Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jerome Jerome is offline

Default playing DVD audio without video

A non-audiophile friend has wondered why music DVDs (of concerts) can't be
played without turning on his TV to navigate the DVD menu. A few of the
concert disks he has include a CD of the same audio as the DVD, and this
seems to be a waste. And, I can't answer that so I thought I'd ask here.

Why can't the audio portion of a DVD be played like a CD can? Did the DVD
format/standard not anticipate the use of DVDs as an audio medium?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:47:16 GMT, Jerome wrote:

Why can't the audio portion of a DVD be played like a CD can? Did the DVD
format/standard not anticipate the use of DVDs as an audio medium?

What the format/standard did not anticipate (or acknowledge) is the
use of DVDs as an audio medium without a video monitor. I bought a
5" LCD monitor for use with DVD-A and other menu needs.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.misc
DaveW[_4_] DaveW[_4_] is offline

"DVD-Audio" disks CAN be played with audio only on. Standard DVD disks,
such as movie disks, have the video and audio mixed in the signal stream and
so must both be decoded to get the audio.

--
--DaveW
"Jerome" wrote in message

A non-audiophile friend has wondered why music DVDs (of concerts) can't be
played without turning on his TV to navigate the DVD menu. A few of the
concert disks he has include a CD of the same audio as the DVD, and this
seems to be a waste. And, I can't answer that so I thought I'd ask here.

Why can't the audio portion of a DVD be played like a CD can? Did the DVD
format/standard not anticipate the use of DVDs as an audio medium?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:32:51 -0800, "DaveW"
wrote:

"DVD-Audio" disks CAN be played with audio only on. Standard DVD disks,
such as movie disks, have the video and audio mixed in the signal stream and
so must both be decoded to get the audio.

Sure. Both types CAN be played without viewing the video but the
issue is navigation without a video display.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.misc
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:32:51 -0800, DaveW wrote:

"DVD-Audio" disks CAN be played with audio only on. Standard DVD disks,
such as movie disks, have the video and audio mixed in the signal stream and
so must both be decoded to get the audio.

On most dvds, you can start it just by hitting 'play'. Some movies have
obnoxious advertisements before the main feature, but very few concerts do.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:38:57 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:32:51 -0800, DaveW wrote:

"DVD-Audio" disks CAN be played with audio only on. Standard DVD disks,
such as movie disks, have the video and audio mixed in the signal stream and
so must both be decoded to get the audio.

On most dvds, you can start it just by hitting 'play'. Some movies have
obnoxious advertisements before the main feature, but very few concerts do.

Right. Same for DVD-A except that one often needs to select the audio
format and, perhaps, one or another track. Difficult without a
display.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:47:16 GMT, Jerome wrote:

Why can't the audio portion of a DVD be played like a CD can? Did the DVD
format/standard not anticipate the use of DVDs as an audio medium?

What the format/standard did not anticipate (or acknowledge) is the
use of DVDs as an audio medium without a video monitor.

Blame the marketing morons for that.

I dare say they got paid handsomely too. Society today tends to reward idiots
far better than geniuses. Maybe it was always that way ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:47:16 GMT, Jerome wrote:

Why can't the audio portion of a DVD be played like a CD can? Did the DVD
format/standard not anticipate the use of DVDs as an audio medium?

What the format/standard did not anticipate (or acknowledge) is the
use of DVDs as an audio medium without a video monitor.

Blame the marketing morons for that.

I dare say they got paid handsomely too. Society today tends to reward idiots
far better than geniuses. Maybe it was always that way ?

Make something idiot-proof, and the universe will always come up with a
better idiot.

Or to coin some related phrases:

"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity." -- Voltaire

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
-- Harlan Ellison

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a
longer shelf life." -- Frank Zappa

"There are more fools in the world than there are people." -- Heinrich Heine

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -- Robert Heinlein

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Goldsmiths wrote:
"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
Kalman Rubinson wrote:

[...]

"Consider how stupid the average person is, then consider that half the
people on the planet are even stupider." -- Me

I'll add that one to the list
Posted to rec.audio.misc
xxxxxx xxxxxx is offline

have you tried stripping the audio out of the DVD
and making a CD of it?
there are several programs to do this
both video programs and other.
i use dvd audio extractor
I also have dvd audio ripper which seems to crash a lot

you can also do this with DVD decrypter using stream output
and virtualdubmon