Posted to rec.audio.misc
[email protected] federalwelfare@gmail.com is offline

Default Windows Sound Recorder - can't record audio clips

I have a small problem with Windows Sound Recorder. I used to be able
to make clips from the Windows Sound Recorder from playing a song in
an MP3 Player, but I've recently bought a new computer and can no
longer do that. There used to be an option in the windows audio mixer
called "what you hear", which is what I had selected previously.
However, now I only have three options: microphone, line-in and rear-
mic. I have tried selecting each of these and could not record a sound
with any of them. Is there anything else I can do? Download other
sound card drivers, perhaps? Attached are some pictures of my mixer.
Thanks in advance!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8839/35758942gz0.jpg
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

wrote in message
I have a small problem with Windows Sound Recorder. I used to be able
to make clips from the Windows Sound Recorder from playing a song in
an MP3 Player, but I've recently bought a new computer and can no
longer do that. There used to be an option in the windows audio mixer
called "what you hear", which is what I had selected previously.
However, now I only have three options: microphone, line-in and rear-
mic. I have tried selecting each of these and could not record a sound
with any of them. Is there anything else I can do? Download other
sound card drivers, perhaps? Attached are some pictures of my mixer.
Thanks in advance!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8839/35758942gz0.jpg

Your card has to be capable of full duplex (recording and playing back simultaneously) to be
able to do this. Try recording something (use any external input, mic or line), while your
mp3 player runs.

The "What you hear" fader was in the recording side of the sound card mixer, and allowed you
to mix to the recording side what's coming out of the playback side. I don't think all
sound cards have that. Be sure you're looking in the recording side. I don't recall
exactly how you change it from play to record side, but it was under the first item in the
menu bar, as I recall. You can likely get a patch cord to route the playback output (green)
jack to the line in input of the recording side.

If your objective is to make a .wav file from an .mp3 file, you could use the free Audacity
program. You probably know this, but the resulting .wav file won't have any better sound
quality than the original .mp3 did.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud