those things have happened and are continuing to happen. It
wasn't a whine, it was a statement of fact.

Yes, of course. Just because they're not really out to get you doesn't
mean you can't be paranoid anyway.

As of today, revealing personal info is "manly".

No, it has always been that way. [My supreme master], if you were a man you'd stand
behind your RAO antics in the real world. However, Like Art and ****R, you
need the cover of anonymity because you know that what you are up to is
intrinsically wrong.

Did you say wrong? Is there anything wrong with you, Turdbucket?

;-)