Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald[_3_] Greg Wormald[_3_] is offline

Default High-end digital audio players

In article ,

On 2010-08-02 00:10, bob wrote:
Do you want a portable player, or something to plug into a high-end
audio system?

=20
The former.

If you plan on using it in a quiet place, and for careful listening, =
then I would recommend an iPod--they seem to get the best reviews on =
sound quality--and a decent pair of either headphones or earphones. For =
very critical listening an external amplifier and a full sized set of =
headphones can't be beat, although the 'portability' starts to suffer.

Some of the real "in-ear" earphones get very good reviews and do mute =
outside noise fairly well. I never went that expensive! I have a pair of =
Sennheiser semi-sealed earphones that do very well with my iPod--about =
$100--although not for critical listening. I use 192 Kbps rips for =
listening while at work or waiting for a car service or ...

On airplanes I use a full sized set of Sennheisers on top of my =
earplugs!

If you plan on walking and listening I don't think it really matters, =
the ambient noise and lowered attention to the music makes real high-end =
quality moot.

Greg=

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
August Karlstrom August Karlstrom is offline

On 2010-08-02 15:08, Greg Wormald wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks for the input Greg.

August