Posted to rec.audio.misc
Gary[_6_] Gary[_6_] is offline

Default Identyfying A Capacitor

Hi can anyone tell me the value of this very old capacitor i have in an
amplifier

It is about 1cm wide by 2cm tall. it has three thick colour bands on it,

Reading from the bottom up they go: Black, Red,Orange

Thanks
Gary

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Gary wrote:
Hi can anyone tell me the value of this very old capacitor i have in an
amplifier

It is about 1cm wide by 2cm tall. it has three thick colour bands on it,

Reading from the bottom up they go: Black, Red,Orange

Thanks
Gary

Does this help?
http://www.pmel.org/Handbook/HBpage26.htm
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Gary wrote:
Hi can anyone tell me the value of this very old capacitor i have in an
amplifier

It is about 1cm wide by 2cm tall. it has three thick colour bands on it,

Reading from the bottom up they go: Black, Red,Orange

Or maybe this one:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/capcccalc.html

Or heck, just start he
http://www.google.ca/search?q=capacitor+color+codes
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gary wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me the value of this very old capacitor i have in an
amplifier

It is about 1cm wide by 2cm tall. it has three thick colour bands on it,

Reading from the bottom up they go: Black, Red,Orange

I think a picture will be necessary.

Can you post to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Gary[_6_] Gary[_6_] is offline

Hello Matt

thanks very much for the first link it very useful

now do i read the colours from the bottom up or the top down.

Also this cap only has three colour bands does that matter?

The circuit only runs on 25v dc

Gary

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Gary wrote:
Hello Matt

thanks very much for the first link it very useful

now do i read the colours from the bottom up or the top down.

Also this cap only has three colour bands does that matter?

The circuit only runs on 25v dc

Really hard to say without a picture of the cap. Is it ceramic, mylar,
tantalum, electrolytic, etc.?
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gary wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me the value of this very old capacitor i have in an
amplifier

It is about 1cm wide by 2cm tall. it has three thick colour bands on it,

Reading from the bottom up they go: Black, Red,Orange

Do they look anything like these in construction ?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MULLARD-C280-Capa... QcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-022uf-Mullard-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-MULLARD-C280-...QQcmdZViewItem

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Fred Wilson Fred Wilson is offline

Try this; it is a URL to an instruction of how to identify a cap:
http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Capacitor_codes

Maybe it will help....

Fred

CAPACITOR FABIO61 High End Audio 1 July 29th 05 04:44 PM
capacitor FABIO61 Pro Audio 1 July 27th 05 06:27 PM
who needs capacitor? amydeng2001 Pro Audio 1 June 14th 05 02:22 PM
Capacitor Help Kirby Car Audio 10 December 26th 04 06:35 AM
capacitor Bryan Car Audio 3 December 5th 03 06:15 AM