Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Ronsfat: Arpaio 'Sadistic'

(( Ronsfat, you are high if you think people have a RIGHT to break US
law and come here illegally. What the **** do you think would happen
if any random person in Arizona illegally crossed the border the other
way and decided to work, or do anything else? You damn right the
Mexicans would throw him in jail. Probably give his gringo ass a good
whipping too for the sport of it, like they whip ass on the
Guatemalans and Hondurans and Salvadorans they catch crossing THEIR
southern border illegally. So pack your fat ass up and go back to LA.
Bret.))

Linda Ronstadt Calls Joe Arpaio "a Sadistic Man," Will Participate in
Anti-Arpaio Human Rights March Saturday, January 16

By Stephen Lemons in Feathered *******

Tucson native Linda Ronstadt joins the fight against Joe this January
16

"In a conversation this morning via phone, Tucson native and rock legend Linda Ronstadt denounced Sheriff Joe Arpaio's reign of tyranny in Maricopa County and promised to march alongside thousands of activists planning to converge on Phoenix this Saturday, January 16 for a National Day of Action, which will include a walk to Arpaio's jails and a rally and concert afterwards.

The Grammy-winning recording artist, whose career has spanned four
decades and multiple genres, said she was moved by the situation in
Arizona and Arpaio's abuses of power to participate in the
demonstration, which is being organized in large part by the
California-based National Day Laborer Organizing Network and Phoenix
civil rights activist Sal Reza's Puente Movement.

"He's a sadistic man," said Ronstadt of Arpaio. "He doesn't have great
respect for the law. I come from a police family. My brother was the
chief of police in Tucson for many years, a real law man...He was the
one who made me understand that when the law is unevenly applied or
badly applied, it weakens all law. That's what's very concerning about
Sheriff Arpaio."

Ronstadt, who maintains a home in Tucson where she lives part of the
year, cited Arpaio's raids against the undocumented, his mistreatment
of prisoners in his custody, and the deaths in his jails as reasons
for criticizing him. She also blasted Arpaio's police state tactics
against those who speak out against his iron rule.

"Any of us could be snatched off the street without a warrant because
of the way Arpaio is applying the law," noted Ronstadt. "He's had
people go and arrest Republicans that have opposed him...They have
these trumped up charges, and then later on they go, `Oh well, I guess
we weren't right about these charges.' By then the damage is done and
people are terrified of him. That's what happens in places...where
they have dictators."

The lady once dubbed the Queen of Rock described at length her deep
roots in southern Arizona. Her paternal grandfather Fred Ronstadt was
born in Mexico and emigrated to the U.S. during the 19th Century to
apprentice at wagon making. (The Ronstadt family name is German, she
said, and is indicative of the European settlers who migrated to
Mexico and intermarried with locals.)
Fred Ronstadt later owned a large hardware store in downtown Tucson,
which closed in the 1970s. Linda Ronstadt grew up eating tamales
during Christmas and singing family songs in Spanish. She eventually
turned these songs into an album she released in 1987 called
"Canciones De Mi Padre," or "Songs of My Father," a huge commercial
success for her.

Ronstadt said she's always considered herself to be Mexican-American.
This family history and her ties to the state give Ronstadt further
motivation to join the protesters against Arpaio in mid-January.

"I have a couple of dogs in this fight," she stated. "I love Arizona.
I've always been very proud of being from Arizona. I don't want this
awful man to make me ashamed that I'm from this state or that I'm from
a law enforcement family. I don't want to be ashamed of that. I want
to be proud of that. He's making me ashamed of it. I'd like for him to
stop. I'd like for the people of Maricopa County to wake up and see
what they're doing, because there are going to be repercussions from
this. Eventually there will have to be some action taken if they keep
returning [Arpaio] to office, a boycott or a strike."

Of particular concern to Ronstadt is the treatment of the undocumented
and Arizona's prison industrial complex, which she sees as
intertwined. She perceives the prison lobby as yet another lobby like
"the beer industry or the gambling industry," which makes enormous
profits from the criminalization of the undocumented. For the prison
industry, someone like Arpaio is a godsend, Ronstadt contended.

Ronstadt said she's also been to the Arizona-Mexico border and to the
Arizona desert with individuals working with organizations like No
More Deaths. She decried the current economic situation which forces
Mexicans to risk death in the desert for the hope of survival in the
U.S.

"They're contributing in tremendous ways to the economy up here,"
Ronstadt commented of Mexican migrants, "and to the labor force. And
people are taking advantage of them, and then treating them like dirt,
and throwing them back over the border.

"I've held a woman in my arms crying and sobbing at the border because
she wanted to get back to her children. She was willing to do anything
she had to do to get back across the border and get back to her child,
like any good mother would."

The result of this situation, asserted Ronstadt, is a "permanent
underclass" that "has to resort to crime to survive." The solution
must include a pathway to legalization for the undocumented.

"There has to be some kind of a fair way for them to get citizenship
or work permits," she told me. "These are decent, hardworking people
who want to live fully in the limits of the law. They don't want to
live outside the law. That's much more difficult. They're here. It's a
fact. We're not going to keep them out. So we have to figure out how
to make it legal for them [to be here]."

Unlike many pro-immigrant activists, Ronstadt declined to criticize
the Obama administration's policy towards America's estimated 12
million undocumented, claiming that Obama has his hands tied by
Congress and cannot "wave a magic wand" over the issue. She also
dismissed concerns that her participation in the march would make her
a target for right-wing and nativist attacks.

"You have to stand up for what is right, otherwise bad stuff just
overwhelms the whole process," she insisted. "You have to stand up and
say, `This is wrong.' I'm going to stand in solidarity with these
people. They have a right to have humane treatment."

On January 16, Ronstadt is expected to join UFW icon Dolores Huerta,
and Rage Against the Machine/One Day as a Lion frontman Zack de la
Rocha, in a walk from Phoenix's Falcon Park to Arpaio's jail complex
near Durango Street and 35th Avenue. There, organizers intend to march
around the jails, then end with a rally that will include a
performance by the Tejano act Little Joe y La Familia.

Ronstadt said she helped garner the inclusion of Little Joe y La
Familia in the event, calling them, "one of my favorite acts in the
music business." She left open the possibility that she might join
them in song at the end of the march.

"It depends on whether or not we have time to rehearse," Ronstadt
explained. "I've never performed with [Little Joe]...but if I can,
I'll get up and sing a song with him. I just want to go, to show up
and show my [opposition to Arpaio]. He's not a good lawman. He's
breaking the law and making the law weak. People in Maricopa County
need to realize this."

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bas...joe_arpaio.php