Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
fishfry fishfry is offline

Default Dumb Q -- non-powered speakers connected to TV-out

I just bought a pair of JBL Control1X speakers. They have traditional
connecting posts (two wires, one to each post).

My tv-out jacks are RCA plugs. I took a pair of RCA-RCA plugs and cut
each one of the pair; separated the signal and ground, and plugged the
signal into the + post, and the ground into the - post of the speakers.

However, no sound comes out.

Somone on a Web forum had told me this setup would work ... but of
course they could be wrong.

Do I need to have an amp between the tv-out and the speakers?

Or should the speakers work the way I did it, and perhaps something else
is wrong?

I formerly had some powered computer speakers plugged in to the tv-out
jacks, and they work fine.

If I need an amp, what's a good one to get? This isn't a mega home
theater setup, I just want to put a pair of speakers on my tv.

Thanks, I hope this question's not too dumb.
Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:47:17 -0700, fishfry
wrote:

I just bought a pair of JBL Control1X speakers. They have traditional
connecting posts (two wires, one to each post).

My tv-out jacks are RCA plugs. I took a pair of RCA-RCA plugs and cut
each one of the pair; separated the signal and ground, and plugged the
signal into the + post, and the ground into the - post of the speakers.

However, no sound comes out.

Somone on a Web forum had told me this setup would work ... but of
course they could be wrong.

You can make the connection but the signals are not appropriate.

Do I need to have an amp between the tv-out and the speakers?

Of course. The RCA outputs are not amplified and the speakers require
amplified signals.

I formerly had some powered computer speakers plugged in to the tv-out
jacks, and they work fine.

That's because they have amps in them.

If I need an amp, what's a good one to get? This isn't a mega home
theater setup, I just want to put a pair of speakers on my tv.

Google for T-Amps. Used to have them at Target.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
Art Art is offline

I have a 1987 Mitsubishi TV that still works like new that has a built in
amp to power external speakers. But few tv's have that feature.

"fishfry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
Vitamin R Vitamin R is offline

"fishfry" wrote in message
I just bought a pair of JBL Control1X speakers. They have traditional
connecting posts (two wires, one to each post).

My tv-out jacks are RCA plugs. I took a pair of RCA-RCA plugs and cut
each one of the pair; separated the signal and ground, and plugged the
signal into the + post, and the ground into the - post of the speakers.

However, no sound comes out.

Nope, you gotta have an amplifier. Check out Best Buy for a nice home
theater amp, you should be able to get by with one in the $199 range.

Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
John Carrier John Carrier is offline

General Rule of Thumb: RCA plug = line level output. Binding Post =
speaker level output. TV's rarely have speaker level outputs.

Exception to the Rule: Bose is so cheesy, they use RCA plugs for some their
speakers (and about 24 gauge wire).

R / John

"fishfry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio,alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,alt.home-theater.announce,rec.audio.misc
DaveW[_3_] DaveW[_3_] is offline

Yes, you need a power amplifier betweeen the TV audio outs and the speakers.
The audio-out RCA jacks on your TV are pre-amp output jacks. They put out a
tiny signal for an amplifier to boost to drive the speakers.

--
DaveW

"fishfry" wrote in message
[...]

Question about USB-connected and -powered preamps David Nebenzahl Tech 7 April 27th 06 09:45 PM
Powered Speakers versus Powered Mixers [email protected] Pro Audio 9 February 23rd 06 03:09 PM
D.A.S powered speakers JGreen Pro Audio 0 May 26th 04 07:43 PM
Powered Speakers? MS General 24 October 27th 03 03:37 AM
Powered Speakers Billy Bee Pro Audio 0 September 8th 03 05:24 PM