Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Great find at church

I don't attend church but I happened to be cutting through a parking
lot in Kansas City, KS this afternoon and saw an old organ being
hauled out by a couple of guys, one in clerical garb. I stopped to ask
about it, because it was old, and it turned out to be an old tube Conn
they kept in the basement for the organ instruction program they had.
It had died and they were getting rid of it. I told them that there
were a ton of good parts in these and that they ought to put it on
eBay for parts, such as the amplifier (everyone wants those) plus the
Pratt Read AGO keyboards, the power supply, and of course the wood.

They commented that they had a ton of old parts the old organ guy,
who died, left in the nave attic and I was welcome to as many as I
wanted, so long as that was all of them.

I wound up calling in late for work.

I got four caddies packed with good tubes plus a ton of manuals and
books, not musty and clean. Two brand new UTC transformers in box, and
several pieces of test equipment like an old Simpson VTVM and an Eico
signal tracer, plus a Strobotuner, the little brown one. Oh, and the
piece de resistance, a OEM solid state McIntosh amp for a Maas Rowe
carillion.

They also had a classic 16mm Kodak film projector with a tube amp for
sound in a tweed case. That was part of the deal too.

They said if you want it take it, I told them that anything I didn't
use myself I would sell and give them the profit. They said fine, they
just wanted to get rid of all that junk.

All I can say is, the Lord works in mysterious ways. I didn't take
the organ, but I found a guy that would, and I got a truckfull of
mostly good stuff. I intend to keep my end of the bargain and donate
anything I make from what I don't use to them.