Posted to rec.audio.misc
[email protected] erables40@gmail.com is offline

Default splitting audio

How many times can I split the output from my sound card or rec out
from amp to go to 3-4 other amps around the house to have a whole
house audio sysytem. Or should I use some kind of audio splitter? How
do clubs connect so many amps to one source?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
DaveW[_3_] DaveW[_3_] is offline

You will destroy the sound card's output devices if you try to power
multiple amps directly from it.

--
---------------------
DaveW
wrote in message
ups.com...
How many times can I split the output from my sound card or rec out
from amp to go to 3-4 other amps around the house to have a whole
house audio sysytem. Or should I use some kind of audio splitter? How
do clubs connect so many amps to one source?

Posted to rec.audio.misc

On Jun 20, 6:37 pm, "DaveW" wrote:
You will destroy the sound card's output devices if you try to power
multiple amps directly from it.

--
---------------------
wrote in message

ups.com...

How many times can I split the output from my sound card or rec out
from amp to go to 3-4 other amps around the house to have a whole
house audio sysytem. Or should I use some kind of audio splitter? How
do clubs connect so many amps to one source?

Ok any suggestions???
How many splits can i do?
Is it better to split from rec out of amp?
I can always daisy chain but some amps I am using don't have a record
out. Can I split in 2 from amps that have record out and daisy chain
from there???

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

DaveW wrote:
You will destroy the sound card's output devices if you try to power
multiple amps directly from it.

Nonsense. If the input impedance of each amp is (only) 10K you could put at
least 100 amp inputs in parallel before it would load the output of the
sound card, which can run smaller speakers of 8 or so ohms.

Sound quality is another issue... I've never favored the sound quality of
analog outputs of ordinary sound cards.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ups.com ]

How many times can I split the output from my sound card
or rec out from amp to go to 3-4 other amps around the
house to have a whole house audio sysytem.

Depends how sensitive the inputs of the other amps are. Depends on the
sound card. There are two classes of audio interfaces or as you put it,
sound cards. One is the consumer audio interface that puts out a maximum of
a volt, and is usually designed to drive headphones - which are low
impedance loads. The other kind of audio interface is designed for audio
production use, puts out 2-8 volts, and is designed to drive other pieces of
audio production gear, which is a moderate-impedance load.

If you use receivers for your power amplifiers, their line/CD/AV inputs are
designed to work with signals on the order of a fraction of a volt. This
isn't a bad match for a consumer audio interface, and you can drive many
receivers through simple Y-cable splitters.

In a household context, the low cost Sherwood stereo receiver runs about
$80-100, sounds pretty good, and gives the local user a fair amount of
control over what they are listening to.

Or should I use some kind of audio splitter?

Depends on your needs. The formal name of an audio splitter is a
"Distribution Amplifier".

How do clubs connect so many amps to one source?

A mixture of y-cables, distribution amplifiers and crossovers.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "DaveW" wrote:
You will destroy the sound card's output devices if you try to power
multiple amps directly from it.

I never saw a sound card schematic, but most line devices have output Z's from 50 to 500 ohms.
At 500 ohms you can still feed multiple amps.

greg