Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Compressor needed

I asked this once before but I can't find the information I received. I
find that many CDs and all SACDs have too wide a volume range. If I
want to hear the soft sections, then the loud parts are too loud. (The
BIS Beethoven symphonies are particularly bad in this respect). Can
anyone suggest a decent compressor that I can use to "even out" the
volume levels?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:10:45 -0700, MIKE--- wrote
(in article ):

I asked this once before but I can't find the information I received. I
find that many CDs and all SACDs have too wide a volume range. If I
want to hear the soft sections, then the loud parts are too loud. (The
BIS Beethoven symphonies are particularly bad in this respect). Can
anyone suggest a decent compressor that I can use to "even out" the
volume levels?

---MIKE---

This speaks to a discussion we were having in another thread. Someone (I
believe that it was Mr. Kruger) mentioned that most commercial CDs were
purposely limited to about 70 dB of dynamic range (the technical term for
what you called "volume range", above) and that CD is capable of over 90 dB.
The irony here, is that while I'm lamenting that commercial CD makers
compress their releases and don't give consumers what CD is really capable of
providing, you are complaining that the compression that they do use, isn't
enough.

My belief is that with modern DSP technology being so cheap, it should be
possible for player manufactures to incorporate digital compressors into CD
players that would allow the user to select the amount of dynamic range that
they like. This would allow the CD manufacturers to produce all commercial
releases with full, available dynamic range and for consumers to play them
back that way, if they wished. If 90+ dB is too much dynamic range for your
circumstances, then select 70 dB, or 60 dB or a nice vinyl record 55 dB. I
think that' a better solution than making everybody accept CDs that are
purposely so restricted by the CD manufacturer.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_3_] Serge Auckland[_3_] is offline

It depends on how much you want to spend.

The cheapest solution is something like the Behringer MDX1600. This is a two
channel compressor/limiter which sells for around the $100 mark. I have used
several of these as safety limiters in the radio station I engineer for, and
occasionally to "fatten up" thin sounding voices.

A much better solution is to use an Orban Optimod, on one of its gentler,
more purist settings. This device has a wideband AGC which operates somewhat
like "a slow hand on the fader", evening out volume changes, raising those
that are too low, and restricting those too loud. It can also be set to
operate very aggressively for maximum loudness/minimum dynamic range, but
that's probably too severe for normal listening. You can get an Orban 2200
or 2200D for around the $1000 mark, and the "D" variant has digital ins and
outs as well as analogue. The older 8200 or even a TV Optimod will all do
much the same provided you don't use them too aggressively. The 2200D I'm
using as the main on-air processor in our little radio station maintains a
very even level, with no audible artefacts other than of course, the
reduction in dynamic range.

S.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I asked this once before but I can't find the information I received. I
find that many CDs and all SACDs have too wide a volume range. If I
want to hear the soft sections, then the loud parts are too loud. (The
BIS Beethoven symphonies are particularly bad in this respect). Can
anyone suggest a decent compressor that I can use to "even out" the
volume levels?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stephen McElroy Stephen McElroy is offline

In article ,
"Serge Auckland" wrote:

It depends on how much you want to spend.

The cheapest solution is something like the Behringer MDX1600. This is a two
channel compressor/limiter which sells for around the $100 mark. I have used
several of these as safety limiters in the radio station I engineer for, and
occasionally to "fatten up" thin sounding voices.

A much better solution is to use an Orban Optimod, on one of its gentler,
more purist settings. This device has a wideband AGC which operates somewhat
like "a slow hand on the fader", evening out volume changes, raising those
that are too low, and restricting those too loud.

snip

That sounds like the Really Nice Compressor's SuperNice mode. I've never
seen a report of one used in a home stereo, but it would be inexpensive
at under $200.

http://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.htm

OTOH, many receivers have a "night mode" that might do the trick.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:

The cheapest solution is something like the Behringer MDX1600.

A much better solution is to use an Orban Optimod, on one of its gentler,
more purist settings.

I'd vote for an Aphex Compellor over those two units.

The Behringer is cheap, and for compressing a single input (say a
vocalist or a saxophone) in the context of an overall mix it does an
adequate job, but you can hear it pump and breathe when applied to
full-program audio.

The Optimod can sound pretty good (when used gently - it can and does
sound awful how most radio stations use it) - but it's something of
overkill as it's designed to be the final link in the airchain of an FM
radio station. As such, it's aware of limitations of the L-R
subcarrier, overall modulation limits, and other things that are
specific to FM broadcasting, none of which you should care about for
home listening. And IIRC, the output is composite (L+R with the L-R
encoded in the 38k subcarrier) rather than separate left and right.

The Compellor is actually designed to be an overall program leveler
which is probably more what you're looking for. It sounds pretty good
as long as you don't squash things too much.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_4_] Doug McDonald[_4_] is offline

On 8/16/2010 8:10 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I asked this once before but I can't find the information I received. I
find that many CDs and all SACDs have too wide a volume range. If I
want to hear the soft sections, then the loud parts are too loud. (The
BIS Beethoven symphonies are particularly bad in this respect). Can
anyone suggest a decent compressor that I can use to "even out" the
volume levels?

The BIS symphonies don't have a "too wide" dynamic range.

You just want compressed music.

There are two kinds (well, more than two ...) of volume compressors:
those that try to have a short time constant so ALL the soft parts get
pushed up, and those that are in effect gain riders, as if somebody
was reading the score and changing the volume over periods of
say 20 seconds or more. The latter allows sharp volume spikes (the Haydn
"Surprise Symphony" for example) to offer full effect, the former does not.

Which do you want?

I have never found a good one that does the latter (gain riding) well,
so I wrote on in software. There are plenty of the former.

I have found that my compressor works great for iPod use, especially
outdoors, or in a car.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Walt" wrote in message
Serge Auckland wrote:

[...]

Whilst you're right that the Optimod is intended as an FM processor, it does
have Left and Right outputs as well as composite. I don't know about the
Compellor as I've never used one, but I have used Orban Optimods for many
years, and know what they do. At used prices, a 2200D is well within the
sort of prices paid for "audiophile" audio equipment, and as far as sound
quality goes, I'd be happy to use one at home if dynamic range control was
needed, (which it isn't!)

Of course the Compellor may do a better job, it's just not something I'm
familiar with.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Doug McDonald wrote:

The BIS symphonies don't have a "too
wide" dynamic range.

Maybe the CD version doesn't but the SACD certainly does. If I set the
volume so I can hear the softest sections then the loud sections are too
loud. I live in the "sticks" so there is no noise that would obscure
the soft sections.