Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.audio.misc
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

Default An unsoliticted rave review (and a question)

I initiated what turned out to be a lengthy and very interesting thread
just about a year ago when I asked for opinions on improving my desktop
audio system. My trusty old Cambridge SoundWorks system had gone flaky
(intermittent failure of the subwoofer's power supply, I believe), and
I was looking for a replacement.

After a lot of research on the web and listening to what folks had to
say here, I settled on a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. After a lot of
set-up fiddling and re-fiddling, I was pretty happy with it. However,
I noticed that I never "got lost" in the music, simply listening while
forgetting whatever else I may have doing. I was also troubled that I
was forced to use the iTunes equalizer's "loudness" setting at +11 dB
gain to achieve satisfactory results. (I'm a purist and always prefer
flat settings whenever possible.)

After reading a wealth of positive things about the E-MU external audio
interfaces and the AudioEngine 2 powered speakers and growing more and
more dissatisfied with what the Klipsch system was delivering, my itch
needed scratching so I took a deep breath and ordered the E-MU 0202 USB
unit -- I didn't feel as though I needed all of the features that the
highly touted 0404 model offers -- and a pair of the AudioEngines.

I received them yesterday -- Christmas comes early! -- and got them all
set up in very little time. The E-MU is a nifty little box and the AEs
are simply beautiful (although I'll admit I'd prefer they had grilles
to protect those pretty silk dome tweeters). Based on advice I gained
reading reviews of the AEs, I mounted 1" rubber feet on them to boost
them off of the desktop a bit and prevent mid-bass surface augmentation
many mentioned.

I then took the time to re-EQ everything (all 25,000+ selections) in my
iTunes database to Flat +0 dB before firing it up . . .

Oh, my goodness! I've auditioned them with every sort of music I can
throw at them, and they are truly amazing: Female vocals are especially
breathtaking. Joni Mitchell never sounded so good! Detail and imaging
are very impressive. Since I added both the interface and the speakers
at the same time, I'm not sure how to apportion the credit, but I'll be
happy to pass the Klipsch system along to my stepson (who'll be equally
happy to receive it). No turning back!

These guys will play at relative high volume without straining my ears
or themselves. I've chosen to set the volume control (inconveniently
positioned on the back of the left speaker) to maximum and control the
level with the buttons on my keyboard, but that leads me to the one and
only thing I'm disappointed with or at least don't understand. I had
anticipated that the "Direct Monitor" pot on the E-MU unit would serve
as a master volume control, but the only thing it seems to do is boost
the noise floor (read "hiss").

Can somebody explain what the purpose of the control is intended to be?
It includes a button to select stereo, mono, or off (I assume, because
neither indicator lamp is lit). I've read through the manual and still
don't understand what I'm missing.

Actually, I do have one other nit to pick: The headphone output is very
low and won't drive my AKG K-240s to anything like satisfactory levels.

That aside, however, I'm finding myself absolutely transported to other
worlds listening to this setup. I am continually forgetting what I am
supposed to be doing at the computer and just getting involved with the
music, and that's what it's all about.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,rec.audio.misc
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

In article , Curmudgeon
wrote:

[...]

Following up my own posting with another question, probably a dumb one.
The E-MU allows for sampling rate selection (44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96 kHz).
Am I correct in assuming that this selection applies only to inputs? I
can't hear any effect on the output signal when I fiddle with it. And
by the way, I should have mentioned this in my original post: All of my
source material in iTunes is AAC-encoded at 128 kbps and 44.1 kHz. The
machine itself is a Macintosh G4 ("Digital Audio") accelerated to 1.47
GHz, 1.5 GB RAM @ 133 MHz, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 PCI cards, two 160
GB Seagate Barracuda internal drives, running MacOS 10.4.11 and iTunes
8.0.1 (11). Sorry for omitting these details (which might be important
but probably not) in my original message.

Cheers!

Mudge

--
"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this motel will be standing
until I pay my bill."

A review [email protected] Audio Opinions 13 October 26th 05 11:12 PM
A MUST READ Review... WENW Marketplace 0 November 11th 04 11:46 PM
Looking for PAR-review Samuel Groner Pro Audio 4 March 21st 04 07:20 AM
Funk Logic Rave Doug Lumpkin Pro Audio 0 August 26th 03 06:16 AM