Donstaff Donstaff is offline
Junior Member

Default Dual 1219 Shell connection

I'm troubleshooting a Dual 1219 with a Stanton 681 EEE Calibration Standard cartridge. Lastmtime I used it a few months ago, it seemed fine. Now, the sound is stereo, but tinny, thin and lacking low end. Cleaning contacts and re-seating cartridge in its shell changed nothing. I cannot see how the contact is made between the four pins on the mounting shell and the tone arm. Can anyone help?
Posted to rec.audio.misc
No Name

That doesn't sound like a mechanical problem.
Sounds like the phono EQ isn't doing its job.
If you have another amp, try it there. It
would at least rule one or the other out.

D- [Wed, 6 Feb 2008 02:23:36 +0000]:
fine. Now, the sound is stereo, but tinny, thin and lacking low end.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com - Advanced PPC audio player
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Donstaff wrote:
I'm troubleshooting a Dual 1219 with a Stanton 681 EEE Calibration
Standard cartridge. Lastmtime I used it a few months ago, it seemed
fine. Now, the sound is stereo, but tinny, thin and lacking low end.
Cleaning contacts and re-seating cartridge in its shell changed
nothing. I cannot see how the contact is made between the four pins on
the mounting shell and the tone arm. Can anyone help?

Hello,

First, make sure that you have the turntable connected to a phono
input, as the cartridge needs proper EQ and gain. The RCA cables that
Dual provided are always suspect, though they are more likely to cause
hum issues than anything else. If you are unsure, replace them.

The 4 pins on the head shell contact something like a circuit board at
the back of the arm shell. Clean them with alcohol, Don't use abrasives
on it. The crimp connections on the head shell wires themselves can be
trouble too, and they are no fun to resolder.

The Stanton cartridges rarely fail, but make sure the stylus is clean,
and fully inserted into the cartridge body.

Best of Luck,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Donstaff Donstaff is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schwartz View Post
Donstaff wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I have good L/R channel balance and signal continuity throughout the chain. Before I try another amp, to what degree do you feel that the connection quality at the 4 pins on the head shell, the RCA cable connections at the turntable and the preamp, or the cable itself could affect the low end of the frequency spectrum?
Posted to rec.audio.misc

Donstaff wrote:

-

[...]

Not that great a chance. Did you conform that the amp/preamp/receiver
you are using has a phono input? Are you using it with the same one
that you used several months ago?

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics