#1   Report Post  

Default Phono cartridges

This is my first time on this site and I was hoping that someone could tell me how to tell the difference between a MC and an MM cartridge. I'm sure it's a dumb question but I'm pretty new at this hi-fi stuff and wouldn't even dare call myself an audiophile, but I would like to be able to someday. For me it's more than just a hobby... it's a passion.
  #2   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioholicAnonymous_11163 View Post
This is my first time on this site and I was hoping that someone could tell me how to tell the difference between a MC and an MM cartridge. I'm sure it's a dumb question but I'm pretty new at this hi-fi stuff and wouldn't even dare call myself an audiophile, but I would like to be able to someday. For me it's more than just a hobby... it's a passion.
Hi, my 1st post too.
A MM (moving magnet) cartridge has fixed coils into which a signal is induced by the magnets moving close by, the movement is caused by the stylus moving in the groove, as the magnets are mechanically connected to the stylus by the cantilever the magnet movement and hence the signal is proportional to the stylus movement.

An MC (moving coil) cartridge is basically the opposite way arround, i.e. the magnets are fixed in the cart and the coils are connected to the stylus so the coils moving in the magnetic field induces signal into the coils.

The coils in an MC tend to be a lot smaller and less windings than in MM carts so the induced signal is a lot lower. Although there are always exceptions.

I hope this helps you to understand a little bit more.
  #3   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty View Post
Hi, my 1st post too.
A MM (moving magnet) cartridge has fixed coils into which a signal is induced by the magnets moving close by, the movement is caused by the stylus moving in the groove, as the magnets are mechanically connected to the stylus by the cantilever the magnet movement and hence the signal is proportional to the stylus movement.

An MC (moving coil) cartridge is basically the opposite way arround, i.e. the magnets are fixed in the cart and the coils are connected to the stylus so the coils moving in the magnetic field induces signal into the coils.

The coils in an MC tend to be a lot smaller and less windings than in MM carts so the induced signal is a lot lower. Although there are always exceptions.

I hope this helps you to understand a little bit more.

its all Greek to me! would you elaborate?

Last edited by Christopher001 : May 31st 12 at 12:08 PM
  #4   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher001 View Post
its all Greek to me! would you elaborate?

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoscience/a/mmmc.htm

read this