Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default headphones

On 5/10/2011 9:57 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
Follow-up to my own post: the MDR7506 cup pads don't seem to be gel, but rather
something akin to that bed foam stuff that feels like gel --

They get significantly more full
sounding if I put pressure on them toward my ears. The HF are still
harsh, but the whole experience is much improved.

I guess I just need new ear cups....

When I bought some new ear cushions for my MDR7506 phones
from B&H Pro Audio a couple of years back, they had
standard ones (that I don't believe came from Sony) and some
premium ones that seemed like they might be gel-filled. I
got the cheap ones. Just checking their web site again, I
don't see the gel-like ones, but they have an alternate that
has a velour-covered pad. I'm not sure if this improves the
seal or is just supposed to be more comfortable, but you
might want to look around to see what's available as an
"upgrade" to the stock cushions.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:03:49 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

That's majorly inconsistant with my experience. The MDR7506 are smiley faced
EQed, but they are clean. If you're hearing distortion, it's probably what's
in the system. A lot of Chinese LD and SD mics have a lot of trash.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

hmmm... maybe my headphones are problematic then. The trashiest mic i own is

a 414. Most stuff gets the schoeps and dpa.....

The 414 (most every version I know) can be very spitty with a LOT of preamps,
Mackie included. Get it on a good preamp and the sound quality changes
dramatically.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ET,
Ty Ford wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:03:49 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

That's majorly inconsistant with my experience. The MDR7506 are smiley faced
EQed, but they are clean. If you're hearing distortion, it's probably what's
in the system. A lot of Chinese LD and SD mics have a lot of trash.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

hmmm... maybe my headphones are problematic then. The trashiest mic i own is

a 414. Most stuff gets the schoeps and dpa.....

The 414 (most every version I know) can be very spitty with a LOT of preamps,
Mackie included. Get it on a good preamp and the sound quality changes
dramatically.

This is the case with the transformer versions like the /EB and /ULS but I
don't think it's the case with the /TL or /TLII. Mind you, the TLII has other
problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On May 12, 11:37*am, Ty Ford wrote:
[...]

Milennia HV3 here....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On May 12, 1:53*pm, Nate Najar wrote:
[...]

PS it's all you guys' fault I now can tell the difference between good
sound and bad sound. 5 year ago I had a mackie and the best mic i had
by a long shot was the 414. now it barely gets used because of the
schoeps and dpa. and milennia hv3 changed my world. and then there's
the 8 channels of True systems which aren't too shabby, especially for
that many channels in a single rackspace at the price. and I've
treatment on my walls and decent k&h monitors.

the only thing I'm missing is good converters, but I can't justify
that kind of investment when what I've got actually sounds fine all
things considered.

ps I've found if you mic stuff right you don't need to worry about
plugins because you'll require very little (or no!) eq and
compression!

I think I'll try to get new ear cups for my sonys and see how I do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

geoff wrote:

Frank Stearns wrote:
This thread has been fascinating, and surprising.

I am startled by those who've indicated that imaging is poor to
non-existent on phones.

Yes, that's bizarre. "Exaggerated" would be my description !

So let's see a show of hands: how many folks find headphone imaging
"incorrect" or non-existent?

Not me. As bove !

I get a good miniature image of the sound stage that fits nicely
between my ears, except on binaural recordings.

Around and above the head, except if only pan-pot multimono, great imaging -
not real, no way, but translateable, but binaural breaks and sounds as if
from behind. Possibly because it is recorded with/for a size 57 head. Yes
also to Scotts observation that the first part of the pan-pot move is
expanded but for real stereo recording that is irrelevant. Looking - and
listening - back however a stereo mix for recording in the performance room
using headphones never gets right and once one learns what happens when
sliding tracks a few milliseconds around the why's of that get blatantly
obvious.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:53:49 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

Milennia HV3 here....

then not likely the problem.

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:57:51 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article
):

ps I've found if you mic stuff right you don't need to worry about plugins
because you'll require very little (or no!) eq and compression!

I think I'll try to get new ear cups for my sonys and see how I do.

Nate,

Just a thought. Have you ever had your ears cleaned?

I remember seeing posts here from time to time from people who were quite
amazed afterwards.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:

ps I've found if you mic stuff right you don't need to worry about
plugins because you'll require very little (or no!) eq and
compression!

Shhh .... !

I think I'll try to get new ear cups for my sonys and see how I do.

Not gonna fix'em in the treble range. Try to borrow an SP25, costly or cheap
version, their oddities are benign and their imaging translates well as I
hear things.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtbuba[_2_] gtbuba[_2_] is offline

On May 8, 7:30*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I just want the set that f$%ks with the sound the very
least.

Which sound? The sound that comes up the cable or the sound in the room
you're in? If you are recording while sitting in the same room as the music
is playing, both are very important. *Read Scott's recent post - the sound
of headphones has a lot to do with the actual details of the construction of
the listener's ears. Even if the brain weren't part of the equation, no two
people hear headphones or earphones the same.

That means either electrostatics, or pricey dynamics. I
doubt such phones will reveal want you want or need to
know about your recordings.

The type of drivers has almost nothing to do with it.

By most informed accounts, Sennheiser and others *do about as well with a
very old basic technology: dynamics, as others do with exotics.

At the high end, price seems to be set by how gutsy the marketing department
is. Look at the migration of the top end of Sennheiser's line. AFAIK the
difference between 650s and the old, dropped-from-the line 580s is not that
much. My suspicion is that the 580s sounded way to good for their price
point. *Some $#!! stole mine, and I still haven't been able to pony up that
sort of money for that sort of thing. Then Sennheiser moved the goal posts.

I and a few of my clients like this big old pair of Sennheisers I
have. My favorite headphone company. GT