Posted to rec.audio.misc
[email protected] mark@gowans.org is offline

Default Building a SubWoofer into a Step?

Hello,

Just had a new study added onto my home and took the opportunity to
wire for some home cinema.
I'm struggling to find a sensible place to place a subwoofer and so
wondered whether I could build my own into a step into the room?

I've got a step-down into the room that's a convenient wooden box of
around 80cm x 80cm x 20cm (wdh). Does this sound like a suitable
candidate for conversion into a subwoofer? If so - any suggestions on
how I should begin? (my existing rather puny woofer is an active unit
which would pretty much fit on it's side inside the step) - but I'm
guessing I could do something better than this?

Cheers,

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Hello,

Just had a new study added onto my home and took the
opportunity to wire for some home cinema.
I'm struggling to find a sensible place to place a
subwoofer and so wondered whether I could build my own
into a step into the room?

I've got a step-down into the room that's a convenient
wooden box of around 80cm x 80cm x 20cm (wdh). Does this
sound like a suitable candidate for conversion into a
subwoofer? If so - any suggestions on how I should begin?
(my existing rather puny woofer is an active unit which
would pretty much fit on it's side inside the step) - but
I'm guessing I could do something better than this?

I have a number of friends who have built subwoofers into their houses.

Some used closets for the enclosed volume, others used their basements.

Your biggest design challenge may be figuring out how to keep debris from
dropping onto the woofer cone and rattling. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.misc

On 6 Aug, 13:50, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

I have a number of friends who have built subwoofers into their houses.

Some used closets for the enclosed volume, others used their basements.

Your biggest design challenge may be figuring out how to keep debris from
dropping onto the woofer cone and rattling. ;-)

Are there any guidlines for placement of the driver it's-self? Should
it be entirely enclosed within the casing with just an external port,
or should the driver face out the cabinet with separate holes drilled
acting as a port?

Any guidance very much appreciated..

Cheers,

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.misc
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
Hello,

Just had a new study added onto my home and took the opportunity to
wire for some home cinema.
I'm struggling to find a sensible place to place a subwoofer and so
wondered whether I could build my own into a step into the room?

I've got a step-down into the room that's a convenient wooden box of
around 80cm x 80cm x 20cm (wdh). Does this sound like a suitable
candidate for conversion into a subwoofer? If so - any suggestions on
how I should begin? (my existing rather puny woofer is an active unit
which would pretty much fit on it's side inside the step) - but I'm
guessing I could do something better than this?

Cheers,

Mark

You have about 4 cu ft. The box may need reinforement so all sides
are secure from vibration. I guess a max 10 inch woofer could be used or two of
them. You can use smaller ones but 10 is going to be the best bet.
For a closed box, as an example find a woofer with a box requirment of slightly
less than 2 cu ft. and use two of them. If you got a car audio 2 ohm woofer,
then you could series them for 4 ohms. You could get a plate amp from Parts
Express for the amplification.

I say closed box just for simplicity. The woofer type determines whether
it will work in a closed box. Most car audio drivers are for ported box.
The box will need rubber feet else it needs glued to the floor so it does not walk.
On a rug may be sufficient.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.misc

wrote in message

I have a number of friends who have built subwoofers
into their houses.

Some used closets for the enclosed volume, others used
their basements.

Your biggest design challenge may be figuring out how to
keep debris from dropping onto the woofer cone and
rattling. ;-)

Are there any guidelines for placement of the driver
it's-self? Should it be entirely enclosed within the
casing with just an external port,

The port if any, and the front of the speaker should vent into the room.

Any guidance very much appreciated..

You're just building a subwoofer enclosure, pretty much like any other.

Check out any of the many sites devoted to do-it-yourself subwoofers, for
example:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...subwoofer.html

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

http://www.io.com/~patman/shivasub.html

http://www.scrounge.org/speak/subwoof.htm

etc.

Someone pointed out that your enclosure is about 4 cubic feet. I've built
12" subwoofers into boxes that size, with good results. One key is getting
a subwoofer driver with the volume displacement required for the bass
extension you desire, and another is matching the box to the subwoofer
driver.

ghij118 ghij118 is offline
Junior Member

Smile welcome to www.cheap-mesos.com

runescapemaple storymaple story mesosrunescape goldrunescape moneywelcome to www.goldsrunescape.com to buy runescape money.
RuneScape Gold

stupid question step up or step down? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 February 5th 08 11:03 PM
24V to 48V step-up H Pro Audio 18 September 14th 05 09:35 PM
Step By Step Instructions For A Free Photo IPOD Buck Marketplace 3 January 30th 05 09:25 PM
Next step? Chris M Pro Audio 3 July 5th 04 12:06 PM
step by step photo guides johnjay69 Car Audio 3 November 7th 03 11:11 PM