Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Turntable connectivity

There seems to be no effort or willingness whatsoever to get rid of
the RCA connector here, even though most tonearm wiring seems to use a
mini-DIN internally, they break that out to cables terminated in male
or short jumpers to externally mounted female RCAs. The RCA connector
sucks. How can we take an industry seriously that doesn't acknowledge
this??
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 28, 12:39*am, Bret L wrote:
*There seems to be no effort or willingness whatsoever to get rid of
the RCA connector here, even though most tonearm wiring seems to use a
mini-DIN internally, they break that out to cables terminated in male
or short jumpers to externally mounted female RCAs. The RCA connector
sucks. How can we take an industry seriously that doesn't acknowledge
this??

Sorry, but an RCA connector never got in the way of enjoying great
analog sound. This is another one of your personal pet peeves that's
ultimately irrelevant.

I'd mention the Neutrik connectors that Rega uses, but I don't want to
confuse Scott again.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Bret L wrote:
There seems to be no effort or willingness whatsoever to get rid of
the RCA connector here, even though most tonearm wiring seems to use a
mini-DIN internally, they break that out to cables terminated in male
or short jumpers to externally mounted female RCAs. The RCA connector
sucks. How can we take an industry seriously that doesn't acknowledge
this??

**Indeed. Too late though. Turntables are, for the most part, obsolete.On
another matter:

How can we take a nation seriously that has failed to embrace the Metric
system?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

How can we take a nation seriously that has failed to embrace the Metric
system?

--

You'll be happy to know that the US HAS had the metric system as an
official and approved system of measurement for almost 150 years.

Most Americans know approximately the lengths of a centimeter,
millimeter, meter, kilometer and the weight of a kilogram and volume
of a liter. 1000 cc is a liter, or 61 cubic inches.

The metric system, or more accurately the universally accepted
version of it, has other flaws. Metric threads are poor in comparison
to UNC and UNF and especially the old Whitworth. It was only fairly
recently that a Japanese metric bolt would fit a European metric nut
or vice versa, and the sockets didn't always interchange either.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Bret L wrote:
How can we take a nation seriously that has failed to embrace the
Metric system?

--

You'll be happy to know that the US HAS had the metric system as an
official and approved system of measurement for almost 150 years.
Abraham Lincoln signed the bill into law. However, we sensibly use it
only for scientific and medical uses and certain machining and
microelectronic applications. It isn't very people friendly in its
basic units, even though it is fully decimal.

**Bull****. Here in Australia, we used Imperial measurements for many
decades. I grew up with them. Switching to Metric was relatively painless
and most now wonder why we did not switch MUCH earlier. Metric is far more
people friendly. It is far easier to calculate and there are no silly
conversions required (such as: Troy Ounces, US Gallons, etc). I well recall
how much thought I had to give to work out which was the next size drill I
had to grab from the box for my dad, when he asked me to hand him the next
size up from 1/8" (is it 9/64", or 5/32"). If I want to know the next size
up from (say) 4mm, I intuitively and instantly know that it is 4.5mm.

Most Americans know approximately the lengths of a centimeter,
millimeter, meter, kilometer and the weight of a kilogram and volume
of a liter. 1000 cc is a liter, or 61 cubic inches.

**It is time that the US embraced the measurement system that the entire
planet uses.

The metric system, or more accurately the universally accepted
version of it, has other flaws. Metric threads are poor in comparison
to UNC and UNF and especially the old Whitworth.

**Standardised threads are not necessarily going to suit all applications.
There is no reason why a specific Metric thread cannot be developed for such
applications.

It was only fairly
recently that a Japanese metric bolt would fit a European metric nut
or vice versa, and the sockets didn't always interchange either.

**I've never had such a problem.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

**Bull****. Here in Australia, we used Imperial measurements for many
decades. I grew up with them. Switching to Metric was relatively painless
and most now wonder why we did not switch MUCH earlier. Metric is far more
people friendly. It is far easier to calculate and there are no silly
conversions required (such as: Troy Ounces, US Gallons, etc). I well recall
how much thought I had to give to work out which was the next size drill I
had to grab from the box for my dad, when he asked me to hand him the next
size up from 1/8" (is it 9/64", or 5/32"). If I want to know the next size
up from (say) 4mm, I intuitively and instantly know that it is 4.5mm.

Yet there are 5.5mm and 13.77 mm sockets!

The Germans love to use inside spline fasteners made to no
conceivable standards as well. Whereas in America, our Bristol (no,
not British) spline fasteners so beloved of Collins Radio are gone and
done with.

Most Americans know approximately the lengths of a centimeter,
millimeter, meter, kilometer and the weight of a kilogram and volume
of a liter. 1000 cc is a liter, or 61 cubic inches.

**It is time that the US embraced the measurement system that the entire
planet uses.

You know, I thought that way once too. We did not and we aren't going
to, same as the Australians and New Zealanders are going to abandon
driving on the wrong side (LHD cars on the right is the world
standard). It doesn't bother me either way to be honest.

Degrees Fahrenheit are a far more usable human scale than Centigrade.
Inch pound gallon isn't such a problem: horses are in hands, wind
speeds in knots (nm/hr) and air and marine navigation in nautical
miles. In Britain, so and so weighs so many 'stone'. It's not a big
deal.

The metric system, or more accurately the universally accepted
version of it, has other flaws. Metric threads are poor in comparison
to UNC and UNF and especially the old Whitworth.

**Standardised threads are not necessarily going to suit all applications.
There is no reason why a specific Metric thread cannot be developed for such
applications.

It is indeed possible but in 70+ years the metric savants have
ignored the problem. Any engine machinist working on inch (American
car engines, Harleys, LyCon flat aircraft engines) and metric
(everything else except vintage Brit stuff) machined castings will
give you an earful about how the metric thread actually used not only
has a ****ty threadform but is too coarse for fine work and too fine
for ruggedness,
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Bret L wrote:
**Bull****. Here in Australia, we used Imperial measurements for many
decades. I grew up with them. Switching to Metric was relatively
painless and most now wonder why we did not switch MUCH earlier.
Metric is far more people friendly. It is far easier to calculate
and there are no silly conversions required (such as: Troy Ounces,
US Gallons, etc). I well recall how much thought I had to give to
work out which was the next size drill I had to grab from the box
for my dad, when he asked me to hand him the next size up from 1/8"
(is it 9/64", or 5/32"). If I want to know the next size up from
(say) 4mm, I intuitively and instantly know that it is 4.5mm.

Yet there are 5.5mm and 13.77 mm sockets!

**5.5mm is a standard size. I presume 13.77mm is to accommodate some
Imperial size.

The Germans love to use inside spline fasteners made to no
conceivable standards as well. Whereas in America, our Bristol (no,
not British) spline fasteners so beloved of Collins Radio are gone and
done with.

Most Americans know approximately the lengths of a centimeter,
millimeter, meter, kilometer and the weight of a kilogram and volume
of a liter. 1000 cc is a liter, or 61 cubic inches.

**It is time that the US embraced the measurement system that the
entire planet uses.

You know, I thought that way once too. We did not and we aren't going
to, same as the Australians and New Zealanders are going to abandon
driving on the wrong side (LHD cars on the right is the world
standard).

**********. One of the world's best and most profligate automobile
manufacturers builds cars that require no modification to drive in
Australia. I refer, of course, to Japan. And with US car manufacturers'
legendary (un)reliability, appropriateness and quality control, it is hardly
surprising that Japanese cars outsell US products be several orders of
magnitude, here in Australia.

It doesn't bother me either way to be honest.

Degrees Fahrenheit are a far more usable human scale than Centigrade.

**It's CELSIUS. How do you figure that Fahrenheit is more useful, given that
both scales are, in truth, arbitrary anyway.

Inch pound gallon isn't such a problem: horses are in hands, wind
speeds in knots (nm/hr) and air and marine navigation in nautical
miles. In Britain, so and so weighs so many 'stone'. It's not a big
deal.

**In Britain, they use kg. Nautical Miles is not a measurement of length,
per se. It is a measurement corresponding to one minute of an arc of
Latitude. It has also been accepted for use in SI measurements. The rest of
your measurements are cumbersome and not compatible with the rest of the
planet.

The metric system, or more accurately the universally accepted
version of it, has other flaws. Metric threads are poor in
comparison to UNC and UNF and especially the old Whitworth.

**Standardised threads are not necessarily going to suit all
applications. There is no reason why a specific Metric thread cannot
be developed for such applications.

It is indeed possible but in 70+ years the metric savants have
ignored the problem. Any engine machinist working on inch (American
car engines, Harleys, LyCon flat aircraft engines) and metric
(everything else except vintage Brit stuff) machined castings will
give you an earful about how the metric thread actually used not only
has a ****ty threadform but is too coarse for fine work and too fine
for ruggedness,

**I don't beleive you. Tell me how those engineers in Germany, Korea and
Japan have managed to build some of the finest machinery ever seen by using
Metric equipment and materials.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au