Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

Default How Would Recording Live Change the Industry

I was just wondering what would happen if we rolled back the clock to
late 50's early 1960's and all Rock, RnB, Country, and Pop recordings
had to be done either A Live all at once or B all the instruments
then 1 overdub with vocals. What if this was the only cool way people
could record. What would happen? GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

On May 23, 12:57*am, Carey Carlan wrote:
gtbuba wrote in news:bd3fc934-b4d0-4cb3-9dd7-
:

I was just wondering what would happen if we rolled back the clock to
late 50's early 1960's and all Rock, RnB, Country, and Pop recordings
had to be done either A *Live all at once or B all the instruments
then 1 overdub with vocals. What if this was the only cool way people
could record. What would happen? GT.

1) It would put a lot of bedroom "studios" out of business. *If they
recorded the whole group and the room sound, they'd need a decent room.

2) It would put a lot of "artists" out of business. *They would have to
learn to sing/play the entire song all the way through.

3) It would absolutely maim Rap. *Imagine sitting there and playing the
same 8 beat figure for 3 minutes! *They'd all be dead from shooting each
other in frustration.

#3 That's funny!!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/22/2011 8:54 PM, gtbuba wrote:
I was just wondering what would happen if we rolled back the clock to
late 50's early 1960's and all Rock, RnB, Country, and Pop recordings
had to be done either A Live all at once or B all the instruments
then 1 overdub with vocals. What if this was the only cool way people
could record. What would happen? GT.

The same thing that happened in the late 1950s. Engineers would figure
out a way to work the way the musicians wanted to work (or go out of
business).

Are you suggesting legislation making overdubbed recordings illegal?

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"gtbuba" wrote in message
[...]

This is hardly new... "I don't play that kling-kling-kling jazz."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGjRKsVMcw

And if you really want to get picky... How about basso continuo?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"gtbuba" wrote in message
3) It would absolutely maim Rap. Imagine sitting there and playing the
same 8 beat figure for 3 minutes! They'd all be dead from shooting each
other in frustration.

This is hardly new... "I don't play that kling-kling-kling jazz."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGjRKsVMcw

I hope that's the same Stan Freberg track that I'm thinking of. It
brought a smile to my face just thinking about it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

JOhn writes:
3) It would absolutely maim Rap. Imagine sitting there and
playing the same 8 beat figure for 3 minutes! They'd all be dead
from shooting each other in frustration.

This is hardly new... "I don't play that kling-kling-kling jazz."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yGjRKsVMcw

I hope that's the same Stan Freberg track that I'm thinking of. It
brought a smile to my face just thinking about it.

YEp. "YOu play that kling kling kling jazz or you won't get
paid tonight ... "

Uproariously funny, at least STan's piece, wouldn't know
about the youtube referenced.
But, all these rappers would have to think about a job
shift, maybe to something like janitor.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see www.gatasound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 5/23/2011 8:07 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/22/2011 8:54 PM, gtbuba wrote:
I was just wondering what would happen if we rolled back the clock to
late 50's early 1960's and all Rock, RnB, Country, and Pop recordings
had to be done either A Live all at once or B all the instruments
then 1 overdub with vocals. What if this was the only cool way people
could record. What would happen? GT.

The same thing that happened in the late 1950s. Engineers would figure
out a way to work the way the musicians wanted to work (or go out of
business).

Are you suggesting legislation making overdubbed recordings illegal?

Brings to mind a comment by Eddie Kramer at a talk
I attended years ago. When asked about how best to
approach one-track-at-a-time mix-down-later recording,
he said: that's not music ...it's a BLOODY science
project!

Later...
Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 23/05/2011 2.54, gtbuba ha scritto:
I was just wondering what would happen if we rolled back the clock to
late 50's early 1960's and all Rock, RnB, Country, and Pop recordings
had to be done either A Live all at once or B all the instruments
then 1 overdub with vocals. What if this was the only cool way people
could record. What would happen? GT.

IMHO much less musicians, much less music and much more power for record
companies...

alex