Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default GO BNP!

GO BNP!

Posted by Bob on November 20, 2009 at 5:14 am

"The BNP just won a biggie in the last elections.

I would like to see bumper stickers saying, “Isn’t there room in the
WHOLE WORLD for ONE British Culture?” This is the obvious answer to
“multiculturalism,” at least obvious to ME.

Some 22% of Britons say they will “consider” voting BNP. When you
realize that means “Nazi” in every publication they read, that is
quite a large number.

Someone once asked me what I would advise some European party to do,
since I am a recognized political expert. I replied, “I would advice
that Party to let me live in that country for a few years.”

I haven’t been keeping up with British politics. I get a free National
Review every two weeks, and they were terrified by the BNP’s
breakthrough in this last election. Anything respectable conservatives
hate deserves a second look. William Buckley was the only national
commentator to endorse Europe’s prison-for Hate Laws.

But if I understand British politics somewhat, it is hard for an
American to understand how MUCH government they have. So Griffin may
talk about housing, which strikes us as a non-issue, but the British
Government has responsibilities in housing which would astound an
American.

I am always open to correction on this point.

Also, we underestimate the amount of control government has here
because of federalism. Britain is centralized, which means that, in
theory, every law is made in London. This is largely still true
theoretically despite the Scottish Parliament and the European
Parliament. I think that has had an affect on our psychology. Our
governments tell us where we can live, what the interest rates will
be, where our stores will be, and all that.

But it looks different to us when the head of government directly
addresses housing, for example. The British are comfortable with “the
government” handling all these things whereas we fool ourselves by
saying that there is no THE government, but “t he country,” “the
State,” the Federal Government” each having their own regulations. If
one government was directly responsible for these things, as in
Britain, we would feel over governed.

Actually there is an awfully lot of local government in Britain, which
we inherited, so this centralization is more theoretical than we like
to admit. As I say, they are theoretically centralized and we are
theoretically federalized. But we have about as little contradiction
of Washington here as they do in Britain.

The last thing I would recommend to someone running for President
would be to talk all that much about housing regulations. But I have
lived in Britain, which is the only reason I happen to know why
Griffin has to.

I am acutely aware when I am an outsider. Not least because I am
enough of an insider to know what an outsider can MISS.

But I think a bumper sticker saying “Is there not enough room in the
WHOLE WORLD for ONE Danish Culture” would be excellent in that
country. It would not interfere with anything they are doing, and
bumper stickers are an American specialty."

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2009/11/20/go-bnp/