Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] danglissonfhk@gmail.com is offline

Default Fuzz Guitar Sounds / Music Machine

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 3:08:05 PM UTC-5, nmm wrote:
Anyone out there know how "The Music Machine" that band from the 60's got
their Fuzz Guitar sounds ?

Is that a Vox Tone bender, or Dallas Arbiritor Fuzz face?

Someone told me that these guys used to build their own pedals.

Also it sounds like direct input, not like a amp being miked. This stuff
was recorded from '66 to 69, in California ( LA?)
So if they put the guitars direct into the board, with a Transistor Fuzz,
would that be a tube board of some sort?

The engineer credited was Paul Buff, anyone know any details about him ,
other work, or methods?

thanks

To my knowledge, some of the fuzz tones were made by fuzz wahs, or volume pedals in conjunction with tuning down, to get a grittier sound. I've tried dozens of boxes and none come closer than the morely fuzz wah, but I'm no expert.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/01/2018 19:21, geoff wrote:
I think the OP, UTC-5, died of old age about 15 years ago dude.

But will live on in the archive as long as their name is remembered. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 3:08:05 PM UTC-5, nmm wrote:

I think the OP, UTC-5, died of old age about 15 years ago dude.

geoff

Yeah, good ol' Coordinated Universal Time with her quirky five hour
offset.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/01/2018 19:46, Tobiah wrote:

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002 at 3:08:05 PM UTC-5, nmm wrote:

I think the OP, UTC-5, died of old age about 15 years ago dude.

geoff

Yeah, good ol' Coordinated Universal Time with her quirky five hour
offset.

The OP's nym was actually nmm.

Cursory research shows that the tracks were mainly recorded in the RCA
Victor studios in an unmentioned location, so, yes, a valve desk and
recording chain, though the relevance of that is only that it was the
best that could be done with the technology available.

Effects were whatever the band wanted to cobble together, and would feed
either a mic'd up amp or the board direct via a splitter using what is
even now a standard 600 ohm balanced input, though a couple of tracks
I've just auditioned on the laptop don't sound that drastically
distorted. This was in the days when you added echo by putting a speaker
and a microphone in a large, empty, fairly soundproof room with hard
walls... Or you used a steel plate if realism wasn't wanted.

They had a re-issue in the 1980s, and there was a book in 2000, which
may be what gave rise to the OP.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.