Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default Roland AC90 for jazz guitar and vocals ?

On May 17, 5:35*pm, wrote:
Hi, I use a Roland AC33 for small gigs with a Godin Kingpin archtop
guitar and i plug a mic into it for vocals, it's not bad but in some
situations it's not loud enough,

By "not loud enough", do you mean that even if you turn the volume
knob 100% clockwise you're not getting enough volume? Or do you mean
that it's going into overload before it has enough volume?

The latter is a sign of insufficient power; the former has nothing to
do with power but everything to do with voltage gain. Very different
issues.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush[_2_] Jack Jarmush[_2_] is offline

On May 18, 5:43*am, PStamler wrote:
On May 17, 5:35*pm, wrote:

Hi, I use a Roland AC33 for small gigs with a Godin Kingpin archtop
guitar and i plug a mic into it for vocals, it's not bad but in some
situations it's not loud enough,

By "not loud enough", do you mean that even if you turn the volume
knob 100% clockwise you're not getting enough volume? Or do you mean
that it's going into overload before it has enough volume?

The latter is a sign of insufficient power; the former has nothing to
do with power but everything to do with voltage gain. Very different
issues.

Peace,
Paul

even if i turn the volume to max it's not loud enough, no overload
occurs though but the mic does tend to feedback but thats positioning
i think.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

Hi, I use a Roland AC33 for small gigs with a Godin Kingpin archtop
guitar and i plug a mic into it for vocals, it's not bad but in some
situations it's not loud enough,

By "not loud enough", do you mean that even if you turn the volume
knob 100% clockwise you're not getting enough volume? Or do you mean
that it's going into overload before it has enough volume?

The latter is a sign of insufficient power; the former has nothing to
do with power but everything to do with voltage gain. Very different
issues.

even if i turn the volume to max it's not loud enough, no overload
occurs though but the mic does tend to feedback but thats positioning
i think.

You probably need an in-line cable transformer, 1:5 to 1:10 ratio comes to
mind, Sennheiser had a product range in the old days, Shure probably
likewise and may still be making them.

That said, something like this may be a wizer way to spend money:

http://www.ld-systems.com/68-1-10-pro-series.html

The passive version is smooth and carries voice well, for your context the
active version may be more relevant. One box on a stick behind you may or
may not work, one for the audience and one as monitor may be better, but
also costs and weights more

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 18, 9:06*am, Jack Jarmush wrote:

even if i turn the volume to max it's not loud enough, no overload
occurs though but the mic does tend to feedback but thats positioning
i think.

Okay, you need more voltage gain on the microphone. A Shure stepup
transformer will do that. And you need to work on the positioning for
the feedback; set the amp's controls for the flattest possible
response, and use a microphone with as flat a response as possible.
(I've had luck with an Electro-Voice RE16 in similar applications.)

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 18, 4:47*pm, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

thanks for the info and link, i cant find LD products here in Paris so
far ... still looking tho. What do you think about their array
system ? or the Bose L1 compact array system ? I'm looking for
something i can carry on the metro with a trolly, i can carry a lot as
i do now (guitar,tenor sax,roland ac33 amp, mic stand, bag with cables
and pedals) but smaller and lighter is the ideal. Perhaps 1 actice
speaker will work, i need to use it for guitra, vocals and sometimes a
little sax when it gets too loud in the room to play acousticaly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

thanks for the info and link, i cant find LD products here in Paris so
far ... still looking tho. What do you think about their array
system? or the Bose L1 compact array system?

L1 is possibly good, but appears too costly, there have been comments to the
effect that while useful the electonics are not as clean sounding as they
shoud be.

I'm looking for
something i can carry on the metro with a trolly, i can carry a lot as
i do now (guitar,tenor sax,roland ac33 amp, mic stand, bag with cables
and pedals) but smaller and lighter is the ideal.

Such products exist, Behringer has at least one, and Yamaha has at least
two - 300 series and 500 series. This is yet another usenet thread where the
most important information supplementing the original question comes very
late. You could quite possibly have gotten way better info from the guys "in
the know" earlier by being up front with the portability requirement.

Perhaps 1 actice
speaker will work, i need to use it for guitra, vocals and sometimes a
little sax when it gets too loud in the room to play acousticaly.

My first thought is that we, the audience, are used to a guitar having its
own amp, small amps exist, I didn't check whether the one you have is such a
an amp, I know just about nothing about backline stuff but that Fender open
back is good and JBL 10, 12 or 15" is good and Traynor is a good bass top
with a D130 or a K140 in a suitable reflex box.

Take a close look&listen to Yamaha's small all-in-1-with 2 speaker systems.
LD's similar stuff, if any, may be ok but you DO need to try it before
buying and you DO need a local vendor in case of repair needs, so if it aint
got a local vendor, then get something that has.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline

On May 20, 4:49*pm, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

thanks again for the info and advice, i'll go do some research
now ...

JJ