Posted to rec.audio.misc
[email protected] grummanf6f@hotmail.com is offline

Default Connecting computer to amp causes great interference

Hello all,

I wanted to copy old vinyls to CD, so I got me an RCA-to-minijack
cable, and connected it to the TAPE2 rec out of my Yamaha RX-530 tuner
amplifier.

After fiddling with the computer line in adjustments, I found a
suitable level for recording, and the transfer works nice. But if the
minijack is connected to the computer, I have much noise in the
regular outputs, loudspeakers and headphone. If I disconnect the jack,
it goes away.

Is there something I am doing wrong here, or is it that the cable
itself is faulty?

Thank you in advance!

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I wanted to copy old vinyls to CD, so I got me an RCA-to-minijack
cable, and connected it to the TAPE2 rec out of my Yamaha RX-530 tuner
amplifier.

After fiddling with the computer line in adjustments, I found a
suitable level for recording, and the transfer works nice. But if the
minijack is connected to the computer, I have much noise in the
regular outputs, loudspeakers and headphone. If I disconnect the jack,
it goes away.

Is there something I am doing wrong here, or is it that the cable
itself is faulty?

Thank you in advance!

You have not said what type of noise, but a ground loop would be the most
likely to cause a problem in this context.

Try disconnecting any connection to a cable TV system. If that's not it, you
could try audio isolation transformers as someone else suggested, though
personally I'd just lift the ground for the computer. People think this is
dangerous, but it's really not. The ground just goes to the computer case,
that's all. You'd have to have something inside the power supply short to
the case before lifting the ground would ever be a problem.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
DaveW[_3_] DaveW[_3_] is offline

You have an electrical fault in your system. What you are doing should work
otherwise.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

I wanted to copy old vinyls to CD, so I got me an RCA-to-minijack
cable, and connected it to the TAPE2 rec out of my Yamaha RX-530 tuner
amplifier.

After fiddling with the computer line in adjustments, I found a
suitable level for recording, and the transfer works nice. But if the
minijack is connected to the computer, I have much noise in the
regular outputs, loudspeakers and headphone. If I disconnect the jack,
it goes away.

Is there something I am doing wrong here, or is it that the cable
itself is faulty?

Thank you in advance!

Posted to rec.audio.misc

On 4 syys, 02:36, "DaveW" wrote:
You have an electrical fault in your system. What you are doing should work
otherwise.

--
---------------------
DaveW

Okay, I'll try to fix that somehow. How does one ground a laptop
computer? It's an Acer TravelMate 8100.

Thanks for all your hints & tips, folks! Appreciate 'em very much.

Posted to rec.audio.misc

On 3 syys, 14:12, "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
You have not said what type of noise, but a ground loop would be the most
likely to cause a problem in this context.

Try disconnecting any connection to a cable TV system.
Mark Z.

This was it! I just unplugged the radio aerial and the noise
disappeared. Now I get quality CDs from my vinyls,

thank you so very much!