Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Coconuts Coconuts is offline

Default refoam

I did the whole thing. I cut out the dust caps and shimmed
the coils. Not only was it necessary for added peace of
mind, the shims helped keep the cones at helpful heights
during the refoam job.

They look good and sound good. They sound pretty good hooked
up to an old Marantz 2220B - better when I get the volume
control cleaned up a little bit. Thanks for all the
suggestions.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Damon Hill[_3_] Damon Hill[_3_] is offline

"Coconuts" wrote in :

I did the whole thing. I cut out the dust caps and shimmed
the coils. Not only was it necessary for added peace of
mind, the shims helped keep the cones at helpful heights
during the refoam job.

That was my experience overhauling a pair of Acoustic Research
AR-11 speakers found for $18 at Goodwill, my first experience
at replacing surrounds. My subsequent practice thereafter.
I replaced all of the electrolytic caps in the crossovers with
polypropylenes, and it was all good.

Repairing damage (looks like it was kicked by the previous
owner) to the cabinet was where I hit the brick wall. I may
need to go back and redo the woofer gaskets; I suspect at least
one is leaking ever so slightly.

Not all speakers can be successfully repaired this way, of
course; voice coils are sometimes toast and spiders saggy/
torn/whatever, but a lot of speakers can be salvaged this
way.

Can't help you with the nutjobs who lurk here, but this is the
opinion group after all... I set my plonk filter to kill on
the worst of 'em, which improves the signal to noise ratio. Too
bad as a couple of them are otherwise apparently very knowledgeable,
but with major personality issues.

--Damon

Speaker refoam - coaxial fatsam Car Audio 1 July 15th 05 03:29 AM
Speaker refoam - coaxial fatsam Pro Audio 1 July 15th 05 03:29 AM
Speaker refoam - coaxial fatsam Tech 1 July 15th 05 03:29 AM
cheap refoam loudspeaker kit? J F Tech 10 August 18th 04 01:28 PM
Recomendations for Speaker Refoam sources Michael Squires Tech 2 November 8th 03 04:57 PM