Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc, rec.audio.opinion, rec.audio.misc
MINe109 MINe109 is offline

Default Recommendations for Computer Speakers?

On Jan 6, 12:49 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
On 6 Ian, 08:33, MiNe 109 wrote:

With horn tweeters, there's always the Charmin mod.

Scented Charmin or un?

Aroma therapy can be calming, note.

Did you first learn of this mod on www.pcabx.com?

No, from discussions of the Yamaha NS-10.

Stephen

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

The Queen sends her emissary to enlighten the dark-dwelling denizens of
Usenet.

And what did you mean by "tat"? I'm asking on behalf of we who speak only
standard English.

tat
noun
1. tastelessness sicby virtue of being cheap and vulgar
a tasteless thing

If that's the meaning you meant, your usage is inapt. Is English your
first language?

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc

Clyde Slick said:

With horn tweeters, there's always the Charmin mod.

Scented Charmin or un?

Aroma therapy can be calming, note.

Did you first learn of this mod on www.pcabx.com?

Doubtful. Krooger doesn't believe in flushing away valuable ... uh ...
material.

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

jobar writes:

Todd H. wrote:
Eeyore writes:

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Donkey brayed:

They are after all simply over-hyped Chinese tat.
Did you say "tat"?
I did.
And what did you mean by "tat"? I'm asking on behalf of we who speak only
standard English.
WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This

tat
noun

1. tastelessness sicby virtue of being cheap and vulgar

a tasteless thing

Okay, on behalf of millions of men who want to know, I need to ask
"So where can I get this 'tat' and more importantly, where can
I trade it for the other?"

Sometimes 'tit' for 'tat' will be traded.

Shhhh. It's not funny if you have to explain it to em!

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"George M. Middius" wrote:

If that's the meaning you meant, your usage is inapt.

It's 100% correct.

Chinese tat = cheap, vulgar, tasteless item made in China.

Graham

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc, rec.audio.opinion, rec.audio.misc
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 6 Ian, 15:05, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast . net
wrote:
Clyde Slick said:

With horn tweeters, there's always the Charmin mod.
Scented Charmin or un?
Aroma therapy can be calming, note.

Did you first learn of this mod onwww.pcabx.com?

Doubtful. Krooger doesn't believe in flushing away valuable ... uh ...
material.

tho he does wipe his ass with $100 checks.
Instead of flushing them, he goes to the bank to try and cash them,
despite the smell.
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Poopie goes splat.

If that's the meaning you meant, your usage is inapt.

It's 100% correct.
Chinese tat = cheap, vulgar, tasteless item made in China.

The modifiers "vulgar, tasteless" are meaningless with respect to
electronics. Cheapness implies poor performance, poor reliability, and/or
poor longevity. One out of three is pretty bad.

Is English your first language?

Barn owl got your tongue, Donkey?

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Marc Neveux Marc Neveux is offline

On 2008-01-01 12:55:45 -0800, Curmudgeon said:

All -

Sorry for the extensive crossposting, but I wasn't sure which group was
best targeted by this request for information and opinions.

Thanks to the generosity of my brother, I have $200 to spend at Amazon
and I have determined that my primary need is a new set of speakers for
my Macintosh. I have loaded my entire CD library into iTunes and would
like to begin using it as the playback-system-of-choice so I can begin
selling off these little silver coasters. Everything's been encoded as
AAC (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz), so the quality should be pretty decent.

I have been running an original Cambridge SoundWorks system until just
recently, but unfortunately it began cutting out on me as it warmed up.
I'm certain that I could have it repaired, but I wanted to see if there
might be a better system available to replace it. (In the meantime, I
have been limited to an original set of Bose Roommates. They make some
noise, but it isn't very pleasing!)

The only demands I'll place on my new system are music reproduction (of
all genres). I am not a game player, nor do I expect to use the system
for surround-sound DVD playback. I just want a set of speakers that I
can plug in, sit back, and enjoy.

Please let me know what you would recommend and, more importantly, what
you'd avoid. If I need to spend a bit more than $200, that's OK.

And for the record, this is a 466 MHz G4 Macintosh running OSX 10.4.11
and iTunes 7.5 (although I can't imagine why any of that should matter
very much).

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all!

Mudge

For the last year I've been using the Bose Companion 3's and they are
by far the best speakers for a computer I have ever used. The are
connected to an iMac G5 and are primarily used for music via iTunes.

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
stevericks stevericks is offline

I imagine what you are hunting is someone to say -X are great, get them; y
are horrible so avoid.

In making your decision, keep in mind the following:
1) How good are your ears? You can end up throwing dollars at sound you
will never really hear. After 20 years of music training, I can "hear"
music pretty good. I have visited some friends houses where they wanted to
show off their new expensive Bose system. My first reaction (and that of
another well trained musician there also) was -ugh, you got rooked (of
course we acted like we liked them, to be polite).

2) What type of music do you listen to? If you want the throbbing
bass-then, there are speakers that do that more effectively than others.

3) What size room and how loud do you listen? This will likely play a role
in the RMS watts. If it is a bedroom and you don't plan on breaking glass,
under 100 watts will likely be plenty.

I picked up a pair of inexpensive Phillips MMS321 desktop speakers at
Christmas to listen to music in my home office, played through the computer,
under $60. It is a 2.0 system with 40 watts RMS, 80 peek. As I wanted
something to fit on my desk and wasn't interested in a subwoofer, these have
been fairly good. No, they don't give the thump, thump, bass vibration that
you can "feel." But I mainly listen to big band and jazz, especially
trumpet playing. They do very well in the mid and upper range, and cover
enough of the bass that I can live with it. Again, bought for want I
want -limited space, 12 ' x 12' room, not wanting to knock the wall down,
main frequency interest in mid and high range.

Best of luck. Let us know what you get.
Steve

"Curmudgeon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

stevericks wrote:
[...]

Dude, Dude...do try to keep up. This thread is about a hundred posts
long, and the OP has already selected, ordered and received his
preferred speakers. He's even given a couple of listening reviews.

I know it's tempting to reply if you don't check the group often...at
least scroll down to the bottom and work up before.....

jak
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
David C. David C. is offline

Curmudgeon writes:

Thanks to the generosity of my brother, I have $200 to spend at Amazon
and I have determined that my primary need is a new set of speakers for
my Macintosh. I have loaded my entire CD library into iTunes and would
like to begin using it as the playback-system-of-choice so I can begin
selling off these little silver coasters. Everything's been encoded as
AAC (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz), so the quality should be pretty decent.

I've been very happy with Klipsch's ProMedia 2.1 system.

-- David
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Warren Oates Warren Oates is offline

In article
,
MINe109 wrote:

No, from discussions of the Yamaha NS-10.

I have those in my living room. Very nice. I've never padded them,
though. The pair I have are more than 20 years old.
--
W. Oates
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

On 2008-01-01 12:55:45 -0800, Curmudgeon said:

All -

[...]

"no highs, no lows, it must be BOSE".

Some people are gluttons for aural punishment.

Graham

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Warren Oates wrote:

MINe109 wrote:

No, from discussions of the Yamaha NS-10.

I have those in my living room. Very nice. I've never padded them,
though. The pair I have are more than 20 years old.

They are shockingly coloured. The reason studios often had a pair was to
see what a mix sounded like on indifferent hi-fi speakers.

Graham

Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc

Eeyore wrote:

They are shockingly coloured. The reason studios often had a pair was to
see what a mix sounded like on indifferent hi-fi speakers.

I know. We called them "****-box" speakers (we also had these tiny
little Auratones), but they sound great in my living room with my QED
amp, which is also about 20 years old now.
--
W. Oates
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:

Warren Oates wrote:
MINe109 wrote:

No, from discussions of the Yamaha NS-10.

I have those in my living room. Very nice. I've never padded them,
though. The pair I have are more than 20 years old.

"If Your Mixes Sound Good on These, They Sound Good on Anything"

There's a variety of opinions on these once ubiquitous monitors. Not my
cup of tea, but I've seen them put to good use by audio pros.

The tissue paper mod is also popular with them.

Graham

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

In article , David C.
wrote:

Curmudgeon writes:

Thanks to the generosity of my brother, I have $200 to spend at Amazon
and I have determined that my primary need is a new set of speakers for
my Macintosh. I have loaded my entire CD library into iTunes and would
like to begin using it as the playback-system-of-choice so I can begin
selling off these little silver coasters. Everything's been encoded as
AAC (128 kbps, 44.100 kHz), so the quality should be pretty decent.

I've been very happy with Klipsch's ProMedia 2.1 system.

-- David

Thanks, David! That's exactly the system I settled on, and I have been
using (and tuning) it for a couple of days now. I've discovered that as
much as I stubbornly wanted to continue using a totally flat EQ profile
in iTunes, the system sounds best if I use the "Loudness" profile. I've
got the subwoofer volume set to the recommended 10:00 position.

I also initially believed that I wouldn't need to boost the preamp gain,
but discovered that at 0dB the sound doesn't audibly distort even at the
highest volume setting -- this is a very gradual volume control -- so I
am playing around with boosting the preamp. I think I've settled on +11
as an optimal setting, just short of full blast. (I have the computer's
output set to 100% for maximum flexibility.)

One thing that has really impressed me about the Klipsch system is that
it seems to do its very best work with the most challenging material. I
listen to a wide variety of music, but have found these guys are awesome
with respect to reproducing "classical" stuff, and the more dynamic the
better. (I've been listening to a lot of Bartok for the past few days.)

I'd be very happy to hear back from you about how you've got your system
set up. I'm pretty sure you're also a Mac guy since I believe I've seen
a "David C." contributing to the Mac groups I frequent.

For the record, I've got a 466 MHz G4 w/1 GB RAM running OSX 10.4.11 and
iTunes 7.5. My library currently stands at 21,061 selections (all AAC @
128 kbps and 44,100 kHz), and just past 72 days if I select the "Random"
function and let it go.

Cheers!

Mudge
Posted to comp.sys.mac.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
dizzy dizzy is offline

Eeyore wrote:

"no highs, no lows, it must be BOSE".

Hehe. Don't forget the missing mid-bass, which, if it was there,
would be above the flatulent, one-note woofs of the "Accoustimass
module", but below the capabilities of the ****ty little "tweeters" in
their ****ty little plastic cubes.

Some people are gluttons for aural punishment.

Well, there's one born every minute, it's been said...

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
stevericks stevericks is offline

The last number of posts addressed the original question, just as I did.
Sorry-I have a life and don't always read 50 posts on every topic, though I
did read the most recent. If it offends you, don't read them. Dude
"stevericks" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
David C. David C. is offline

Curmudgeon writes:
David C. wrote:

I've been very happy with Klipsch's ProMedia 2.1 system.

I'd be very happy to hear back from you about how you've got your system
set up. I'm pretty sure you're also a Mac guy since I believe I've seen
a "David C." contributing to the Mac groups I frequent.

I didn't spend nearly as much time tuning mine. I also set the
"subwoofer" knob to the "10:00" position indicated on the control. The
subwoofer sits under my desk, with the speakers on a small shelf just
above my monitor.

For setting the volume, I set the Mac to it's maximum output, and set
the volume knob to a position that makes my system alert-chime come out
at an acceptable level, and leave it there. I use application-specific
volume controls (in iTunes, the DVD player, etc.) to make adjustments
from there.

Yes, I'm a Mac guy. And you've probably seen lots of my posts (I'm
reading this thread via comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc). I'm also a Linux,
Solaris, OS/2 and Windows guy, but I don't spend much time on those
newsgroups anymore. (Don't bother searching for posts, I had a
different e-mail address back then.)

For the record, I've got a 466 MHz G4 w/1 GB RAM running OSX 10.4.11
and iTunes 7.5. My library currently stands at 21,061 selections (all
AAC @ 128 kbps and 44,100 kHz), and just past 72 days if I select the
"Random" function and let it go.

Dual 1GHz PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver 2002), 1.5G RAM, OS X 10.4.11, iTunes
7.5.

You've got me beat for the music collection. I've got 9227 tracks
(about 40.5GB), with a total play-time of about 30 days. Plus six more
CDs that I haven't yet ripped. The older material was ripped at 128K
AAC. The material ripped more recently is using 128K VBR AAC.

(And it's all legal. Ripped from about 800 CDs, plus about 90 iTunes
Store purchases.)

-- David
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Howard Brazee Howard Brazee is offline

Default Moving my old computer speakers to my iMac

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:19:35 -0700, Howard Brazee
wrote:

I just got a 24" iMac and noticed it had one speaker plug. The
speakers I have available are a pair of Acoustic Research Powered
Partner 570s, and a Logitech Z640 5.1 system that's plugged into a
Phillips PCS805 Aruilium sound card that's USB'd to one of the two
Windows machines I'm giving away.

What options do I have without spending more money?

Note: Obviously, since the Logitech has front and back input plugs,
I can't plug them all into the iMac directly.
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Howard Brazee Howard Brazee is offline

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:09:55 -0600, MiNe 109
wrote:

That "speaker plug" is a mini stereo output that can also drive
headphones.

You'll need a mini stereo to RCA(s) patch cord to hook up the Powered
Partners. I'd try that first, as those sounded pretty good.

That is easy, they sound good, but I would be giving up 5.1 stereo and
some tight desk space.

One thing that is inconvenient is that the headphone jack is in the
back, next to the speaker jack. That would be OK if my speakers had
a headphone jack in them the way the Logitech speakers do, but is a
pain when I want to switch between the two. I'm new to Macs - maybe
I could plug in an extension cord for my headphones and switch via
software.
Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Howard Brazee Howard Brazee is offline

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:25:03 -0600, MiNe 109
wrote:

I'm still confused. My iMac doesn't have separate headphone and speaker
jacks, just the one and a line in. If you're willing to spend some
money, an AirPort station could feed the Partners, freeing up the
headphone jack.

It's hard to read those little symbols back there with my aging eyes,
and my computer is brand new. One symbol looked like headphones,
another looked like speakers.

The Phillips PCS805 Aurilium should work with your system, although my
USB preamp (Yamaha CAVIT) lost its USB ability when I upgraded to
10.4.11. Maybe someone from the mac groups can help me!

I guessed it might - but wanted advice from people who have more
experience than I have. Maybe there's no reason for 5.1 on a Mac.
Maybe I'd loose significant fidelity. Certainly my AR speakers sound
good, even if they don't have the convenience of a headphones jack.

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:25:03 -0800, MiNe 109 wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

[...]

Or, you could buy a pair of USB speakers.

The Phillips PCS805 Aurilium should work with your system, although my
USB preamp (Yamaha CAVIT) lost its USB ability when I upgraded to
10.4.11. Maybe someone from the mac groups can help me!

Stephen

Posted to comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.misc
Chris Kidd[_2_] Chris Kidd[_2_] is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
. net...
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:25:03 -0800, MiNe 109 wrote
(in article
):

wrote:

[...]

Use an 1/8" stereo y connector (1 male to 2 females). Plug the phones into
one jack and the speakers into the other with the 1/8" to rca males. Turn
off the speakers when you want phones only.