Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Micrphone recomendatios sought

Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk. The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go to four if
that would be better.

Thanks

Adrian
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

"Adrian" wrote ...
Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence
recording some meetings.

Are these meetings using some sort of sound reinforcement
(PA) system already? i.e. can you tap into an existing setup,
or do you have to roll your own?

The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk.

Is the piano player doing the singing?
Is the lecturer doing the singing (or in the same place)?
Or do you need separate mics for:
piano, singer, and lecturer?

The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

There appears to be more than one mixer called
"1204" One of them has built-in USB. Exactly
which one are you asking about?

Thus far every microphone

What microphone(s) would that be?

I have plugged into the Behringer

Assuming you mean the 1204 and not the UCA202?

gives, insufficient signal.

How are you measuring "insufficient signal"?
In the recorded computer file?
At the computer recording application input?
At the mixer LED level meter?

With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

What does "enough sound" mean?
Are you using mics that require phantom power?
Is the phantom power turned on?
Do you have the microphones plugged into the XLR inputs?
Where do you have the gain knobs set?
Does the mixer, etc. produce "enough sound" with
any other input?

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go
to four if that would be better.

What would the fourth mic be used for?
Typically, fewer mics are better. For any
number of reasons.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message

Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence
recording some meetings. The meetings will consist of
singing accompanied by piano followed by a talk. The
recording device will be a Del Latitude fed from a
Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the
Behringer gives, insufficient signal. With the faders at
max I seem to barely have enough sound.

Have you adjusted the "trim" control for each microphone input to maximum?

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go
to four if that would be better.

Do the microphones need phantom power? Is it turned on? If in doubt, turn it
on.

Are the channel mute buttons off (not pushed in)?

How are you monitoring the output of the mixer?

Usually, I set up a mixer like this so that it is giving a reasonble output
to a pair of headphones, and then start recording.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Geoff Geoff is offline

Adrian wrote:
Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk.

Strange sort of meeting ..... ;-)

The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

Are you plugging the mic into a Mic Input, as opposed to a Line Input ? What
sort of mics ?
What sortof cables (hopefully proper XLR mics/cables).

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go to four if
that would be better.

You are "thinking of three mics" ? You didn't already have mics ? That's
possibly why there wasn't much level !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Adrian wrote:

Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk. The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

You're plugging the mic into the jack socket aren't you ?

You must use the XLR. The jack is for LINE level signals like a CD
player output.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article
,
Adrian wrote:
Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk. The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

Sounds like you're using the wrong sort of mic for the mixer - or the
mixer is setup wrongly for the mics. Most recent mics conform to the DIN
standard output level wise - provided they are connected to an appropriate
input. Most mixers worth calling that will be designed for low impedance
balanced mics.

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go to four if
that would be better.

It should be possible to record the music side with just one mic - or pair
if stereo is wanted. But you'd have to experiment with mic placement. As
of course you would too if miking the vocal and piano separately. However,
in general, pianos sound better not miked too close.

As regards the mics themselves I'd go for phantom powered cardiod
condenser types. Personally I'd try for secondhand decent makes like AKG,
Neumann, Sennheiser, Calrec etc - although there are many not bad budget
new ones from China and Russia.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Adrian"

Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk. The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go to four if
that would be better.

** How far are the mics from the sound sources ??

Please give answer in inches, feet or miles.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:

"Adrian"

Your advice would be appreciated: I plan to commence recording some
meetings. The meetings will consist of singing accompanied by piano
followed by a talk. The recording device will be a Del Latitude fed
from a Behringer 1204 thru a UCA202.

Thus far every microphone I have plugged into the Behringer gives,
insufficient signal. With the faders at max I seem to barely have
enough sound.

At this point I am thinking of three mic.'s I could go to four if
that would be better.

** How far are the mics from the sound sources ??

Please give answer in inches, feet or miles.

If he knew the accurate answer to that he'd hardly be asking advice about
recording an event...

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Dave Plowman Nutcase ****ing LIAR "

(snip insane ****)

** You are one EVIL pile of sub-human garbage - Plowman,

But just another pommy ****.

One of millions.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
"Dave Plowman Nutcase ****ing LIAR "

(snip insane ****)

** You are one EVIL pile of sub-human garbage - Plowman,

But just another pommy ****.

One of millions.

Do you have this on a shortcut?

Would your mommy like you using such language?

Or your father?

Did you have a father?

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
Do the microphones need phantom power? Is it turned on? If in doubt, turn it
on.

Watch out! Some phantom power mics blow up Behringer mixers.

In particular the Rode NTG-2. If you turn on phantom power the phantom
power permanently is destroyed in the mixer.

Fortunately the mic also takes an AA cell, so it's not a complete loss.

Who's responsible for that engineering disaster, I don't know. Behringer
or Rode.

That said, the mic works fine in the remaining mixer with the AA cell.

You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do seem to be
really quiet so you can do that.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:05:47 -0500, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Watch out! Some phantom power mics blow up Behringer mixers.

In particular the Rode NTG-2. If you turn on phantom power the phantom
power permanently is destroyed in the mixer.

Where on earth did you pick up that little urban legend? You can dead
short a behringer preamp without damage - as you probably can any pre.
They are current-limited by a pair of 6.2k resistors, so it would take
some extraordinary feat of engineering incompetence to make them
susceptible.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

wrote:

Watch out! Some phantom power mics blow up Behringer mixers.

In particular the Rode NTG-2. If you turn on phantom power the phantom
power permanently is destroyed in the mixer.

Where on earth did you pick up that little urban legend? You can dead
short a behringer preamp without damage - as you probably can any pre.
They are current-limited by a pair of 6.2k resistors, so it would take
some extraordinary feat of engineering incompetence to make them
susceptible.

I just report. It destroyed two mixers, MX802A's. The mic didn't
work on phantom power, and the phantom power light no longer came on
when you flipped it on afterwards.

``destroyed'' means only that phantom power no longer works.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
Do the microphones need phantom power? Is it turned on? If in doubt,
turn it on.

Watch out! Some phantom power mics blow up Behringer mixers.

In particular the Rode NTG-2. If you turn on phantom power the phantom
power permanently is destroyed in the mixer.

The specification for phantom allows you to short out an input completely
without effecting others. There are current limiting resistors supplying
the volts to each input. Anything else would be a nonsense.

Fortunately the mic also takes an AA cell, so it's not a complete loss.

Who's responsible for that engineering disaster, I don't know. Behringer
or Rode.

More likely finger problems.

That said, the mic works fine in the remaining mixer with the AA cell.

You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Ron Hardin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

I can't think of a single case where this would be necessary, still less
advisable. You would certainly end up with a poor S/N ratio.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Do the microphones need phantom power? Is it turned on?
If in doubt, turn it on.

Watch out! Some phantom power mics blow up Behringer
mixers.

Exceedingly unlikely.

In particular the Rode NTG-2. If you turn on phantom
power the phantom power permanently is destroyed in the mixer.

Exceedingly unlikely.

I do believe that it is possible that someone, one time, plugged a NTG-2
into a Behringer mixer and coincidentally, the phantom power supply in that
mixer went out.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Ron Hardin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

You 'can' do that, but unless there is something wrong with either the
mixer or the mic, there is not a reason in the world that one mixer
wouldn't be enough.

If there's not enough gain, then something's wrong and needs to be
fixed. (That 'something' might lie somewhere between the ears of the
operator.)

Period.

jak
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They
do seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

I don't think I've ever come across a mixer with phantom power - and using
a phantom powered mic - which has run out of gain.

Sounds like you've had a few nasties you've not sorted.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

"Ron Hardin" wrote ...
I just report. It destroyed two mixers, MX802A's. The mic
didn't work on phantom power, and the phantom power
light no longer came on when you flipped it on afterwards.

That story is just not credible without a first-hand reference.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

What were you doing with it?

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
You can of course get even more gain by adding another mixer. They do
seem to be really quiet so you can do that.

Eh?

Feed one mixer into the other. They have gain.

The noise level is low enough so that you can do that.

What were you doing with it?

Backyard bird microphone, balanced feed to Behringer UB1204, thence
to a Behringer MX802A in the other room, back through the first
UB1204 again and thence to a FM transmitter.

The noise level at the first mixer is what matters.

(Lots of radio gear in the other room, lots of computer gear in
this room, and a cow-path audio topology developed over the years between
them.)

B&O info sought Ann Tech 3 May 16th 07 01:54 AM
NAD L70 opinions sought Cordovero Audio Opinions 0 August 9th 05 07:34 AM
Advice sought Jon Yaeger Vacuum Tubes 14 January 24th 05 11:53 AM
Advice sought. Patrick L. Pro Audio 3 September 14th 04 09:33 PM