Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Ferstler vs. AudioXPress

Ferstler has never done any DIY projects. Nor is there any evidence
that he could.

David Rich is another matter. In the old "Audio Critic" he would g
through commercial designs and essentially critique their component
engineering, always suggesting a better IC or other part for each
stage. Why he didn't simply design one "de novo" and publish a PCB
layout for us proles is my question, and one he never deigned to
answer.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:
*Ferstler has never done any DIY projects. Nor is there any evidence
that he could.

*David Rich is another matter. In the old "Audio Critic" he would g
through commercial designs and essentially critique their component
engineering, always suggesting a better IC or other part for each
stage. Why he didn't simply design one "de novo" and publish a PCB
layout for us proles is my question, and one he never deigned to
answer.

Everything Ferstler did in regards to DBTs and DIYs were done under
the careful supervision of Roy Allison. Under scrutiny, it was
revealed that Howard did the DBT incorrectly anyway. That's the reason
why Howard was relegated to subwoofer and surround sound processor
reviews in his later years...when you spend most of the review
regurgitating the owner's manual, it's relatively hard to screw it up.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ferstler Ferstler is offline

On Jan 14, 2:49*am, Bret L wrote:
*Ferstler has never done any DIY projects. Nor is there any evidence
that he could.

*David Rich is another matter. In the old "Audio Critic" he would g
through commercial designs and essentially critique their component
engineering, always suggesting a better IC or other part for each
stage. Why he didn't simply design one "de novo" and publish a PCB
layout for us proles is my question, and one he never deigned to
answer.

Well, blast, I cannot let this one pass, even though my better
judgement says otherwise.

Not too long ago I sold off the Dunlavy Cantatas in my smaller system
(they were just too large for my wife's taste) and replaced them with
some home-built jobs. I used Allison tweeters and Tang Band mids in
vertical MTTM arrays with each system, and with a small Allison woofer
on the bottom of the slender, four-foot-tall cabinets. I designed the
crossover network myself (all second order, with polypropylene caps in
the tweeter and midrange high-pass networks, bipolars elsewhere,
chokes purchased from Parts Express, and with independent polyswitch
fuses installed to protect each driver array). All of the woodworking
and electrical assembly was done by me out in my workshop.

After they were done, I compared them to the Cantatas (level matched,
following guidelines I outlined in my recent AudioXpress article) and
they sounded quite similar, with the new systems being a bit more
spacious, thanks to the Allison tweeters and Tang Band mids and the
nature of the Dunlavy directional output design. I then hauled them
into my main system's listening room area and did a level-matched
comparison between them and my Allison IC-20 models. During some of
the A/B sequences, using mostly baroque and classical source materials
(music most of you people would not be able to comprehend), I could
hear no differences between my units and the Allison units at all.

Prior to that, I built a custom center speaker for that main system to
complement the IC-20s. A short tower model, it uses Allison mids and
tweeters in a vertical MTTM array, with a single Allison 10-inch
woofer at the bottom. It basically is one half of an IC-20 in a
somewhat rectangular cabinet, but with the front panel sloped
backwards four degrees to allow its shorter height (40 inches) to
still keep the direct field focussed at seated ear height, and with a
crossover network modified from two basic Allison designs to
accommodate the different driver and cabinet layout. Like the other
systems, this unit made use of polypropylene caps and 18 AWG wire
chokes (the network is not quite fully second order, with the woofer
high pass being first order), and also made use of separate polyswitch
fuses for each driver array, and even the woofer. The system sounds
identical to an IC-20.

A few months back I refurbished all four of the Allison Model Four
systems used as surround speakers in my main system. I did a
documentation report on the project for the Classic Speaker pages, and
even wrote an article on the work for an on-line woodworking chat
group. The caps were replaced with polypropylene jobs, polyswitches
were installed, and the tweeter high pass network was converted from
first to second order to better protect the drivers from overload.

Not too long ago, I refurbished the crossover networks in the 19-year-
old IC-20 models, replacing all of the stock caps with polypropylene
jobs, even the big one in the woofer network. The job required a major
revamping of the network mount and lots of soldering work. The
speakers had been working fine, but I wanted to make sure that cap
deterioration would not take place in the near future.

Three weeks ago I built two new surround speakers for my smaller
system from scratch, thereby freeing up two Allison Model Four systems
that had been handling that task. As usual, I used polypropylene caps,
new 18 AWG chokes, and polyswitches. The Allison's are physically too
large for that kind of duty, and after I replace their old stock caps
with polypropylene jobs and install polyfuses to protect the tweeters
I plan on putting them up for sale.

So, guess what, I can design and build (and refurbish) speakers, and
the ones I have built sound quite good.

I have no intention of doing any kind of DIY articled about the work,
simply because I am done with audio journalism, period.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 14, 11:56*am, Boon wrote:
On Jan 14, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

I decided to take a look here on a whim, and instead of you guys just
giving it a rest you decided to do a fast slandering job on me. Since
there may be people here who are not up to date on how you guys
operate, I have decided to interject the information below.

Roy Allison never did "supervise" my DBT work. I have only met him
three times in my life, and we never even lived close to each other.
Sure, I wrote him regularly (and still do), but most of the time we
just chatted about topics unrelated to audio, let alone about any of
my reviewing projects. I will say that no audio writer or engineer
worth a flip would do serious comparing work by any means other than
the DBT protocol.

The response-curve readout technique I used with speaker A/B comparing
was developed by me independently from anybody else. First, a stereo
pair of speakers are arranged AB/AB style in my main listening room (a
3400 cubic foot area that has the speakers 11 to 15 feet away,
depending upon manufacturer suggestions, from the listening and
measuring axis) to keep their soundstages the same width. The
procedure itself consists of first level matching the speakers using
an RTA to get their outputs to overlap as exactly as possible, using a
broad-bandwidth, pink-noise source.

Level matching with speakers, as with any other components being
compared, is critical, and to do that I use an AudioControl SA3051 in
its 20-second averaging mode do a cumulative readout as I slowly move
the microphone over a 1 x 1 x 5 foot area near seated ear height at
the listening couch as the broad-bandwidth pink-noise source is
played. I have done it that way, in that room for many years, thereby
giving me a consistant reference standard for loudspeaker performance,
and the idea is to get a proper room curve that approximates a power
response readout. David Moran, who uses a dbx RTA to the same kind of
comparisons, but with somewhat different microphone movements, has
indicated to at least one chat group that my results parallel his when
the same speakers are involved. I use this technique to both set
levels for A/B comparisons and to give me response curves to reproduce
and discuss in my speaker reviews.

Once the levels are properly set for the comparison work, I go on to
do standard comparisons, using a variety of classical, romantic-era,
and baroque sources. I even use rock and jazz at times, and with most
of my speaker reviews I tell the reader just what recordings are
involved, even going to far as to print the recording stock numbers.

Anybody who has ever read any of my product reviews (that probably
does not include you) will acknowledge that my reports (be they about
speakers or be they about anything else) are anything but
regurgitations of the owner's manuals. Sure, I note manufacturer specs
and comments (any good reviewer should go over those in a review), but
I then do a decent analysis of the performance of whatever component I
am dealing with.

When doing my DBT work with amps, wires, and players I either used a
switcher and reference amp that allowed me to get the levels precisely
matched before doing sighted comparisons, or else I used an ABX
Comparator that Tom Nousaine loaned to me for several months. The
device had an on-board digital volt meter and signal generator that
allowed for very precise level matching, one channel at a time, and it
also forced the participant to do the comparing blind. The results I
got with the device were consistant with what I discovered during my
sighted and level-matched comparisons. Using the ABX device finally
convinced me that doing amp, wire, and player reviews was just not
something I cared to fool with any more. There simply was not anything
one could say about their sound, because they had no sound. I did
stick with reviewing receivers and processors for a while, because
those at least had surround technology that could be analyzed.

The resutls with my ABX comparisons were that any good amp, provided
it is not pushed hard against its clipping level, will sound the same
as any other good amp. Good amps are common enough for most
intelligent people to make purchases based upon price and maximum
power needs. Other results were that any good lamp cord 16 AWG or
larger, will sound as good as any exotic versions, unless the
manufacturer of the exotic has managed to screw up their performance
by installing shunt capacitors or some other inane modifications to
make them sound different from (read, less accurate than) good-old
wires. Ditto for interconnects. As for players, well, any good CD or
DVD player will sound identical to just about any other, with the
primary exceptions being exotic models that have been modified by
their borderline corrupt manufacturers to sound different from (read,
less accurate than) the norm.

Finally, just in case you or anybody else here really does want to
read some of my published reviews, go to:

http://findarticles.com/p/search/?tb=art&qt="Howard%2C+Ferstler"

The only problem with the reprints is that the program will not
reproduce my measurement curves, but you should not care, anyway,
because you could not tell an honest review from a dishonest one if
your life depended upon it.

PS: I have known David Rich for years (we have even done joint reviews
together), and while he and I disagree about how speakers should
perform (reverberant-field bias vs direct-field bias), we agree
precisely when it comes to amps, wires, audio gimmicks, and players.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 4:05*pm, Ferstler wrote:
On Jan 14, 11:56*am, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

....and the rest is tired bull**** that no one will bother reading. You
know, Harold, just like your subwoofer reviews.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 4:09*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:
"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

These last few posts of Harold's are the most productive thing he's
done since he filed his last book at the university library.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 14, 5:09*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:
"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

Good point. Adios.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 14, 11:56*am, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

know, Harold, just like your subwoofer reviews.- Hide quoted text -

This site is basically occupied by a group of dysfunctional goons.

Enjoy your life, pinhead.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 11:56*am, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 1:49*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Why do you keep making these simple-minded exits? Have the creative
juices dried up? Do you have nothing more to live for than the hope
that someone on the Internet still remembers you?

Do something with your life, Harold. As long as you draw breath, it's
not too late. Stop lamenting the passing of your supposed hobby--audio
as you think it should exist--and move on. These sporadic appearances
of yours are the very definition of pathetic.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jan 14, 3:31 pm, Ferstler wrote:
On Jan 14, 2:49 am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

Yes, but you can't buy Allison tweeters, anymore can you? And how
efficient is this system?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 10:20*pm, ScottW wrote:
On Jan 14, 2:14*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 4:09*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

These last few posts of Harold's are the most productive thing he's
done since he filed his last book at the university library.

and about 10x the audio content of your lifes work.

You're just mad that I won't use old beat-up King Crimson and Genesis
LPs to evaluate every piece of equipment like you do.

An audio post on RAO and what does Phillips do in spite
of his claimed desire for on-topic posting?
He ****es all over it like an infant in need of potty training.

You moron. The post was directed toward Harold's ability to do DIY. I
kept on-topic. It's YOU who is trolling...right here, right now.

Your obvious Ferstler envy in every post is almost
nauseating. *Will you ever grow up?

You have an obvious "envy" fixation. You imagine men are envying your
life (sorry, but they aren't), envying your wife (she's good looking,
but I've had better...which you've seen) and now supposedly I'm
envying Howard (which makes absolutely no sense since Howard has
retired to oblivion).

You know, obsessing over envy like you do is indicative of a certain
personality disorder as well. Care to hazard a guess before I drop
another bomb on your pointed little head?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 14, 2:49 am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

efficient is this system?- Hide quoted text -

I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members.

I have a stockpile of Allison drivers, but, yes, many old Allison fans
continue to scramble for spare parts. Fortunately, the drivers seem to
hold up very well, excepting the urethane foam woofer surrounds, which
deteriorate in a typical manner. I have replaced a lot of those
(several companies offer replacement kits), both on my own drivers and
on those belonging to friends. Fortunately, spare parts to refurbish
crossover networks are readily available, and, really, about the only
things there that might poop out would be the capacitors..

The smaller, main-channel systems I built have an 88 dB sensitivity
rating (2.83 volts applied, at a one-meter distance). That is about
the same as the bulk of the Allison speaker lineup (this varies, with
the company's 4-ohm models being 90 dB), as well as a lot of other
brands. The center speaker I built for my main system has an 87 dB
sensitivity rating, which is identical to that of the left and right
main Allison IC-20 units in the same installation.

Allison speakers have a reputation (like the old, classic AR line) of
being power hungry. However, you can get more than enough output with
a typical 100 wpc receiver. While I used to power all three front
systems with 250 watts apiece, I now use a receiver with 130 for each,
and get plenty of volume, even with movies. Of course, having an 18-
inch Velodyne subwoofer on hand to handle the bottom end takes
considerable pressure off of the satellite amps.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Ferstler wrote:

I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members.

You're new here, aren't you?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 15, 2:36*pm, Ferstler wrote:

I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members.

Um, Harold...Bret is a blatant white supremacist who has been spamming
this NG for quite some time with his "nationalist" propaganda. If you
think that's sane and honest, then you've sunk even lower than anyone
imagined.

On the other hand, he also tends to offer opinions of stereo gear
(i.e. Harbeth, Koetsu) that he has never heard, and then lies about
having heard them at nameless audio salons. That makes you two audio
frauds quite the matched pair.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, Boon wrote:
On Jan 15, 2:36*pm, Ferstler wrote:

I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members.

Um, Harold...Bret is a blatant white supremacist who has been spamming
this NG for quite some time with his *"nationalist" propaganda. If you
think that's sane and honest, then you've sunk even lower than anyone
imagined.

On the other hand, he also tends to offer opinions of stereo gear
(i.e. Harbeth, Koetsu) that he has never heard, and then lies about
having heard them at nameless audio salons. That makes you two audio
frauds quite the matched pair.

Well, I certainly have no use for white supremacists (being a rather
extreme Obama supporter, myself, and a borderline socialist when it
comes to topics like medical and energy issues), but since I have been
away for some time and have not bothered to even read any of the posts
here that do not relate either to audio or to me, since some here seem
to be obsessed with trashing me, I am not aware of Bret's social or
political views. Frankly, it seems rather odd to me that a usenet
group configured rec.audio.opinion would tolerate a multitude of posts
that are not related to audio. I might as well post something off
topic, anyway, and will note that I am certainly not an anti-
nationalist, myself, although I am painfully aware that the USA,
relative to the rest of the world, is in decline, and will continue to
decline. Well, given global warming, pollution, and overpopulation
issues, the whole planet is in decline. I am glad I do not have to
worry about my non-existent children or grandchildren.

I generally base my opinions of audio gear upon what I have actually
heard (especially components that I have auditioned in my own
listening rooms), although if seriously competent people like
Nousaine, Pierce, Toole, or Rich put for strong opinions about gear I
have not heard I will usually take what they say seriously.

I continue to lament the fact that so many of you here consider me a
fraud, particularly because so many of you have opinions based upon
hearsay and not actually upon having read my books and review and
commentary articles. Say, that situation kind of parallels what you
say about Bret and his non-experience with certain audio components.

Interestingly, the rancor here has often reached such a level that
arguments are based simply upon not liking somebody just because they
are supposed to not be liked. A kne-jerk approach is the norm. Actual
issues relating to audio (dbt analyses, speaker comparing, surround
technologies, design concepts, speaker/room behavior, etc.) are
forgotten and the whole thing boils down to basic animosities in a
kind of Hatfields vs McCoys style that has almost nothing to do with
audio.

This situation is almost painful to acknowledge, and is one reason I
am simply not going to be drawn back into the backbiting series of
insult swapping dialogs this site is notorious for.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Ferstler wrote:

but since I have been
away for some time and have not bothered to even read any of the posts
here that do not relate either to audio or to me, since some here seem
to be obsessed with trashing me, I am not aware of Bret's social or
political views.

That's nuts. I just opened RAO in google groups and nine of ten topics
listed were started by BL. Seven are completely off-topic and the two
remaining are attack posts.

I don't suppose you read RAO by google grouping your name?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Ferstler wrote:

This situation is almost painful to acknowledge, and is one reason I
am simply not going to be drawn back into the backbiting series of
insult swapping dialogs this site is notorious for.

Takes two to swap insults.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 14, 2:14*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 4:09*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

These last few posts of Harold's are the most productive thing he's
done since he filed his last book at the university library.

and about 10x the audio content of your lifes work.

An audio post on RAO and what does Phillips do in spite
of his claimed desire for on-topic posting?
He ****es all over it like an infant in need of potty training.

Your obvious Ferstler envy in every post is almost
nauseating. *Will you ever grow up?

Did you have some audio content to add, 2pid?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 15, 4:40*pm, Ferstler wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

And yet you remain, making daily declarations that you're leaving,
never to return. How sad.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 14, 2:14*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jan 14, 4:09*pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"The people who regularly hang out here need to get a life."

Howard Ferstler

These last few posts of Harold's are the most productive thing he's
done since he filed his last book at the university library.

and about 10x the audio content of your lifes work.

You're just mad that I won't use old beat-up King Crimson and Genesis
LPs to evaluate every piece of equipment like you do.

Actually I'd use the Classic Genesis reissues or the
Crimson anniversary CDs if I chose either.
What I took to the shop was a CD by After Crying
which I'm sure you have no knowledge of as they
are far removed from the bubblegum bands you prefer.

Bubblegum bands? My God, you're ignorant about music, and you're
ignorant about the music I like. I look at one LP at Amoeba and
suddenly I "prefer" it over other types of music? Is that all you
have, you imbecile?

I've seen your entire record collection, however. I know that you
basically like old lumbering '70s prog rock, which is typical of a
50ish guy who still thinks wearing a mullet makes him cool. You have
very narrow tastes in music, which makes you a deadly bore when it
comes to music discussions.

BTW, it was at your place where we listened to Genesis
SEbtP where your anemic bassless speakers left Firth of Fith
woefully unfullfilled.

My anemic bassless speakers? Or the anemic baseless speakers I
happened to be reviewing at the time? There is a difference.

By the way, I've never heard substantial, accurate bass in your house.
So how would you know?

I also remember when you heard the DeVores, you were very smitten.
Were you lying?

An audio post on RAO and what does Phillips do in spite
of his claimed desire for on-topic posting?
He ****es all over it like an infant in need of potty training.

You moron. The post was directed toward Harold's ability to do DIY. I
kept on-topic. It's YOU who is trolling...right here, right now.

Your obvious Ferstler envy in every post is almost
nauseating. *Will you ever grow up?

You have an obvious "envy" fixation. You imagine men are envying your
life (sorry, but they aren't), envying your wife (she's good looking,
but I've had better...

LoL... Even as a sexist pig who thinks he can judge the quality of a
woman by her looks you only manage to reveal what a shallow little
man of no experience you are.

Well, originally I was just being polite to you by saying your wife
was hot. But you're so uber-sensitive that it's obvious you're the
jealous husband type who has to buy her a Mercedes to keep her from
straying. As long as she's such a sensitive topic, we'll know your
marriage is on the rocks.

It's not that your wife is so hot, she's just too hot for you. Or
maybe she just married you during the couple of weeks when mullets
were in vogue.

I'm sure the women of your life agree with you
on one point though....they were had.

Why don't you ask them? I'm sure you'd be surprised at the answer. Not
one of the women in my life think I'm a sexist pig. In fact, the only
people who have ever called me misogynistic or sexist were dweeby
virgins with mullets who still live in their parents' basement, or
guys like you who were able to trick one woman into marrying them and
keep paying on a daily basis to maintain the status quo.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Jan 15, 5:40*pm, Ferstler wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, Boon wrote:

Well, given global warming, pollution, and overpopulation
issues, the whole planet is in decline. I am glad I do not have to
worry about my non-existent children or grandchildren.

And I am sure that your nonexistent grandchildren are equally
overjoyed that
they don't have to change your diapers, an act made even more
difficult
by your ridiculous clown costume.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Boon wrote:

Bubblegum bands?

Stuck in the early seventies.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 16, 11:33*am, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

*Boon wrote:
Bubblegum bands?

Stuck in the early seventies.

Indeed. Plus, he considers The Shins a "bubblegum" band. Compared to
the ultra-serious, pretentious twaddle he listens to, maybe it is.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 16, 11:35*am, ScottW wrote:
On Jan 16, 7:33*am, Boon wrote:

On Jan 16, 9:16*am, ScottW wrote:

My anemic bassless speakers? Or the anemic baseless speakers I
happened to be reviewing at the time? There is a difference.

Both speakers you claimed you owned and bragged about the
great accomodation deal you whored yourself to get on the bassless
DeVores
which you later faudulently claimed were flat to 30 Hz...
and then added with "bass correction"
which you didn't have.

There are several mistakes in this paragraph:

1. Both? I believe you've heard more than two pairs of speakers at my
house.
2. I did not get accommodation pricing on the DeVores, since they
weren't mine. They belonged to Jeff; I simply used them for about 6
months.
3. The DeVores are NOT flat to 30 Hz. I never said they were. They do
measure down to 38 Hz. So you lied.
4. Bass correction? What are you talking about? I've never used bass
correction.

By the way, I've never heard substantial, accurate bass in your house.
So how would you know?

*LoL. *Proving once again what you don't know with fools qualifiers
like substantial.

No. I and everyone else noticed that once your giant Legacy POS hit
below 30 Hz, your walls started to rattle and buzz. You apologized
then, remember? Of course not. That's because you're a lair.

Unless, of course, you want to make a claim that your ESL-63s have
accurate and substantial bass. LoL.

I also remember when you heard the DeVores, you were very smitten.
Were you lying?

*You're confused again.

With the way you continually distort the facts, it's no wonder. But
you asked me to write down the URL for Devore before you left.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

*Boon wrote:
Bubblegum bands?

Stuck in the early seventies.

Indeed. Plus, he considers The Shins a "bubblegum" band. Compared to
the ultra-serious, pretentious twaddle he listens to, maybe it is.

!!!

Well, I haven't seen a Tiger Beat for years, so maybe he's seen them
there.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ferstler Ferstler is offline

On Jan 15, 9:15*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

*Ferstler wrote:
*but since I have been
away for some time and have not bothered to even read any of the posts
here that do not relate either to audio or to me, since some here seem
to be obsessed with trashing me, I am not aware of Bret's social or
political views.

That's nuts. I just opened RAO in google groups and nine of ten topics
listed were started by BL. Seven are completely off-topic and the two
remaining are attack posts.

I don't suppose you read RAO by google grouping your name?

Stephen

No, I have not read RAO for months and just dropped in last week to
take a look around. I saw my name posted in the Google groups listing
and clicked on the tab to see what it was referring to, and made some
comments. I am not going to bother "google grouping" my name. Just not
that interested. I do find it interesting that after several months I
drop in and there is my name mentioned in some post. Hard to believe
that I just happened to stumble onto a post with me as one of the
topics, so I have to conclude that some of you here continue to post
rants and commentaries about Ferstler on a regular basis. Hell, I am
retired. (OK, AudioXpress is continuing to print some of the essays
and reviews I wrote months ago.) Give it a rest and move onto
something else.

As for the obviously non-audio topics BL posted, and my not being
aware of them, if those he posted have nothing to do with audio, I
would not have bothered to take a look at them. Why shouild I, when
this is an audio usenet group? If one wants to discuss politics on and
on they should head to a group that concentrates on politics as a
matter of usenet subject area. Doing it here seems a waste of energy
and time.

Howard Ferstler
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 16, 11:35*am, ScottW wrote:
Both speakers you claimed you owned and bragged about the
great accomodation deal you whored yourself to get on the bassless
DeVores
which you later faudulently claimed were flat to 30 Hz...
and then added with "bass correction"
which you didn't have.

I just realized what you're talking about here. We were listening to
the Zu Druids, and I mentioned that the larger model, the Definition,
sounded its best when a bass equalizer was used. I told you that I had
just visited another audio reviewer who had this set-up--my Yamamoto
45 amp on the midrange and tweeter and a Brinkmann integrated on the
woofers--and was able to get flat bass down to almost 20 Hz. You
seemed very interested in this setup and asked me a lot of questions.

Five years later, you've twisted this so that it applies to the
DeVores.

See, this is the problem with you, Scott. You simply cannot be trusted
to tell the truth. So you're either a liar (which you are, since I
constantly catch you telling whoppers), or you have a serious mental
handicap that prevents you from remembering things correctly.

Which is it, moron?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

*Ferstler wrote:
*but since I have been
away for some time and have not bothered to even read any of the posts
here that do not relate either to audio or to me, since some here seem
to be obsessed with trashing me, I am not aware of Bret's social or
political views.

That's nuts. I just opened RAO in google groups and nine of ten topics
listed were started by BL. Seven are completely off-topic and the two
remaining are attack posts.

I don't suppose you read RAO by google grouping your name?

Stephen

No, I have not read RAO for months and just dropped in last week to
take

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

never to return. How sad.- Hide quoted text -

One of the interesting things about RAO (and I suppose other sites
that appeal to back biters and those with not much else to do) is that
the regulars make a point of posting insulting and insinuating
comments in the hope of roping certain other participants into a
lengthy and pointless series of insult swaps. I believe they do this,
because they are lonely and even insult swapping makes them feel
wanted.

I hate to disappoint you, but even though I have hung around a bit
longer than I intended, I do not intend to let your terminal comments
about me get a running battle going. What I have done is make some
points here that might give some of the newcomers an idea of just what
you regulars are like.

So, I leave the field to you and your misanthrope companions.

Howard Ferstler

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Ferstler wrote:

As for the obviously non-audio topics BL posted, and my not being
aware of them, if those he posted have nothing to do with audio, I
would not have bothered to take a look at them. Why shouild I, when
this is an audio usenet group?

Perhaps to avoid putting your foot in your mouth in future by praising
him for being on-topic.

If one wants to discuss politics on and
on they should head to a group that concentrates on politics as a
matter of usenet subject area. Doing it here seems a waste of energy
and time.

If there were more audio, there would be more room for off-topic posting.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 15, 4:49*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

Goodbye again, Harold, for the fifteenth time this week. How many
times can the doorknob hit you in the ass before you see what a
buffoon you are?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 16, 1:25*pm, Boon wrote:

See, this is the problem with you, Scott. You simply cannot be trusted
to tell the truth. So you're either a liar (which you are, since I
constantly catch you telling whoppers), or you have a serious mental
handicap that prevents you from remembering things correctly.

Which is it, moron?

Can I venture a guess?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 16, 2:27*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Jan 16, 1:25*pm, Boon wrote:

See, this is the problem with you, Scott. You simply cannot be trusted
to tell the truth. So you're either a liar (which you are, since I
constantly catch you telling whoppers), or you have a serious mental
handicap that prevents you from remembering things correctly.

Which is it, moron?

Can I venture a guess?

Let me guess...lying moron?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Buffoon burbled:

How many times ... what a buffoon you are?

Pot. Kettle. Etc.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Liar Liar Pants On Fire Vinylsnatch Again

I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members.

Um, Harold...Bret is a blatant white supremacist who has been spamming
this NG for quite some time with his *"nationalist" propaganda. If you
think that's sane and honest, then you've sunk even lower than anyone
imagined.

On the other hand, he also tends to offer opinions of stereo gear
(i.e. Harbeth, Koetsu) that he has never heard, and then lies about
having heard them at nameless audio salons. That makes you two audio
frauds quite the matched pair.

You know, V'n'l's'n'h, part of your problem is pure snobbery. Just
because I live smack dab in the heart of flyover country you think I
must not have access to such as Harbeth and Koetsu. Well, I live in
the south end of a county packed full of doctors and lawyers and
corporate executives and high roller sales types...(most) all of whom
are yuppieish ****tards to compete with Orange and Westchester. There
are historical reasons for this, try Googling the names "Pendergast"
and "J.C.Nichols".

Kansas City is a minor league town to be sure, on the whole, but like
Nashville it has a bunch of New Affluence and a core of old banker
money types. Since the end of Pendergast (Google also "That Goddamned
Neck Tie Salesman", a fellow named Harry S (no period-just the letter
S) Truman.) some of them went back to Missouri, but most are in a
little patch just outside both Missouri and outside the reach of
Kansas City, KS. It's big enough to effectively keep one house of the
state legislature in check , and does just exactly what it-that is,
the real estate developers, doctors, and lawyers-want it to do.

But another part is sheer deviousness. You know that I am a white
nationalist, NOT a white supremacist, and that I started posting tasty
tidbits liberals don't like in response to liberal political harping
and spamming. I was perfectly happy to discuss audio, provided it was
audio and not look-at-my-expensive-name-brand-substitute-penis we were
discussing.

You know, your behavior here is what cost you the ToneAudio gig, and
you haven't learned. Atkinson posts here, which I certainly wouldn't
in his position, but he generally knows better to get in public
****ing matches with wascally wascists.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Liar Liar Pants On Fire Ludwig Again

On Jan 17, 1:59*am, Bret L wrote:
I will answer you, because you post a valid question and seem
considerably more sane and honest than most of the other site members..

Um, Harold...Bret is a blatant white supremacist who has been spamming
this NG for quite some time with his *"nationalist" propaganda. If you
think that's sane and honest, then you've sunk even lower than anyone
imagined.

On the other hand, he also tends to offer opinions of stereo gear
(i.e. Harbeth, Koetsu) that he has never heard, and then lies about
having heard them at nameless audio salons. That makes you two audio
frauds quite the matched pair.

*You know, V'n'l's'n'h, part of your problem is pure snobbery. Just
because I live smack dab in the heart of flyover country you think I
must not have access to such as Harbeth and Koetsu.

That's a lie. I think you don't have access to Harbeth and Koetsu
because whenever you bash those brands, you can't even name a model
number, or where you listened to them, or what the rest of the system
contained. It's only after I badger you that you come up with some
quick lie that you can't back up.

Well, I live in
the south end of a county packed full of doctors and lawyers and
corporate executives and high roller sales types...(most) all of whom
are yuppieish ****tards to compete with Orange and Westchester. There
are historical reasons for this, try Googling the names "Pendergast"
and "J.C.Nichols".

This has nothing to do with anything. I happen to know that you live
near Acoustic Sounds, and since I know most of the principles there
it's very easy for me to check your story out.

[...]

Well, no. You're spamming the group with OT topics and that's against
the Usenet. This is a black and white issue. You're in the wrong,
period.

*You know, your behavior here is what cost you the ToneAudio gig, and
you haven't learned.

That would be another blatant lie. Nothing "cost" me the TONEAudio
gig. I left on my own to pursue something else. End of story.

Atkinson posts here, which I certainly wouldn't
in his position, but he generally knows better to get in public
****ing matches with wascally wascists.

Well, he's gotten into some ****ing matches here, but at the same time
he's always been a gentleman.

I, on the other hand, no longer have any professional ties to the
audio community, so offensive Nazi trailer scum like yourself can kiss
my hairy ass if you don't like what I say on RAO.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

BaBoon howled:

You know, your behavior here is what cost you the ToneAudio gig

Nothing "cost" me the TONEAudio gig. I left on my own to pursue something
else. End of story.

Another career "choice" down the toilet.

Just another one in a long string of many.

So, what else is new?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Jan 16, 1:25*pm, Boon wrote:

See, this is the problem with you, Scott. You simply cannot be trusted
to tell the truth. So you're either a liar (which you are, since I
constantly catch you telling whoppers), or you have a serious mental
handicap that prevents you from remembering things correctly.

Which is it, moron?

Can I venture a guess?

Let me guess...lying moron?

Um, "Imbecile" was what I was thinking, but close enough... :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
On Jan 16, 1:25*pm, Boon wrote:

See, this is the problem with you, Scott. You simply cannot be trusted
to tell the truth. So you're either a liar (which you are, since I
constantly catch you telling whoppers), or you have a serious mental
handicap that prevents you from remembering things correctly.

Which is it, moron?

Can I venture a guess?

Let me guess...lying moron?

Um, "Imbecile" was what I was thinking, but close enough... :-)

Lying imbecilic moron?

Or moronically imbecilic liar?

Or moronically lying imbecile?

I vote for #3. It flows better.