Posted to rec.audio.misc
RF[_2_] RF[_2_] is offline

Default Problem recording audio from tape/amplifier units

Hi Experts,

I have a Fisher audio tape unit connected to a Sony tuner/amplifier,
which is also connected to speakers and I want to copy the tapes to a
computer. I have an RCA cable connecting the Rec Out on the amplifier to
the computer.

If I select Tuner on the Sony, the radio output goes both to the
speakers and to the computer.

If I select Tape on the Sony the sound goes to the speakers but not to
the computer.

Do I have to connect the speaker ouputs to the computer?

TIA

RF

Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:00:16 GMT, RF wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have a Fisher audio tape unit connected to a Sony tuner/amplifier,
which is also connected to speakers and I want to copy the tapes to a
computer. I have an RCA cable connecting the Rec Out on the amplifier to
the computer.

If I select Tuner on the Sony, the radio output goes both to the
speakers and to the computer.

If I select Tape on the Sony the sound goes to the speakers but not to
the computer.

Do I have to connect the speaker ouputs to the computer?

If your tuner hasn't *two* tape loops, then it can't do tape to tape (or
tape to computer) copying.

Do you need to make tapes? If not, run the tape deck's output to an input
on the tuner such as an AUX input, and leave the tape deck's input
unconnected.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
RF[_2_] RF[_2_] is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Thank you AZN.

I am trying to record FROM the tapes to the computer. There is no
problem at all
recording To tapes.

RF

Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:49:24 GMT, RF wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

To use the tape deck into an AUX input, you'll lose the ability to record
tapes. You'll have to disconnect the tape deck's input if you don't want
feedback every time the selector switch is on AUX.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Stephen Hendry Stephen Hendry is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:00:16 GMT, RF wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have a Fisher audio tape unit connected to a Sony tuner/amplifier,
which is also connected to speakers and I want to copy the tapes to a
computer. I have an RCA cable connecting the Rec Out on the amplifier to
the computer.

If I select Tuner on the Sony, the radio output goes both to the
speakers and to the computer.

If I select Tape on the Sony the sound goes to the speakers but not to
the computer.

Do I have to connect the speaker ouputs to the computer?

DO NOT DO THAT!!! You could damage your PC's soundcard.

If your tuner hasn't *two* tape loops, then it can't do tape to tape (or
tape to computer) copying.

Do you need to make tapes? If not, run the tape deck's output to an input
on the tuner such as an AUX input, and leave the tape deck's input
unconnected.

Thank you AZN.

I am trying to record FROM the tapes to the computer. There is no
problem at all
recording To tapes.

Set your system up as normal. Run a cable ( most likely a Stereo Phono
to mini jack cable ) from an Aux (line level) output on your Amp into
the Line input (not mic) of your PC's soundcard. Make sure the Line
input is selected in the Windows mixer. Use Windows Media Player or
some other audio recording program to record it and save it as MP3,
WMA, WAV etc You will still hear the tape output playing through your
HIFI speakers as you are recording but you will need speakers on your
PC to monitor the sound once the music is on your PC. You can then use
a program like Steinberg Clean to get rid of the hiss and noise that
tapes generally have.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

There no such thing. Aux is always an input. Have you actually seen one or
are you talking out of your ass?

Do you mean pre-amp out? The OP's setup probably doesn't have one.
Do mean tape monitor out? That won't let you record off the tape to prevent
feedback. Only way it can work is if there are two tape loops.

the Line input (not mic) of your PC's soundcard. Make sure the Line
input is selected in the Windows mixer. Use Windows Media Player or

irrelevent. He can record with his PC. Just not off the tape deck.

remaining irrelevence snipped
Posted to rec.audio.misc
RF[_2_] RF[_2_] is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:00:16 GMT, RF wrote:
Hi Experts,
I have a Fisher audio tape unit connected to a Sony tuner/amplifier,
which is also connected to speakers and I want to copy the tapes to a
computer. I have an RCA cable connecting the Rec Out on the amplifier to
the computer.
If I select Tuner on the Sony, the radio output goes both to the
speakers and to the computer.
If I select Tape on the Sony the sound goes to the speakers but not to
the computer.
Do I have to connect the speaker ouputs to the computer?

DO NOT DO THAT!!! You could damage your PC's soundcard.

That possibility deterred me.

If your tuner hasn't *two* tape loops, then it can't do tape to tape (or
tape to computer) copying.

Do you need to make tapes? If not, run the tape deck's output to an input
on the tuner such as an AUX input, and leave the tape deck's input
unconnected.
Thank you AZN.
I am trying to record FROM the tapes to the computer. There is no
problem at all
recording To tapes.

Thank you Stephen.

At the rear of the Sony there are 3 blocks each with 2 pairs of RCA
connectors.

The first block is called Tape - one pair is marked Tape, to which I
have my tape unit connected,
and the other is marked Rec Out, which is what I have connected to my
computer

The second block is called Video - marked Video in and Video out - not
relevant here.

The third block is called INPUT and has Phono on one pair and CD/Aux on
the second.

So there is no OUTPUT Aux.

Set your system up as normal. Run a cable ( most likely a Stereo Phono
to mini jack cable ) from an Aux (line level) output on your Amp into
the Line input (not mic) of your PC's soundcard. Make sure the Line
input is selected in the Windows mixer.

Line input is selected, otherwise I would not be able to record from the
tuner.

Use Windows Media Player or
some other audio recording program to record it and save it as MP3,
WMA, WAV etc

I use Total Recorder.

You will still hear the tape output playing through your
HIFI speakers as you are recording but you will need speakers on your
PC to monitor the sound once the music is on your PC.

My monitor does have speakers.

You can then use
a program like Steinberg Clean to get rid of the hiss and noise that
tapes generally have.

I have been using Audacity and am happy with it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

RF
Posted to rec.audio.misc
RF[_2_] RF[_2_] is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

What exactly are tape loops? I do have Stereo Double Cassette Deck. However,
one has some mechanical problem. There are Input and Output RCA
connectors on the
unit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:47:36 GMT, RF wrote:

What exactly are tape loops? I do have Stereo Double Cassette Deck. However,
one has some mechanical problem. There are Input and Output RCA
connectors on the
unit.

A tape loop is a loop out to a tape deck and back to your receiver.
The input selector picks from your available inputs such as
radio, aux, CD (but not your tape deck).
From there the selection is sent out on the RECORD OUT so that a tape
deck can record it.
The TAPE MON (monitor) lets you listen to the output of the tape instead
of the input selection. The idea was from the days of three head
tape recorders (erase, record, playback heads) where the input selection
was sent to the record head, and you could listen to what the playback
head was picking up as you recorded so you could tell the quality of the
recording.

The problem it is designed so that the tape deck never receives
it's output. If it did, you've have feedback.

You have two solutions:

1) Put a Y-connector on the tape deck's output and send that to your
computer. The problem is that to have the PC record anything other than
the tape deck, the tape deck will have to pass it's input signal (off the
RECORD OUT of the receiver) through. You'll probably only get a signal when
the record level knobs are turned up as if you were going to make a tape.
It might not work at all unless you have the deck set to record. (rec/play
buttons down, deck paused)

2) Lose the ability to make tapes. Have the RECORD OUT go to the computer,
and have the TAPE's output to into an AUX input. Select AUX when you want
to listen to a tape, or record a tape to the PC.
Posted to rec.audio.misc
RF[_2_] RF[_2_] is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:47:36 GMT, RF wrote:

What exactly are tape loops? I do have Stereo Double Cassette Deck. However,
one has some mechanical problem. There are Input and Output RCA
connectors on the
unit.

A tape loop is a loop out to a tape deck and back to your receiver.
The input selector picks from your available inputs such as
radio, aux, CD (but not your tape deck).
From there the selection is sent out on the RECORD OUT so that a tape
[...]

Thank you very much AZN.

I was distracted by other things in the past month and I
just found your last
contribution (just above).

It is excellent and I used your #2 to record directly to the
computer.

Thanks again. That was a huge help.

RF