Posted to rec.audio.misc
[email protected] rob.rudin@gmail.com is offline

Default Recording Audio on VCRs

I use my Sharp VC-H976 VCR to record audio from radio. There's an AV
input right on the front and I can use the timer. I connect two RCA
chords from my stereo receiver to the AV input and leave the video
input empty. It works great, so I decided to buy a second VCR, daisy
chain them, and use this rig to record music marathons (more than 8
hours). I found a SONY SLV-675HF at Salvation Army for $15-it plays
tapes and has Hi-Fi circuitry. Trouble is, it won't record from my
stereo: I tried it and got a completely blank tape.

I know from experience some VCRs won't play VHS without video. I found
this out when I recorded a CD onto my VCR and tried to play it on
another machine: It played back on my machine but not the other one.

My question is: Do certain brands not record audio only? If so, which
should I try and which should I avoid? Or is this a generational
problem, i.e., will most (all) VCRs not work this way if manufactured
after a certain date?

I hope this is an appropriate question for this group. Thanks in
advance!

Balanced audio input on an audio recording interface [email protected] Pro Audio 15 September 7th 07 02:46 AM
Recording Audio Via USB or RCA? [email protected] Pro Audio 11 September 23rd 06 09:59 PM
Audio fidelity of VCRs Geluso General 10 June 14th 06 09:44 PM
Why Low Recording Levels - M-Audio 5.1 Card - Audio Technica Mic [email protected] Pro Audio 6 March 5th 06 04:04 PM
Do any VCRs have SPD or optical output? [email protected] Tech 6 June 2nd 05 09:14 PM