Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Hi Scott!

Since the questions I asked you previously seemed a bit too difficult
for you to answer, or perhaps "over your head", I've made it easy for
you.

Here is a list that one publisher considers to be the 100 greatest
books ever written. Which of them have you read?

1.Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne
2.The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
3.Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
4.Walden by Henry David Thoreau
5.Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift
6.Moby Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville
7.A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway
8.The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
9.The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling
10.The Odyssey by Homer
11.The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
12.A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man by James Joyce
13.Paradise Lost by John Milton
14.Tales From The Arabian Nights by Richard Burton
15.Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
16.Candide by Voltaire
17.Oedipus The King by Sophocles
18.The Hunchback Of Notre Dame [Notre-Dame De Paris] by Victor Hugo
19.The Last Of The Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
20.The Sea Wolf by Jack London
21.Cyrano De Bergerac by Edmund Rostand
22.The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
23.Collected Poems by Robert Browning
24.The Essays Of Ralph Waldo Emerson by Ralph Waldo Emerson
25.The Portrait Of A Lady by Henry James
26.Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
27.Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
28.Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
29.Collected Poems by John Keats
30.On The Origin Of Species by Charles Darwin
31.Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
32.Collected Poems by Robert Frost
33.The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories by Washington Irving
34.Animal Farm by George Orwell
35.Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
36.She Stoops To Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith
37.Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck
38.Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen
39.The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
40.Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
41.The Iliad by Homer
42.Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
43.The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
44.Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
45.Aesop's Fables by Aesop
46.Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
47.The Autobiography Of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
48.The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
49.Politics And The Poetics by Aristotle
50.The Aeneid by Virgil
51.Madam Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
52.The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
53.Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
54.Hamlet by William Shakespeare
55.Pygmalion And Candida by George Bernard Shaw
56.Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
57.Romeo And Juliet by William Shakespeare
58.The Cherry Orchard And The Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov
59.The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
60.The Analects of Confucius by Confucius
61.A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
62.Collected Poems by William Butler Yeats
63.The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
64.Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
65.The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
66.Beowulf
67.Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
68.The Neclace And Other Tales by Guy de Maupassant
69.The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
70.Fathers And Sons by Ivan Turgenev
71.Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
72.War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy
73.The History of Early Rome by Livy
74.Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
75.The Talisman by Sir Walter Scott
76.Tess Of The D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
77.Alice's Adventure In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
78.Dracula by Bram Stoker
79.The Rubáiyát Of Omar Khayyám by Omar Khayyám
80.The Red And The Black by Stendhal
81.A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickins
82.The Republic by Plato
83.Collected Poems by Emily Dickinson
84.Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
85.Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
86.The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John
Jay
87.Silas Marner by George Eliot
88.The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
89.Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
90.Billy Budd by Herman Melville
91.The Confessions by St. Augustine
92.Tales of Mystery And Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe
93.Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
94.The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler
95.The Sound And The Fury by William Faulkner
96.Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
97.Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
98.Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
99.Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
100.David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

http://www.listology.com/list/easton...s-ever-written
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 4, 4:11*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
[...]

http://www.listology.com/list/easton...-books-ever-wr...

Scott, I feel I must warn you: failure to engage in a polite
discussion on this topic may give people the impression that you don't
read. That could, in turn, cause people to conclude that your world
view is parochial, shallow, or even uninformed.

We'd hate to see that happen, wouldn't we?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Is Scott a bibliophobe?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is number 1? Really? Number one?

Did the publisher of this list die in 1940 or something?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

I don't think that the list is meant to be read as rank-ordered.

Did the publisher of this list die in 1940 or something?

It's kind of hard to put Dan Brown on a list like this as he hasn't
withstood the test of time.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Nor will he.

On the other hand, Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ
does. It still kills me that Brown ripped off this book almost
completely.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Apr 7, 1:08*am, hophead wrote:
In article 6b3b6837-7dc1-44ee-9465-078b3da31769
@i37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, says...

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is number 1? Really? Number one?

Did the publisher of this list die in 1940 or something?

Funny coincident: I had to leave at a brutally early time to make a
flight for a conference yesterday (4:00 AM) and I forgot to bring a
book. I did happen to have a copy of some "classic" literature on my
iPod touch and 20,000 Leagues was among the list so I started reading it
again -- I had read it many years ago, but had even forgotten my
impression of the book.

I certainly wouldn't rank it in the top 20, but I admit I'm enjoying it
quite a bit, especially when I consider when it was written.

no Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse 5
no Tom Wolfe, The Painted Word
no Kerouac, Desolation Angels
no Kesey, One Flew Ove the Cuckoo's Nest
no Harper, to Kill a Mockingbird
no Steinbeck, and Mark Twain barely made it
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

Hey, 2pid, I now realize how limiting this list must be. Clyde and
hophead have shown there are too many exclusions on a list of only
100, and one that is slanted toward "all-time" versus the more recent
ones. I can see a trendy, "with it" guy like you isn't going to be
bothered with old guys Chaucer or Dickens!

Here is a list with more than 2,000 books on it, all from the 20th
century. And to warm the cuckolds of your heart, it represents the
"will of the people"! That's right, 2pid, it was VOTED on by people
who read, and probably read a lot!

So you can certainly find a few on this list that you've read in order
to start a polite discussion, yes?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

[...]

to start a polite discussion, yes?- Hide quoted text -

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...e_20th_Century
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 8, 4:38*am, Clyde Slick wrote:
On Apr 7, 1:08*am, hophead wrote:

[...]

How do you feel those stack up against Shakespeare or Dickens?

Anyway, I posted a list of the top 2236 books of the 20th century so
that you won't get heart palpatations. I'm sure those are on there.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
[...]

That was my point. What's popular at a given time may not be as great
as we think it is. We'll know more about that in 50-75 years.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Agreed. It's the same way with film...it takes a generation to know
which movies will become classic and which ones will fade away. For
example, Chariots of Fire is close to being completely forgotten
along with other Best Picture winners as Out of Africa, Kramer vs.
Kramer, The Last Emperor and A Man for All Seasons. On the other hand,
who in the '90s knew that The Big Lebowski would become so beloved and
studied?