Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Just received a new conrad-johnson GAT preamp

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 06:30:44 -0700, Alan N wrote
(in article ):

snip---------

While what you say may well be true, None of that justifies a $20,000
price
tag. Fact is, it doesn't matter how limited the edition is or how 'highly
rated' the brand is, the unit could have been hand-made, one-at-a-time,
with
silver wiring throughout by an aerospace electronics company using
MIL-Spec
parts and procedures and it still wouldn't justify a $20,000 price tag! In
fact that was the point of my post. There is nothing in the thing. It was
built using a handful of parts (not counting the digital control
circuitry,
which is so cheap these days that even $200 receivers use it) and,
essentially, very simple, cook-book tube circuitry.

Clearly, you are not familiar with the cost of doing things in an Aerospace
Electronics company using MIL spec parts and procedures - I don't think you
could do the final inspection for $20,000, in fact I am positive you
couldn't put the paperwork in place to begin production for ten times that.

but your intended point is that it's overpriced - and it isnt' built using
aerospace procedures and processes
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:18:13 -0700, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Except, that's NOT at all what I said. I said that even if the thing WERE
built with MIL spec parts and procedures it wouldn't JUSTIFY a price of
$20,000. Clearly, it's priced at $20,000, even without being built by a
Loral or a Lockheed-Martin. Speaking of Lockheed, My first job out of
college was at the old Lockheed Missile And Space Company where I worked for
five years, three of which were in the "cable lab" doing research on wire,
insulation, and connectors. And after that, I worked for a number of years at
GTE Sylvania on military radar, and subsequently for British Aerospace and
Electronics working on ground-based combat vehicle systems. So don't try to
tell me that I'm not familiar with the cost of doing things in the Aerospace
industry.