Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Brafield Brafield is offline

Default Modest speakers to suit my amp; advice?

I have a 100W per channel 8ohm Sony STR-DE197 tuner amp, at present
powering small inexpensive Yamaha 6-ohm 60-200W speakers -- 6.5 x 6.5
x 12 inches wall mounted.

I really should have got bigger better speakers, but I simply hadn't
the cash at that time.

Can anyone suggest a more suitable pair of speakers, max. 18" height,
even a discontinued model I could find, on a modest budget?

I have no technical knowIedge, but I notice there's a difference in
"impedance" numbers between my amp and my speakers; is that a serious
mismatch?

Forgive me for trespassing on a high-end forum, but I did not know
where to post.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
August Karlstrom August Karlstrom is offline

On 2010-08-01 03:16, Brafield wrote:
I have a 100W per channel 8ohm Sony STR-DE197 tuner amp, at present
powering small inexpensive Yamaha 6-ohm 60-200W speakers -- 6.5 x 6.5
x 12 inches wall mounted.

I really should have got bigger better speakers, but I simply hadn't
the cash at that time.

Can anyone suggest a more suitable pair of speakers, max. 18" height,
even a discontinued model I could find, on a modest budget?

I have no technical knowIedge, but I notice there's a difference in
"impedance" numbers between my amp and my speakers; is that a serious
mismatch?

Forgive me for trespassing on a high-end forum, but I did not know
where to post.

Here is something to start with:

http://www.whathifi.com/Reviews/Hi-F...ws/Price_Desc/

August
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Jul 31, 9:16=A0pm, Brafield wrote:
I have a 100W per channel 8ohm Sony STR-DE197 tuner amp, at present
powering small inexpensive Yamaha 6-ohm 60-200W speakers -- 6.5 x 6.5
x 12 inches wall mounted.

First and foremost: Don't wall-mount speakers. Put them on stands
(which don't have to be anything fancy), and pull them out into the
room, so they're away from all the walls. Speaker placement is as
important as choice of speaker.

I really should have got bigger better speakers, but I simply hadn't
the cash at that time.

Can anyone suggest a more suitable pair of speakers, max. 18" height,
even a discontinued model I could find, on a modest budget?

Everybody's idea of "modest" is different. Companies I think make good
budget speakers include Paradigm, PSB, and Infinity. That should give
you a range of models and prices.

I have no technical knowIedge, but I notice there's a difference in
"impedance" numbers between my amp and my speakers; is that a serious
mismatch?

Not a problem. 4-ohm speakers *might* give your amp a hard time, but
you won't see many in the budget category.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Brafield" wrote in message

I have a 100W per channel 8ohm Sony STR-DE197 tuner amp,
at present powering small inexpensive Yamaha 6-ohm
60-200W speakers -- 6.5 x 6.5 x 12 inches wall mounted.

I really should have got bigger better speakers, but I
simply hadn't the cash at that time.

Can anyone suggest a more suitable pair of speakers, max.
18" height, even a discontinued model I could find, on a
modest budget?

Infinity Primus P162 loudspeaker

http://stereophile.com/standloudspea...inf/index.html

I have no technical knowIedge, but I notice there's a
difference in "impedance" numbers between my amp and my
speakers; is that a serious mismatch?

No.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 06:08:38 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 31, 9:16=A0pm, Brafield wrote:
I have a 100W per channel 8ohm Sony STR-DE197 tuner amp, at present
powering small inexpensive Yamaha 6-ohm 60-200W speakers -- 6.5 x 6.5
x 12 inches wall mounted.

First and foremost: Don't wall-mount speakers. Put them on stands
(which don't have to be anything fancy), and pull them out into the
room, so they're away from all the walls. Speaker placement is as
important as choice of speaker.

Agreed. Audio Advisor sells a very good pair of stands for $50. I bought them
on sale for $30 a few months back and find them excellent. They are even
fillable with either sand or lead shot to increase their mass (recommended)
and lower their resonance (not to mention making them more stable
mechanically). You don't HAVE to do this though.

http://tinyurl.com/2bsf882