Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Football, Alumni, Race And IQ

Football, Alumni, Race And IQ

By Steve Sailer

"I often complain that the America's foreign policy would be better off if there were hotshot college football teams in New York City and Washington D.C. to absorb more of the competitive energies of NYC / DC elites into bribing high school cornerbacks rather than into waging war for sheep grazing rights in the Karakorum.

Today, the Washington Post has articles about how the coaches of two
of the nearest big time college football teams, U. of Virginia and U.
of Maryland, have their heads on the chopping blocks because alumni
are sore about losing seasons.

The Virginia story at least mentions talent issues:

On the morning of Jan. 5, 2001, University of Virginia President
John Casteen uttered two words -- national championship -- that
established a lofty goal for Al Groh, even before Groh could provide
his first comments as Virginia's newly named head coach. ...

"As long as it takes us to get players like I saw on television
the other night," Groh said that day, when asked how quickly Virginia
can become a national power. "We saw the other night that Florida
State can be beat if you get the players Oklahoma got." ...

"I think everyone was excited nine years ago," said Shawn Moore, a
former all-American quarterback at Virginia. "But if you ask any alum
today, they will tell you that they are extremely disappointed that
the program has not gone to that next level, has not taken that next
step."... "There's no way that we should not be competing for an ACC
title," Moore said. "There's a ton of athletes playing in the NFL
right now with University of Virginia degrees. I truly believe that
with all the things we have in place now -- the facilities, the new
stadium, the new locker room, all the things we've added in the last
10 years, we should be competing with Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech,
Alabama. We should be competing on that level." If Saturday is Groh's
final game as head coach, he will not need to look far to realize what
went wrong. When asked why his program has trouble winning at home in
recent seasons, Groh answered bluntly: "talent." The answer was not
much different when discussing the difference between winning and
losing seasons.
There's so many components that go into winning, but certainly the
key one that you start with is talent," Groh said. "And the more top-
end talent -- that is playmaking talent, guys who can just make the
play -- that makes the difference."

...The slide started after the 2005 season. Virginia had been to
four consecutive bowl games and won three of them. Groh lost four
members of his coaching staff before the offseason: offensive
coordinator Ron Prince to Kansas State, defensive coordinator Al
Golden to Temple, associate head coach/outside linebackers coach Danny
Rocco to Liberty and inside linebackers/special teams coach Mark
D'Onofrio, who followed Golden to Temple. The problems were
exacerbated when the Cavaliers' 2006 recruiting class included eight
players, out of 24, who were not admitted into school that year. Only
two of those eight ended up attending Virginia, creating a gap on the
roster.

Then the Cavaliers ran into disciplinary and academic issues, and
saw players depart early for the NFL draft. Sewell and cornerback
Chris Cook, both key players on this season's team, missed the 2008
seasons because of academics. Standout defensive end Jeffrey
Fitzgerald transferred to Kansas State because of an academic issue.
Heralded recruits J'Courtney Williams and Mike Brown were dismissed
for disciplinary reasons. Offensive lineman Branden Albert and wide
receiver Kevin Ogletree both left Charlottesville early for the NFL.

However, no departure was more costly than Peter Lalich, who was
the best pro-style quarterback recruited during Groh's tenure. Lalich
was dismissed from the team last season while facing legal issues
[underage drinking], leaving the team without a long-term answer at
quarterback. ...

"There are a lot of alums who are extremely disappointed that we
can't even win the in-state recruiting battle right now," Moore said.
"And Virginia Tech has owned Virginia eight of the last nine
years."....

"Coaches with schemes but without talent," Groh said that day,
"quickly become unimportant coaches." As Groh enters what is likely
his final game as head coach, he could see his words come true.

One thing the article doesn't mention is that U. of Virginia has a
mean SAT score of 1326, one of the highest for any public university
in the country. Maryland's is about 50-60 points lower, but still
pretty good for a state flagship university, and flagships are much
harder to get into than a generation ago. To win a college football
national championship, you need a whole lot of players who have no
business being in college except to play football.

Similarly, Charlie Weis of Notre Dame has his job on the line, too,
with talk of the college paying him $18 million to go away if they
lose to Stanford on Saturday. (Nice work if you can get it.) The
Fighting Irish, 6-5, have had a very entertaining season, with
numerous thrilling victories and defeats, but alumni don't want
entertainment, they don't want equality, they don't want
egalitarianism, they just want what Genghis Khan wanted from life.

But the University of Notre Dame has used its football reputation to
build a strong academic institution. And that means it can't recruit
the kind of players it takes to win national championships. One
insider said that if the ND coach brought the current admissions
office the files of the stars of ND's last national championship team
in 1988, they would set them on fire.

Nowadays, ND can recruit a lot of good offensive players, but not too
many top defensive players, so it plays a lot of 33-31 games. The over-
under on ND-Stanford is 64.5 points.

On defense, "talent" pretty much is synonymous with "speed times
weight." Speed basically means blacks which means lower SAT scores.
Notre Dame legend Paul Hornung pointed that simple truth out on the
radio a half decade ago:

"We can't stay as strict as we are as far as the academic
structure is concerned because we've got to get the black athletes. We
must get the black athletes if we're going to compete."

Hornung then got fired from his job broadcasting Notre Dame gams after
the New York Times raised a stink.

They fired Paul Hornung for being honest with the public.

Football's not like basketball, where Duke can compete for the
national championship with a team of whites, mixed race kids like
Shane Battier, and mostly upscale blacks like Grant Hill. College
football teams are huge. Alabama, for example, has 109 players on its
roster.

It costs a lot of money to keep a huge number of fast/huge kids
eligible. And it helps if the school just isn't that tough in the
first place. Alabama's mean SAT score is around 1100, a standard
deviation lower than U. of Va.'s.

Florida's SAT scores are quite high, but, presumably, they are willing
to do what it takes to win at football.

You might think that secondary state schools with lower average SAT
scores, like Florida State, Auburn, or Texas A&M, would be a better
fit for football players than state flagship schools like Florida,
Alabama, and Texas. But, it usually doesn't work that way because
flagship schools tend to have richer alumni.

It's kind of like diversity crisis at the Coast Guard Academy. We
aren't supposed to talk about the Inevitable Logic of Diversity -- if
the Naval Academy takes in more maritime-oriented blacks in the name
of Diversity, there will be fewer for the Coast Guard Academy -- so
nobody understands the Logic of Diversity.

It's also like the two Academies in that one reason the Coast Guard
Academy doesn't have affirmative action in admissions is because it
doesn't play big time college football.

Basically, the battle for the national championship in college
football comes down to who is willing to a tradeoff between the SAT
score of the students versus the SAT score of the football team."

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/...i-race-and-iq/