Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Retail/Business Music Systems with FM-tie-in

How does this work?

In our store's case we have a telephony amp(for paging)
with an Aux connection accomodating the music service
- a small black receiver about the size of a Betamax
video tape. That unit is IP-fed from our corporate office,
combining music with announcements every 3-4 songs
about discounts, etc.

So how does the FM part figure in to systems like this -
buffer the songs heard on a regular commercial station
for playback in the stores?

I would have posted this in rec.audio.tech but that group
sees less activity than it would six feet under.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 6:59:50 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 13/01/2018 7:03 AM,m wrote:
How does this work?

In our store's case we have a telephony amp(for paging)
with an Aux connection accomodating the music service
- a small black receiver about the size of a Betamax
video tape. That unit is IP-fed from our corporate office,
combining music with announcements every 3-4 songs
about discounts, etc.

So how does the FM part figure in to systems like this -
buffer the songs heard on a regular commercial station
for playback in the stores?

I would have posted this in rec.audio.tech but that group
sees less activity than it would six feet under.

WTF has FM got to do with it ?

______
Calmate por favor! lol. No need for WTF. I both read on-line, and heard it from the IT guys who come to our workplace, that the music feed system incorporates FM. Beyond that, no details. Just thought someone on here might know.

Presumably HO are forwarding a stream from some internet streaming
service or radio station.

Or maybe sending songs, between announcements, from their own playlist
on Spotify or something similar.

geoff

__________

"HO"?

What you're suggesting seems to make sense.
The only thing I'm curious about are the
specifics of how it works.

From 2015 to present our song list has
gone from at least 50 songs down to 15.
I hear things like Sam Smith's "Not Good At
Goodbyes" and a Shawn Mendes song I can't
think of the title at least four times per
shift!

Stuff I do hear radio stations in our
area playing.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/01/2018 16:25, wrote:
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 6:59:50 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 13/01/2018 7:03 AM,m wrote:
How does this work?

Presumably HO are forwarding a stream from some internet streaming
service or radio station.

Or maybe sending songs, between announcements, from their own playlist
on Spotify or something similar.

They may even have uploaded the announcements to Spotify, though setting
up their own dedicated server is trivial and cheap to do.

geoff

__________

"HO"?

Head Office.

What you're suggesting seems to make sense.
The only thing I'm curious about are the
specifics of how it works.

There are any ways to do the job.

From 2015 to present our song list has
gone from at least 50 songs down to 15.
I hear things like Sam Smith's "Not Good At
Goodbyes" and a Shawn Mendes song I can't
think of the title at least four times per
shift!

Stuff I do hear radio stations in our
area playing.

The playlist for these systems is set by head office, in a similar
manner to the old Rediffusion tape systems, where the tape cartridge was
made in their studio and sent out to the shops. If you have a query
about why their content now matches local radio stations and is
restricted in numbers, speak to the appropriate department.

As for the connection to FM, it may be that they get their material or
take their playlist suggestions from the local FM station servers, so
giving a different playlist in each area.

Similar systems in the UK, used by major store chains with hundreds of
branches have a dedicated channel on a satellite transmitter and a
locked receiver. One other way to do it would be to save data
transmission by using a network connected music player such as a cheap
headless PC running Windows Media Player, and buffer the data locally,
playing out as required.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson:

Thans for the more detailed explanation.

I know for a fact our district uses this
service:

http://www.myinstoreradio.com

You can see the receiver itself in the
upper-left-hand corner of the home
page. We have one like it on top of
the amp that mixes telephony and the
music from the receiver.

If you browse the site you'll
probably pick up that it is aimed
squarely at retail clients/management,
as there is ZERO technical jargon
or explanation as to how the system
actually works.

Research on line has revealed
nothing concerning the make, model,
or mfg of that little black box.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/01/2018 16:55, wrote:
http://www.myinstoreradio.com

Research on line has revealed
nothing concerning the make, model,
or mfg of that little black box.

It's an IP streaming service based in Denmark, and the receiver looks to
be wifi connected to the shop system. There may be an ethernet option if
the shop has no wifi installed. If you want hundreds, you design one by
plugging together a few modules and code segments, send the spec with
the money to China and wait for the container to arrive.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "It's an IP streaming service based in Denmark, and the
receiver looks to be wifi connected to the shop system. There may be an ethernet option"

Correct - in our application it is hardwired
ethernet. The store does have wi-fi, but mainly
for the wireless store phones management
carries in their pokets, answer calls, and make
pages over the PA from. Just wish they could
do something about the style & variety of tunes
it plays! Fifteen songs shuffled with announcements
every two songs, some stuff I would not
consider suitable for retail outside of a FYE
or other store selling physical movie and
music media.

So based upon where we are, there are
two radio stations, an adult-contempo and
a CHR(contempo hits radio) station from
which HQ buffers songs, then pushes them
out to all dozen stores in our district, inter-
mixed with announcements about discounts,
etc.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "What may have happened is that the person in charge of the playlist has
looked at the most requested (or played) songs from your local stations
and used those, as they are, presumably, the most popular songs in your
area, so will tempt the customers to spend more time and money in the
store. Staff preferences do not enter the equation. "

Yes, the service I linked to - the one we
apparently use, does provide the option to
tailor the playlist to suit business needs.

I did breach it to our district mgr. last year, and I
asked her if there is someone at headquarters who
makes changes periodically to what songs are
played . She replied, "It's an outside service we
pay for; we don't control the content, except the
PSAs."

From what I'm hearing, it seems whomever
created this playlist assumed the average ages
of staff and customer are 18! Drake? 'Hotline Bling'?
Bieber? 'Sorry'? Rihanna 'Umbrella'?? Don't misread
me John, I actually do like some of what I hear in the
recent Top 40 and Billboards. But: I have a strong
sense of what's appropriate - and not - in a family/general
store environment, possibly honed by my prior retail
experience thirty years ago at places like Woolworth
(USA) and A&P during college. 'Elevator' muzak not
withstanding.

And where I work, I do see a lot of grey hair and
wrinkles - on both sides of the checkout counter,
and I know most of them would probably prefer
Diana Ross, Billy Joel, and America to my
aforementioned examples above. !