Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

Default possible to combine Rode NT5 and Schoeps ?

I read recently (can't recall where, maybe here ?) that the electronics
inside the Rode NT5 were modelled on or closely resemble that of the Schoeps
SD family. Thus I'm wondering whether it might be possible to use the NT5
body with a Schoeps MK capsule (eg 2S or 2H or 4)and gain most of the
Schoeps sound at something of a discount price ? Perhaps someone owning both
might like to try this and comment on the results ? I can't think of any
reason why it might prove a risk to either of the items electrically, but
I'd have to add the caveat of "do it carefully and don't bugger up the fine
threads on the capsule" since that is the most likely source of
incompatibility ! Would love to know whether its a feasible idea or just
hare-brained ?
Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ray Thomas wrote:
I read recently (can't recall where, maybe here ?) that the electronics
inside the Rode NT5 were modelled on or closely resemble that of the Schoeps
SD family.

Sort of.

Thus I'm wondering whether it might be possible to use the NT5
body with a Schoeps MK capsule (eg 2S or 2H or 4)and gain most of the
Schoeps sound at something of a discount price ?

90% of the sound of a microphone comes from the capsule and grille design.
You'd have a lot better luck putting that Schoeps capsule on an NT5 body.

Perhaps someone owning both
might like to try this and comment on the results ? I can't think of any
reason why it might prove a risk to either of the items electrically, but
I'd have to add the caveat of "do it carefully and don't bugger up the fine
threads on the capsule" since that is the most likely source of
incompatibility ! Would love to know whether its a feasible idea or just
hare-brained ?

It would take some powering modifications and also some very expensive fine
machining work, but you could probably make it work. I have put B&K lab
mike capsules on conventional bodies... the result was suboptimal because the
conventional electronics can't supply a high enough polarization voltage
but the response is good even if the noise floor is higher than it should
be.

How to combine two stereo inputs into one output? Rich Billionaire Audio Opinions 6 September 13th 08 04:35 PM
How to combine two stereo inputs into one output? Rich Billionaire Pro Audio 7 September 13th 08 04:35 PM
Combine 2 Audio Sources Brad Tech 4 July 24th 06 08:41 PM
Can I wire/combine two caps together?? ElGalanazo Car Audio 6 February 27th 06 02:42 AM
Schoeps CMBI or Rode NT4 PhiloMertz Pro Audio 2 March 23rd 05 11:05 PM