Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

Default Three new (to me) recordings

I had a fun day at Amoeba Hollywood yesterday on the way home from
Christmas with the in-laws.

1. Mercury CDs of the classic recording of Starker playing the Bach
Cello Suites. Such beautiful playing of these masterpieces, and the
sound is among the best that I've heard on CD.

2. Classic Records LP re-issue of Everest recording of music by
Villa-Lobos and Ginastera. Goossens/LSO. Fine playing of these little
gems. Especially good sound on the Ginastera Dansa Finale from
Estancia. Great horns, really well captured on record.

3. Works for flute and guitar on used French Harmonia Mundi (one of my
favorite labels) LP, very clean copy. Rampal and Bartoli. Wonderful,
sensitive playing, nice sense of space on the recording.

Anyone else have any end-of-the-year recording purchases?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article

,

Jenn wrote:

I had a fun day at Amoeba Hollywood yesterday on the way home from
Christmas with the in-laws.

1. Mercury CDs of the classic recording of Starker playing the Bach
Cello Suites. Such beautiful playing of these masterpieces, and the
sound is among the best that I've heard on CD.

2. Classic Records LP re-issue of Everest recording of music by
Villa-Lobos and Ginastera. Goossens/LSO. Fine playing of these little
gems. Especially good sound on the Ginastera Dansa Finale from
Estancia. Great horns, really well captured on record.

3. Works for flute and guitar on used French Harmonia Mundi (one of my
favorite labels) LP, very clean copy. Rampal and Bartoli. Wonderful,
sensitive playing, nice sense of space on the recording.

Anyone else have any end-of-the-year recording purchases?

Forgot to mention: All found a pristine copy of original Apple release
of Beatles Rubber Soul LP. Sounds great!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article

,

Jenn wrote:

Anyone else have any end-of-the-year recording purchases?

I took a chance on Crossley's Faure Barcarolles on CRD. I'm sure the
performances are fine. I just hope the cd itself predates the PDO
'bronzing' era.

Possibly not hi-fi, but I am enjoying my Michelangeli download. The
recordings are from concerts and feature his repertoire familiar from
the studio. The $9.99 download is equivalent to 3 or 4 cds.

My 99 tracks of Tchaikovsky download was effectively free due to a
refund offered because track 67 wasn't what it was supposed to be. It
will be months before I want to hear the Nutcracker again but I liked
Ponti's performance of the Seasons.

I am intrigued by the Hall and Oates box set.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article

,

Jenn wrote:

Forgot to mention: All found a pristine copy of original Apple release
of Beatles Rubber Soul LP. Sounds great!

Stereo or mono? Good find either way.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On Dec 28, 11:09*am, Jenn wrote:
I had a fun day at Amoeba Hollywood yesterday on the way home from
Christmas with the in-laws. *

1. *Mercury CDs of the classic recording of Starker playing the Bach
Cello Suites. *Such beautiful playing of these masterpieces, and the
sound is among the best that I've heard on CD.

2. *Classic Records LP re-issue of Everest recording of music by
Villa-Lobos and Ginastera. *Goossens/LSO. *Fine playing of these little
gems. *Especially good sound on the Ginastera Dansa Finale from
Estancia. *Great horns, really well captured on record.

3. *Works for flute and guitar on used French Harmonia Mundi (one of my
favorite labels) LP, very clean copy. *Rampal and Bartoli. *Wonderful,
sensitive playing, nice sense of space on the recording.

Anyone else have any end-of-the-year recording purchases?

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Comp...BNRE4/ref=sr_1
_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1262028509&sr=8-1

Cool. Those Brilliant sets tend to be good generalized surveys of the
composer. Performances and recording quality vary, of course, but they
sure are a great bargain. I've been thinking of getting the Haydn set.

Enjoy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article

,

Jenn wrote:

Forgot to mention: All found a pristine copy of original Apple release
of Beatles Rubber Soul LP. Sounds great!

Stereo or mono? Good find either way.

Stephen

Stereo. Sounds really, really good.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Dec 28, 1:28*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article

,

*Jenn wrote:
I had a fun day at Amoeba Hollywood yesterday on the way home from
Christmas with the in-laws. *

1. *Mercury CDs of the classic recording of Starker playing the Bach
Cello Suites. *Such beautiful playing of these masterpieces, and the
sound is among the best that I've heard on CD.

2. *Classic Records LP re-issue of Everest recording of music by
Villa-Lobos and Ginastera. *Goossens/LSO. *Fine playing of these little
gems. *Especially good sound on the Ginastera Dansa Finale from
Estancia. *Great horns, really well captured on record.

3. *Works for flute and guitar on used French Harmonia Mundi (one of my
favorite labels) LP, very clean copy. *Rampal and Bartoli. *Wonderful,
sensitive playing, nice sense of space on the recording.

Anyone else have any end-of-the-year recording purchases?

Forgot to mention: *All found a pristine copy of original Apple release
of Beatles Rubber Soul LP. *Sounds great!- Hide quoted text -

Very nice.

I picked up Wilco (the album) on vinyl, and "I'll Fight" has suddenly
become my favorite song of the year. I also received a bunch of vinyl
as Christmas presents...no classical, but a lot of new stuff from
local bands such as Buttercup.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
none none is offline

ScottW a écrit :

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

Somebody tries to attempt to your life, sue him (her) !!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , none ""lionel\"@
(none)" says...
ScottW a écrit :

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

Somebody tries to attempt to your life, sue him (her) !!!!

Well, if it isn't Lionel!

How are things in France these days?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
none none is offline

hophead a écrit :
In article , none ""lionel\"@
(none)" says...
ScottW a écrit :

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

Somebody tries to attempt to your life, sue him (her) !!!!

Well, if it isn't Lionel!

Damned, I've been uncovered !!! It's very difficult to remain incognito
by now.

How are things in France these days?

Not worst than in so much places.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , none ""lionel\"@
(none)" says...

Damned, I've been uncovered !!! It's very difficult to remain incognito
by now.

That it is. Of course with the very low traffic around here it's hard to
go unnoticed.

How are things in France these days?

Not worst than in so much places.

Good to hear. You may have noticed that Monsieur Middius has been absent
for some time. Given that you two shared such camaraderie I wondered if
he had dropped by for a visit?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
none ""lionel\"@(none)" wrote:

ScottW a écrit :

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

Somebody tries to attempt to your life, sue him (her) !!!!

Depends. 85 jewel boxes is a felony; 85 digipacks just a misdemeanor.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
none none is offline

MiNe 109 a écrit :
In article ,
none ""lionel\"@(none)" wrote:

ScottW a écrit :

I got an 85 cd box set of Beethoven for Christmas

Somebody tries to attempt to your life, sue him (her) !!!!

Depends. 85 jewel boxes is a felony; 85 digipacks just a misdemeanor.

Seems that your expertise goes from Solfege to proceedings.
What a decadence Stephen.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
none none is offline

hophead a écrit :
In article , none ""lionel\"@
(none)" says...

Damned, I've been uncovered !!! It's very difficult to remain incognito
by now.

That it is. Of course with the very low traffic around here it's hard to
go unnoticed.

Not a good time for a discreet wink ?

How are things in France these days?

Not worst than in so much places.

Good to hear. You may have noticed that Monsieur Middius has been absent
for some time.

George "Don Quixote" Middius was just a flimsy fraud. I must acknowledge
that his incredible pathologic narcissism made him last on RAC more than
anybody can foresee.