Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

Default Pro Tools Mastering Plug-in

Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 03/04/2011 8.24, adam79 ha scritto:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

what's a plugin for mastering? Digital Mastering is usullay done with a
couple of it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 03/04/2011 8.24, adam79 ha scritto:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

what's a plugin for mastering? Digital Mastering is usually done with a
couple of it.
I'm not a fan of those "magic boxes" with all in one like izotope...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

adam79 wrote:

Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

Thinking that a single plugin is what mastering is about is taking the
wrong road.

Why not read pro forum mastering discussions to get a clue?

Very many good mastering engineers use an analog signal chain for
mastering.

The most important tools for mastering as a properly treated listening
environment, an excellent monitoring system, and experienced ears.

In the digital realm every DAW app in the world offers the very tools
that one could use to learn about mastering. The first thing one must do
in order to apply those is get a clue about the process.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
adam79 wrote:

Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

Thinking that a single plugin is what mastering is about is taking the
wrong road.

Why not read pro forum mastering discussions to get a clue?

Very many good mastering engineers use an analog signal chain for
mastering.

The most important tools for mastering as a properly treated listening
environment, an excellent monitoring system, and experienced ears.

In the digital realm every DAW app in the world offers the very tools
that one could use to learn about mastering. The first thing one must do
in order to apply those is get a clue about the process.

And, once you've done that, all a "mastering plug in" does, is make it a
bit quicker, and a bit worse.

Most of them only apply a bit of compression and spot of "brightening",
as`far as I can tell.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ustad Khan Ali Ustad Khan Ali is offline

On Apr 3, 8:51*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

Thinking that a single plugin is what mastering is about is taking the
wrong road.

Why not read pro forum mastering discussions to get a clue?

Very many good mastering engineers use an analog signal chain for
mastering.

The most important tools for mastering as a properly treated listening
environment, an excellent monitoring system, and experienced ears.

In the digital realm every DAW app in the world offers the very tools
that one could use to learn about mastering. The first thing one must do
in order to apply those is get a clue about the process.

Hey Hank! Thought I'd poke my nose in here and see what you people
are up to.

To Adam, what Hank is describing is exactly right about it all. You
should pay
particular attention what he cites as the most important tools for
mastering.

Since a fair amount of the people who record at my studio are
neophytes, many
of them seem consider making something as loud as a pop or rock
commercial release to be
"mastering". Very sad, I know. So my guess is you think that a gain
optimization plugin (Waves L3 or whatever) is a "mastering plugin".
Again, very sad,
I know.

If this is what you are looking for, well, first of all, read Hank's
post again. If you simply
want something louder, well, I don't know what will do this for free,
but I know something
that will do it for cheap...and do it well. That'd be the Massey
L2007 limiter.

I would strongly recommend that, as with any gain optimization, you
don't get obsessed
with making things as loud as possible, but that you consider the
importance of musicality
and dynamics and ebbing and flowing.

Ken / Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios
www.blueberrybuddhda.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

wrote:
[...]

right, the OP asked (once again) how to find the magic box doing most of
the job.
This is never working on heart! Not only in mastering.

What he really need is:
- the room,
- the proper ear training,
- a proper set of monitors, well related to the room,
- a very good idea of what mastering is for;
- the expertise to figure out which kind of treatments are needed in
that particular song,
- gears.

All the first 5 points will help him to self find the answer to the
question "gear". Finding the right "gear" is part of the expertise
process obtained after many work hours. So i suggest to start to play
around with basic tools with the goal to grow in the ability to
recognize what is good and what is bad for the job.

PLease Adam remember: A premaster job is the result of the work and the
knowledge of the mastering engineer, not the benfits of magic boxes, and
can be good or bad just like all other human works.
A wrong work will sound bad or problematic even if the very top class
gears are used, while good works need almost no (of a very little) gears
to be done.

alex

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 03/04/2011 17.51, hank alrich ha scritto:
wrote:

[...]

This is never working on earth! Not only in mastering.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Yes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 3, 8:51=A0am, (hank alrich) wrote:
adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

"Those mixes came out sounding like crap. Can't remember why, though..."

"Is it loud enough yet??" "No such thing!!!"

"I'd shoot myself in the foot but they're already blown away"

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

I thought it was msg....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

I thought it was msg....

"The operation was successful, but the patient died." - The recipe was
perfect, but the cookies tasted awful......

Posted to rec.audio.pro

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

I thought it was msg....

I thought it was garlic.

Ken / Eleven Shadows
www.blueberrybuddha.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dale A. Francis Dale A. Francis is offline

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

might work for attended sessions, cookies to the client smooths them
right out

Posted to rec.audio.pro

adam79 wrote:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

What is the one cooking ingredient that makes every recipe perfect?

It's ganja.
--scott

"These cookies sure taste awful... but who cares?"

I thought it was msg....

I thought it was garlic.

Ken / Eleven Shadows
www.blueberrybuddha.com

Long time no see, Ken! Howdy.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

On 4/3/11 6:23 AM, alex wrote:
Il 03/04/2011 8.24, adam79 ha scritto:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

what's a plugin for mastering? Digital Mastering is usually done with a
couple of it.
I'm not a fan of those "magic boxes" with all in one like izotope...

I should have been more specific in my original post.. I've been
drumming in a band for a month now; we wanted to make a crude recording
to hear ourselves. I quickly setup a few mics, hit record and we went
through our set list.

I know there is much more to mastering than just a Pro Tools plug-in.
However, after taking 20 minutes to adjust the levels, EQ and add some
effects, I wrote the original post.

-Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 06/04/2011 5.44, adam79 ha scritto:
On 4/3/11 6:23 AM, alex wrote:
Il 03/04/2011 8.24, adam79 ha scritto:
Is there a free PT LE plug-in, for mastering, that's available for
download? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks,
-Adam

what's a plugin for mastering? Digital Mastering is usually done with a
couple of it.
I'm not a fan of those "magic boxes" with all in one like izotope...

I should have been more specific in my original post.. I've been
drumming in a band for a month now; we wanted to make a crude recording
to hear ourselves. I quickly setup a few mics, hit record and we went
through our set list.

I know there is much more to mastering than just a Pro Tools plug-in.
However, after taking 20 minutes to adjust the levels, EQ and add some
effects, I wrote the original post.

-Adam

much more in recording and mixing. You have all the tools you need
directly bundled with the host application. In order to make a drum
sounding "good" enough to "hear yourself", you need an equalizer on each
recorded track (or less), and a "mixer"... This setup can do miracles!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/5/2011 11:44 PM, adam79 wrote:

I should have been more specific in my original post.. I've
been drumming in a band for a month now; we wanted to make a
crude recording to hear ourselves. I quickly setup a few
mics, hit record and we went through our set list.

I know there is much more to mastering than just a Pro Tools
plug-in. However, after taking 20 minutes to adjust the
levels, EQ and add some effects, I wrote the original post.

OK, so you've been drummer in this band for a month. How
long have you been a recording engineer? You probably did
everything you could, based on your quick setup and
recording. There is no pony anywhere in that pile of horse****.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 6, 8:23*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
.. There is no pony anywhere in that pile of horse****.

Mike, that is brilliant. I'll have to remember that one!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Nate Najar" wrote in message

On Apr 6, 8:23 am, Mike Rivers
wrote: .

There is no pony anywhere in that pile of horse****.

Mike, that is brilliant. I'll have to remember that one!

Mike said a, ummm mouthfull! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:23 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
. There is no pony anywhere in that pile of horse****.

Mike, that is brilliant. I'll have to remember that one!

Its too crude. Try, "...in that pack of donkeys."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

adam79 wrote:

I should have been more specific in my original post.. I've been
drumming in a band for a month now; we wanted to make a crude
recording to hear ourselves. I quickly setup a few mics, hit record
and we went through our set list.

You want advice? - then decribe the actual setup, simple stuff like size of
room, sound sources and mic setup. In terms of recording relevant stuff your
question is empty as posted.

I know there is much more to mastering than just a Pro Tools plug-in.
However, after taking 20 minutes to adjust the levels, EQ and add some
effects, I wrote the original post.

Tools available generally include channel eq, dynamics and addition of
reverb/effects. The primary eq tool for getting the sound is however to
position the mic properly for type and sound source.

It only takes 10000 hours to become "an expert" so you only have 9994 to go,
you DO need to allow yourself a bit of a learning curve and/or be willing to
outsource at least some of the process if you need a reasonable result fast.

-Adam

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79 adam79 is offline

On 4/14/11 2:25 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
adam79 wrote:

I know there is much more to mastering than just a Pro Tools plug-in.
However, after taking 20 minutes to adjust the levels, EQ and add some
effects, I wrote the original post.

Tools available generally include channel eq, dynamics and addition of
reverb/effects. The primary eq tool for getting the sound is however to
position the mic properly for type and sound source.

It only takes 10000 hours to become "an expert" so you only have 9994 to go,
you DO need to allow yourself a bit of a learning curve and/or be willing to
outsource at least some of the process if you need a reasonable result fast.

I agree with putting in 10000 hours to become a true expert, at
anything. However, I do have much more than 6 hours of experience; I've
been recording since '98-'99. Besides taking a summer course on Audio
Production, I don't have much of any experience with a true professional
setup and high-end gear.

Alex understood what I was looking for with this quick project,
recommending the Isotope product. The RX Demo gave me access to the
couple things I wanted to finish up. That whole recording (besides
vocals) was done with digital DI products (i.e. V-Drums, POD XT...) The
recording was a success! We were able to hear what we sounded like,
without wasting the little practice time we had that night on tracking
and mixing. It was a spur of the moment idea.

-Adam

FA: Digidesign D-FI Plug-in for Pro Tools NEW! jazzboplover Marketplace 0 January 17th 06 06:06 AM
Best plug-in bundle for Pro Tools LE? add1 Pro Audio 7 January 21st 05 08:59 PM
Pro Tools Mbox Plug-In Help db2123 Pro Audio 2 October 31st 04 03:36 PM
Pro tools Ilok Plug ins Mark Pro Audio 0 September 8th 04 07:41 PM
Plug Ins for Pro Tools? Healthy Stealthy ; Pro Audio 1 September 23rd 03 06:28 PM