Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Default Radar 24 Problem

All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/7/2017 6:46 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:
All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

Clock gone haywire? Maybe accidentally switched to the wrong word clock
source?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:46:03 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

If you have a scope, you can check and see where the oscillation is. Don't forget to look st the supply rails.

By the way, what frequency is the oscillation?

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Rick Ruskin wrote:
All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

When 24 seemingly independent channels all have the same problem, look at
the power supply. First check rail voltages.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 19:15:31 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 3/7/2017 6:46 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:
All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

Clock gone haywire? Maybe accidentally switched to the wrong word clock
source?

Definitely not that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:28:46 -0800 (PST), PStamler
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:46:03 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
All was working fine and then the output went close to zilch in level
with distortion on all channels. This is with pre-recorded and
incoming signals. The analog input meters also show an oscillation
from somewhere. ADAT input meters show incoming do not show the
oscillation. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

If you have a scope, you can check and see where the oscillation is. Don't forget to look st the supply rails.

By the way, what frequency is the oscillation?

Peace,
Paul

I had a scope but it died last week. As did my MX2424 before that.
Now the RADAR has gone dowm. I hope it is as simple as the power
supply. Getting it checked out on a friend's bench later this week.

Good thing I still have a working HD24.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin wrote:

I had a scope but it died last week. As did my MX2424 before that.

Fix the scope first.

Now the RADAR has gone dowm. I hope it is as simple as the power
supply. Getting it checked out on a friend's bench later this week.

Well, the bad news is that the power supply on th RADAR isn't exactly
simple....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

I had a scope but it died last week. As did my MX2424 before that.
Now the RADAR has gone dowm.

That's a lot of equipment mortality. Can you borrow a recording line-voltage monitor?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/8/2017 8:56 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Well, the bad news is that the power supply on th RADAR isn't exactly
simple....

As I recall, it's got switchers with filtering and linear regulation all
together to keep the weight and noise down at the same time. It's not
horrible like an ATX supply, but I remember it as not being straightforward.

Yeah, but you can buy a replacement ATX supply for $20 or so. I've never
seen inside a RADAR so I don't know what voltages and type of connectors
it uses. It could be easy to replace, or require an expensive original
part (if IZ even still has any).

But before worrying about what the power supply actually is, it should
be determined first that it's actually the problem. It could be just a
pesky electrolytic capacitor on a board somewhere, maybe even one that's
knocking the clock out of kilter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:42:39 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR

Shorted bypass capacitor? And did you find what was oscillating?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:29:07 -0800 (PST), PStamler
wrote:

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:42:39 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR

Shorted bypass capacitor? And did you find what was oscillating?

Peace,
Paul

Don't know yet. I just got the info as to how to remove the cards.
There is quite a bit in the way and the path to removing that stuff
requires a roadmap. Going to tackle it tomorrow.

RR

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:42:39 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR

Shorted bypass capacitor? And did you find what was oscillating?

Peace,
Paul

Don't know yet. I just got the info as to how to remove the cards.
There is quite a bit in the way and the path to removing that stuff
requires a roadmap. Going to tackle it tomorrow.

RR

Good hunting.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

wrote:

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:42:39 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR
Shorted bypass capacitor? And did you find what was oscillating?

Peace,
Paul

Don't know yet. I just got the info as to how to remove the cards.
There is quite a bit in the way and the path to removing that stuff
requires a roadmap. Going to tackle it tomorrow.

RR

Good hunting.

The analog i/o card for channels 9-16 went south. Burn marks next to
U5 IC. Buttoned it up with the remaining 16 channels but some other
problems arouse. IZ support recommended going back in and reseating
everything and resetting the CMOS. Will deal with this over the
weekend. If I get it running, I'll send the bad card in for repair
and get back to full strength.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin wrote:
The analog i/o card for channels 9-16 went south. Burn marks next to
U5 IC.

Do these burn marks happen to occur in a place where a tantalum capacitor
used to be?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 6:42:39 PM UTC-6, Rick Ruskin wrote:
Here's what we discovered: The power supply measures fine at the
conncector but loses the +18 when mated to the board. The
assumption is that there is a failure on 1 or more of the analog cards
dragging the supply down. Hopefully we will find the culprit(s)
tomorrow.

RR

Shorted bypass capacitor? And did you find what was oscillating?

Peace,
Paul

Don't know yet. I just got the info as to how to remove the cards.
There is quite a bit in the way and the path to removing that stuff
requires a roadmap. Going to tackle it tomorrow.

RR

Hopefully it will be visually obvious which the component is that is
dragging the rail down. Else see if you can narrow it down by isolating
sections by halves - hopefully you can do that without cutting tracks.

If it is a bypass electrolytic (the most likely culprit) possibly worth
the effort of making a 'project' out of replacing all similar caps on
the power rails.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 13:17:14 +1300, geoff
wrote:

Snip

Hopefully it will be visually obvious which the component is that is
dragging the rail down. Else see if you can narrow it down by isolating
sections by halves - hopefully you can do that without cutting tracks.

If it is a bypass electrolytic (the most likely culprit) possibly worth
the effort of making a 'project' out of replacing all similar caps on
the power rails.

geoff

You must have missed this:

The analog i/o card for channels 9-16 went south. Burn marks next
to U5 IC. Buttoned it up with the remaining 16 channels but some
other problems arouse. IZ support recommended going back in and
reseating everything and resetting the CMOS. Will deal with this over
the weekend. If I get it running, I'll send the bad card in for
repair and get back to full strength.

RR

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/03/2017 6:34 a.m., Rick Ruskin wrote:
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 13:17:14 +1300, geoff wrote: Snip Hopefully it will

be visually obvious which the component is that is dragging the rail
down. Else see if you can narrow it down by isolating sections by
halves - hopefully you can do that without cutting tracks. If
it is a bypass electrolytic (the most likely culprit) possibly worth
the effort of making a 'project' out of replacing all similar caps on
the power rails. geoff You must have missed this: The
analog i/o card for channels 9-16 went south. Burn marks next to U5
IC. Buttoned it up with the remaining 16 channels but some other
problems arouse. IZ support recommended going back in and reseating
everything and resetting the CMOS. Will deal with this over the
weekend. If I get it running, I'll send the bad card in for repair
and get back to full strength. RR --- This email has been
checked for viruses by AVG. http://www.avg.com

Yeah - been away a week . Catching up.

g.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 4:46:47 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
[...]

A Ton of new post here, so I can understand!!

Jack

g.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/03/2017 4:26 PM, wrote:

Yeah - been away a week . Catching up.

A Ton of new post here, so I can understand!!

Jack

Very few new posts here. I can umderstand ;- (

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 01:55:34 +0000 (UTC), Rick Ruskin
wrote:

snip

The analog i/o card for channels 9-16 went south. Burn marks next to
U5 IC. Buttoned it up with the remaining 16 channels but some other
problems arouse. IZ support recommended going back in and reseating
everything and resetting the CMOS. Will deal with this over the
weekend. If I get it running, I'll send the bad card in for repair
and get back to full strength.

---

Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Remaining 16 channels are behaving
as designed.

RR

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/13/2017 5:04 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Remaining 16 channels are behaving
as designed.

That's pretty good news. After all, 16 tracks should be enough for
anybody.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rick Ruskin Rick Ruskin is offline

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 17:27:46 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 3/13/2017 5:04 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Remaining 16 channels are behaving
as designed.

That's pretty good news. After all, 16 tracks should be enough for
anybody.

Most of the time but not always.

RR

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On 3/13/2017 5:04 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Remaining 16 channels are behaving
as designed.

That's pretty good news. After all, 16 tracks should be enough for
anybody.

Most of the time but not always.

I don't see what you have to complain about. All 16 sound the same, you
don't have to put bass on track 1 because the gap is opening up...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news
On 3/13/2017 5:04 PM, Rick Ruskin wrote:

Resetting the CMOS did the trick. Remaining 16 channels are
behaving as designed.

That's pretty good news. After all, 16 tracks should be enough for
anybody.

I know you're used to sixteen or more. Sorry, we only have eight.

Help with Radar [email protected] Pro Audio 5 March 3rd 05 02:30 PM
Radar Beauchampy Pro Audio 6 November 29th 04 01:58 PM
New RADAR Bryson Pro Audio 10 November 10th 04 09:47 PM
Anybody still using a RADAR Colin Swan Pro Audio 6 July 2nd 04 12:24 AM
RADAR vs 2' ? ESL555 Pro Audio 26 September 2nd 03 06:59 PM