Posted to rec.audio.opinion
crmay crmay is offline

Default Electronic Keyboard

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a keyboard for use with my computer. I'm hoping
someone can recommend a keyboard that is mainly designed for an
external mixer/amp rather than something on-board. I'm looking for a
just a keyboard, weighted etc, but not with any extras, just the
keyboard.

Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Cheers,
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
crmay wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a keyboard for use with my computer. I'm hoping
someone can recommend a keyboard that is mainly designed for an
external mixer/amp rather than something on-board. I'm looking for a
just a keyboard, weighted etc, but not with any extras, just the
keyboard.

Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Yamaha. I use the P-85. Or Casio Privia. Not M-Audio.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson[_2_] John Atkinson[_2_] is offline

On Dec 23, 10:44*am, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,
*crmay wrote:
Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Yamaha. I use the P-85. Or Casio Privia. Not M-Audio.

I use an M-Audio MIDI keyboard, Stephen. Is there something
I should know?

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Non-keyboard player

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

*crmay wrote:
Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Yamaha. I use the P-85. Or Casio Privia. Not M-Audio.

I use an M-Audio MIDI keyboard, Stephen. Is there something
I should know?

I should have been more specific! I meant the very cheap sprung
controllers available at the Apple Store. I was prepared for the less
than even touch but I was disappointed by the ciphers and silent notes
that developed within a few months. Presumably the "graded hammer
action" on the more expensive M-Audios is better.

I see my model has been discontinued and I haven't tried the
replacements because the Yamaha does everything I need it to.

It also wasn't clear whether the OP needed on-board sounds or not.

I just took a look at The Midi-Store.

http://www.midi-store.com/M-Audio-Pr...1-p-17938.html

Today's cheap keyboard comes with:

* 2-in/2-out audio interface
* 16-bit/44.1kHz (CD-quality) audio
* XLR microphone, 1/4" instrument and RCA inputs
* 1/4" jacks for stereo line output
* dual front-mounted headphone jacks
* hardware direct monitoring

I guess the guts of your run-of-the-mill USB interface are so cheap they
can be included without raising the price too much.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
crmay crmay is offline

On Dec 24, 2:19*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

*crmay wrote:
[...]

Thanks Guys!

The P-85 looks like just what I'm after, a bit expensive but has the
features I wanted. The M-Audio is more in my price range, but i did
want more keys. The sound card i have has an optional midi interface,
thought i think the best bet is to purchase a USB-MIDI cable.

I've played with FL Studio and it seems great, but a demo of Cakewalk
really impressed me. I just enjoy music, not looking to perform so
the cost of the software is a major factor. Can anyone suggest a good
software package?

Cheers,

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
crmay wrote:

Thanks Guys!

The P-85 looks like just what I'm after, a bit expensive but has the
features I wanted. The M-Audio is more in my price range, but i did
want more keys. The sound card i have has an optional midi interface,
thought i think the best bet is to purchase a USB-MIDI cable.

I've played with FL Studio and it seems great, but a demo of Cakewalk
really impressed me. I just enjoy music, not looking to perform so
the cost of the software is a major factor. Can anyone suggest a good
software package?

I'm still learning the Garageband program that came with the computer!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson[_2_] John Atkinson[_2_] is offline

On Dec 23, 10:19*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,
*crmay wrote:
Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Yamaha. I use the P-85. Or Casio Privia. Not M-Audio.

I use an M-Audio MIDI keyboard, Stephen. Is there something
I should know?

I should have been more specific! I meant the very cheap sprung
controllers available at the Apple Store. I was prepared for the less
than even touch but I was disappointed by the ciphers and silent
notes that developed within a few months.

Ah, I don't use it nearly enough to have encountered those
problems.

Presumably the "graded hammer action" on the more
expensive M-Audios is better.

Stereophile reviewer Bob Reina uses a touch-sensitive Yamaha,
which he swears is close to the real thing. (He uses Kurweil
samples that also sound rremarkably natural.) Go to
http://www.stereophile.com/musicreco...phile_jazz_cd/
and scroll down the page to see the Yamaha in action.

Happy Holidays, Stephen, and to all other r.a.o.ers

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

*crmay wrote:
Can someone please recommend a keyboard/brand for this purpose?

Yamaha. I use the P-85. Or Casio Privia. Not M-Audio.

I use an M-Audio MIDI keyboard, Stephen. Is there something
I should know?

I should have been more specific! I meant the very cheap sprung
controllers available at the Apple Store. I was prepared for the less
than even touch but I was disappointed by the ciphers and silent
notes that developed within a few months.

Ah, I don't use it nearly enough to have encountered those
problems.

Store it flat! At first I only used it for arranging, not performance,
but eventually I needed to play things in for time's sake.

http://www.stereophile.com/musicreco..._stereophile_j
azz_cd/
and scroll down the page to see the Yamaha in action.

That's the advantage of a good controller: enabling the pursuit of
ever-better samples.

Happy Holidays, Stephen, and to all other r.a.o.ers

Same to all!

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,

*crmay wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John. Right back to you and yours.