Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Life After Man

Life After Man

Posted by Bob on September 30, 2009 at 7:41 am

"“Life After Man” hints that man disappears from the earth because of a catastrophe. I wrote an article about the end of the SST (Supersonic Transport) but I forgot to explain WHY I wrote it. This relates to the likelihood of man disappearing from the earth, not with a bang, but without any noise at all.

It also relates to primitive islanders who believe that dreams are
just as real as waking life. Social anthropologists and psychologists
for a while thought this was a Great Insight.

One major reason dreams are not the same as waking life is that you
can dream of destroying the world and it won’t make any difference
when you wake up. Cut to the nub, this means that dreams are real to
YOU, but they are not real to me. In other words, the big difference
between reality and dreams is actually a matter of COMMUNICATION.

Historically, reality has been moving faster, among other things.
Since the beginning of flight daredevils and test planes would break a
speed barrier, and in a decade or two that new speed would be routine.

Until the SST. The SST took passengers across the Atlantic at a
maximum speed of 2.2 times the speed of sound, a good three times as
fast as jet aircraft did routinely. But instead of becoming routine,
as speed records has been before, transoceanic aircraft went back to
the 500 mph speed they had had for decades and there is no sign anyone
is looking for anything faster.

The reason for this goes back to the fact that reality is primarily a
means of communication. The reason ocean liners were replaced by
planes was because people needed to get across the ocean in less than
a week or two. But there was not adequate need for human beings to get
across in a few less hours.

If you need to communicate with somebody that fast, you use light
speed communications.

All those cities that “Life After Man” showed collapsing exist simply
because people NEEDED to be near each other. Note the past tense. A
century ago the central city was the place of the future because the
inevitable future of industrial society required people to live close
together.

Actually one phase of Life After Man was here over a generation ago.
Harlem, which was a very upper class area when the New York Metro was
build often looks like what is depicted a century after Man
disappeared in the documentary. The area around the University of
Chicago turned into the same kind of ruin from being totally upper
crust in the same period.

In fact the main reason we have any trace left of worrying about where
anybody is because computer speeds are so low.

Let’s take a concrete example. It used to be that a detective wanted
to be on the scene.” Now being “on the scene” means very little
compared to getting photos and samples for the lab. Eye witnesses used
to be everything. Now photos are essential and far more valuable.

In fact, the trouble with Big Foot is that we have eyewitnesses but no
photos, and all the eye witnesses on earth are no substitute for one
photo. Photos don’t take psychedelic drugs like shamans. Photos don’t
get schizophrenic and have voices talking to them

Above all, photos have no imagination at all. They are pure
communication, at least as compared to what we used to think of as
pure communication. If someone takes the SST to Europe to talk to
somebody, you can bet he will insist on recording what is said.

Spending a fortune to talk face to face is not much use if the results
will not be believed unless they are recorded. It is easier to record
light speed communications.

In the 1950’s the epitome of Modern Man, “The Man in the Grey Flannel
Suit,” lived in Connecticut. Every morning He got up at the break of
dawn, put on his coat and tie, drove some miles to the train station,
took the train to Grand Central Station, then took the subway many
miles to his place of work.

Every day he walked from his office to the subway, took the subway to
the train station, and spent an hour or two going back to Connecticut,
walked to his car and drove it back home. He got home in time to hit
the sack.

Dawn to late night, every day. Very few people do that today, though I
am sure many still do. When “The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit” was
written, this was considered the Way of The Future.

When computer speeds get to a certain level, you will be able to see,
smell and taste at long distance, with the sort of advantages a photo
has over a memory. Where would “we” BE then?

I cannot predict where our physical bodies will be then. They probably
won’t be in any tall buildings.

This is a continuing theme of this blog. “Progressivism” depends
absolutely on a PREDICTABLE Future. And the LAST thing the future ever
is is predictable.

Actually that is not strictly true. History shows that the future of a
BROWN civilization is as predictable as the life span of an ant
colony. Every time you look at the ruins of a civilization that went
down and stayed down the people there have brown skins, black hair,
and brown eyes, which is what we call Diversity. There are no such
places in the white world.

If the progressives have the future they demand, it WILL be
predictable."

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/

Life can get no better than this Don Pearce[_3_] Pro Audio 21 July 6th 09 08:40 PM
the AIM of LIFE algaga Vacuum Tubes 0 September 29th 07 09:46 AM
the AIM of LIFE algaga Tech 0 September 29th 07 09:43 AM
the AIM of LIFE abdo911 Pro Audio 0 September 29th 07 09:42 AM
tnka ya massa,you spoke my name!or-"everything I need in life is that I see my name on the net" or-"virtual life is more than life" Choky Vacuum Tubes 0 March 9th 05 06:24 AM