Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Immigration Moratorium

((The capable people in Mexico mostly have stayed there. The
campesinos uprooted by NAFTA and by their own genitals-they want to
have more mestizitos, the better to crap up American sidewalks with
their ****ty diapers-are the brownest and stupidest Mexicans and the
Mexican elite has encouraged them to come here. The elites here see
them as a way to keep wages down and the general size and scope of
government up. Bret.))

“Climate Change”, “Population Change”, And The Need For An Immigration
Moratorium

By Steve Sailer

"The President is about roar off to Copenhagen in his personal 747 jumbo jet to raise awareness, in a December 9 speech, of how carbon emissions lead to Climate Change—the cause formerly known as “Global Warming”.

But while the President gears up his campaign for Climate Change
awareness in Denmark, a Population Change anti-awareness campaign has
long been in full swing in America.

The acid test of the sincerity of Climate Change activists: do they
publicly demand a U.S immigration moratorium to keep carbon emissions
from increasing?

A few environmentalists pass this test proudly. For example,
Californians for Population Stabilization has started a new ad
campaign. Their press release says:

“The campaign recognizes immigration as the number one factor driving
U.S. population growth and makes the point that when immigrants settle
in the U.S. their energy use quickly becomes Americanized. As a
result, immigrants’ carbon emissions skyrocket. The result is a
quadrupling of immigrants’ carbon footprint compared to the amount of
carbon emissions they produced in their home countries.”

Mexicans don’t illegally immigrate to avoid starvation. The average
life expectancy in Mexico is over 76 years. Instead, the major
motivations for sneaking into America include: the hope of owning a
big truck or SUV; and to have more kids than you could afford to have
in your own country. The current total fertility rate in Mexico is
2.34 babies per woman per lifetime—versus 3.7 babies among immigrant
Latinas in California.

But, alas, the vast majority of those who claim that carbon emissions
is the overwhelming issue of our age fail this test of good faith
flatly.

On the other hand, their dishonesty doesn’t guarantee that they aren’t
right about carbon and global warming. Global warming true believers
seem, on the whole, like the kind of people who would be more likely
to be right about something for bad reasons than for good reasons.

As you may have noticed from the above, I normally don’t have much to
say about climate change. I’m sort of an agnostic.

I know enough about statistics to realize how much effort would be
required for me to develop an opinion worth expressing. Nor is it
obvious that, even if I invested years of work, I would be able to add
much value to the discussion.

After all, both sides in the debate over anthropogenic global warming
debate are lavishly funded.

Thus the participants have much to lose if the numbers don’t come out
the way they want. This is demonstrated by the Climategate scandal, in
which a skeptical whistleblower leaked embarrassing emails from the
prestigious Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia.

I do instinctively admire much of the Burkean-sounding rhetoric used
by Climate Change activists: “sustainability”; cautiousness about the
future; a concern for the long-term impact of millions of small
action; a regard for the welfare of posterity.

Yet why are those Climate Change insights so seldom applied to the
question of Population Change?

So I’ve decided to devote my time to Population Change. It’s an issue
that is at least comparable in long-term importance to Climate Change.
The changing makeup of the population has far-reaching ramifications
that deserve well-informed public discussion. But, of course, that’s
not a fashionable view on either the Left or the corporate Right.

Unlike with Climate Change, there’s almost no debate over the numbers
with Population Change. The government collects voluminous statistics
about the present that are, at minimum, good enough for government
work, and make plausible demographic projections about the future.

Nor do I have to worry much about my rivals in the Population Change
debate. While the other side enjoys unlimited access to the media, it
simply prefers demonizing to debating.

Quantifying what you can see with your own eyes makes you a bad person
these days. A nice person, one who believes in climate change, has
faith in the power of things unseen.

To serve my country, I just have to have a thick enough hide to
withstand rage-filled respectable conduits of the reigning dogmas
screaming “How dare you?” at me.

Mostly, I just have to dare.

Moreover, the data, both governmental and academic, merely confirm
what’s visible to anyone with eyes to see. In contrast, the scariest
prediction of Al Gore and Co.—that the ice caps will melt, causing the
seas to rise and inundate us—is not at all obvious from just using
your eyes.

I went for a walk on a Southern California beach recently, and
couldn’t see any evidence of the ocean level rising.

That doesn’t mean ocean levels aren’t—or at least won’t start—rising
Real Soon Now. But it does mean that it’s not at all obvious.

And, as Sherlock Holmes pointed out, you have to notice the dogs that
aren’t barking.

For example, are California surfers complaining that rising seas are
wiping out beaches, or deepening the water over underwater reefs that
cause famous breaks like the Pipeline in Orange County?

Not that I’m aware of.

Are rich, white liberal environmental activists who live on the beach
in Malibu, such as David Geffen, fleeing to the High Desert?

No.

Walking the beach recently after a rain shower, I didn’t notice any
For Sale signs on the zillionaires’ homes forty yards from the surf.
Indeed, in California, home prices have proven much more resilient in
direct proportion to how close they are to the ocean’s edge, while
they’ve plummeted in the high and dry Inland Empire.

This is not to say that there’s nothing to worry about from Climate
Change. Yet what people seem to actually be affected by, as
demonstrated in real estate prices, is Population Change.

The Mortgage Meltdown is closely linked to population change. For
example, the correlation for the 20 biggest California metropolitan
areas between minority share of subprime mortgages in 2006 and
foreclosure rates in 2009 was a stratospheric r = 0.89.

California has already been inundated, fiscally, by the rising tide of
population change.

But only evil people like me are aware of that—and dare to tell the
rest of America."

http://www.vdare.com/sailer/091203_climate_change.htm