Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Sooloos

I got my first opportunity to play with Sooloos recently.

Is it neat? Well, yeah. But it is what it is, commodisumo computer
hardware in chic, trendy styling with a dedicated embedded OS (I never
could figure out what it runs, so it is well embedded: My guess is
some flavor of Linux or QNX.) It's a nicer software package than what
can be bought for standalone hardware.

Worth the money? Well, if you have a LOT of money maybe. But a iMac
with some good custom software and a couple of good outboard DACs and
distribution amps, could do as much a lot cheaper. I doubt whether
you could have that software written for the same cost as a Sooloos,
but if Sooloos succeeds, it should provide some inspiration, and in
that sense it's a good thing. Plus, I have to admit that even for
chic, trendy styling hardware, it IS well styled indeed.

And, as a former and current Blad user I like the square format
screen.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Dec 20, 3:09*am, Bret L wrote:
[...]

Best of all, they're coming up with cheaper versions in the future.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Boon wrote:

Best of all, they're coming up with cheaper versions in the future.

If iTunes were more convenient, could an Apple TV and a DAC do the trick
for cheapskates?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

If iTunes were more convenient, could an Apple TV and a DAC do the trick
for cheapskates?

That will work - The Apple TV has wireless connectitivy and an optical
out so you can feed a DAC of your choice.

You won't get the slick touch-screen interface of the Sooloos, but
functionally it shouldn't be much different.

However, if you are controlling it via iTunes anyway, why not just get
an Airport Express? It's cheaper, also has an optical out and can be
remotely controlled by any computer running iTunes (or an iPod touch or
iPhone using the free "Remote" software).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
hophead wrote:

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

If iTunes were more convenient, could an Apple TV and a DAC do the trick
for cheapskates?

That will work - The Apple TV has wireless connectitivy and an optical
out so you can feed a DAC of your choice.

You won't get the slick touch-screen interface of the Sooloos, but
functionally it shouldn't be much different.

However, if you are controlling it via iTunes anyway, why not just get
an Airport Express? It's cheaper, also has an optical out and can be
remotely controlled by any computer running iTunes (or an iPod touch or
iPhone using the free "Remote" software).

I was considering file storage and future video usage. I do actually
have an AirPort in the kitchen system. It works fine when my girlfriend
is home with the iPhone.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

I was considering file storage and future video usage. I do actually
have an AirPort in the kitchen system. It works fine when my girlfriend
is home with the iPhone.

In which case, I think the Apple TV is a great idea. It's pretty
affordable, includes a 160GB disk (and I believe you can attach more
storage). You can use it with an external DAC and does have HDMI for
output to a high-def TV.

I think I'm talking myself into buying one...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
hophead wrote:

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

I was considering file storage and future video usage. I do actually
have an AirPort in the kitchen system. It works fine when my girlfriend
is home with the iPhone.

In which case, I think the Apple TV is a great idea. It's pretty
affordable, includes a 160GB disk (and I believe you can attach more
storage). You can use it with an external DAC and does have HDMI for
output to a high-def TV.

I think I'm talking myself into buying one...

I know how that goes! The tv system has a modern receiver so I wouldn't
need another DAC. The only system missing out would be the main hifi. Go
figure.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

In article ,
hophead wrote:

[ ...]

In which case, I think the Apple TV is a great idea. It's pretty
affordable, includes a 160GB disk (and I believe you can attach more
storage). You can use it with an external DAC and does have HDMI for
output to a high-def TV.

I think I'm talking myself into buying one...

I know how that goes! The tv system has a modern receiver so I wouldn't
need another DAC. The only system missing out would be the main hifi. Go
figure.

That would be my situation, too. My main hi-fi is a 2 channel system, no
TV. I do have a dedicated 5.1 system as well, and that's where the Apple
TV would go. I guess I'll pony up for an Apple TV and an Airport Express
to feed the 2 channel rig...